• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Disney CEO Bob Iger States Company Will Roll Out Password-Sharing Restrictions on Disney+ in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
varmintx wrote:
I feel like streaming has run its course. It feels so old and outdated now. We need a new method for companies to distribute media...perhaps on some sort of physical object that we can just buy and own outright. That way, if we wanted to share it, we could just hand it to our friends/family. You also wouldn't have to worry about the companies arbitrarily just removing it, or bandwidth limitations, or service interruptions, and the audio/video can be much higher quality. Yeah, this definitely sounds like the way of the future.

Cute, but we all know they’re not going to go back to that method except for collectors.

What we really need is for streamers to fold and the market to consolidate. The sooner whoever buys Paramount puts Paramount Plus out to pasture, the better.

fair point but I'm tire of hearing people complain "why is my favorite show gone from streaming? I thought that if paid my sub to PBS, Hulu, Amazon etc I could stream that series forever!!" I'm tired of explaining to boomers and even zoomers that you don't own anything that stream, you're paying a fee to rent these series. You own nothing..

Sorry for going off on tangent but I needed that off my chest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:38 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
varmintx wrote:

I feel like streaming has run its course. It feels so old and outdated now. We need a new method for companies to distribute media...perhaps on some sort of physical object that we can just buy and own outright.

Cute, but we all know they’re not going to go back to that method except for collectors.

And many brick-and-mortar stores, especially Best Buy, have stopped or severely reduced carrying them, so less sales and higher prices
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:15 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
Something similar has already been tried. It is called cable and is by all reports dying.

To be fair I was talking specifically with regards to streaming services having everything available in one place but yeah.

Actually, so was I. One of the biggest complaints you see from "cord cutters" is that they felt they were paying for a lot of junk channels they would never use. Now trying to get what they do want with streaming ends up costing as much if not more.

Additionally, if a company got big enough to collect most of the current streaming platforms into one, they would likely create bundles intended for the largest sectors of the general public. The chances of an "anime only" bundle while possible seems unlikely.

Realistically, the streaming market has several years of shakedown turbulence to go before it stabilizes. We will likely end up with 3 or 4 really big streaming services and a few niche ones for subjects like anime. And then a new technology will come along and disrupt the whole thing.

For what it is worth, the closest we will get to "all (or most of) the anime in one place" is Crunchyroll. Having achieved that, for some reason a lot of people are still unhappy. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2