• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Jujutsu Kaisen Lies to You

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:10 am Reply with quote
Junpei is a decent example, I think; at least until the episode where he actually died, I probably would have given better than 50% odds he was going to get power-of-friendship'd into the core party. I'm not sure I buy the others as examples of subversions, though; or, at least, they didn't work in the same way for me.

Subversion was also never really what drew me to JJK, though. I mean, I like a good subversion, and the Junpei bit was a decent piece of writing--but JJK for me has mostly been about shounen fundamentals executed well, with the primary twist being more in atmosphere and vibes, just because horror/shounen is such an unusual combination. (It's really lost me lately, though; the Shibuya arc marked a considerable downturn in quality of writing, IMO.)
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Huuummm... can somebody tell which trope do JJK suberts?

I have been thinking for a while and I can't name a sole one, if anything, the series's appeal comes from being the perfect generic jack of all trades anime, it does nothing particular bad but it also doesn't excel at anything.

I think the inner demon trope has been subverted in this series rather well. Most other shonen series has the MC slowly overcome their inner demon & actually tame them to their advantage but in JJK, we see time & time again that Itadori gets royally screwed almost everytime Sukuna shows up instead of being a last second helping hand. From the direction the series is going, it honestly doesn't look like we'll see Itadori taming Sukuna anytime soon. I remember seeing people's reactions to the end of the Itadori vs Choso fight, thinking Sukuna will end up saving him at the last min but instead he was saved by some other plot convenience.

Dunno about this one...

Naruto is the only series I have seen the friend thingy, however I can name various series/games where the character either subjugates the demon with will power or they separate and then fight because they never got along, from the top of my head:

- Saint Seiya.
- Fairy Tail.
- Wild Arms 2.
- Bleach.
- Berserk.
- Ocarina of Time's manga.

Sukuna would have helped Itadori if he was in real danger though, I don't believe for a second his "I don't care" speech, Itadori already had 3-4 fingers at that moment, thats 1/7-5 of his powers, Sukuna would been an idiot to let that power just disappear.

Now, he has way more, the author realized that too, that's why he gave Itadori more fingers, the moment he eat the 3th one Sukuna became a HUGE plot armor, by giving him more power now he is a danger more than anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2