• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Earthsea Wins "Raspberry Award"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear finally Goro Miyazaki has earned something by himself.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Guess I have something to ask him next week. Now the problem is how to ask this question without being rude....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Guess I have something to ask him next week. Now the problem is how to ask this question without being rude....

Good luck with that.

I know that Ursula K LeGuin wasn't particularily pleased with this adaptation (though I think she liked it a lot better than the live action one that ran on the SciFi channel) but other than that I didn't really hear anything bad about it. Then again, I don't think I really heard much about it at all.

The Da Vinci Code definitely deserves that spot, all that hype and it was uh...yeah, not so great. I don't quite understand how it became such a huge rage, since apparently the book, while better, isn't all that well-written, generally being considered, to quote a Chapters employee I discussed this with, as being "entertaining trash."
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
That movie was very controversial, It was even banned from my country [Philippines-mostly Roman Catholics,Christians]. It was said that the content was unacceptable, and that it might sway weak juveniles beliefs. Plus, it was very critical towards the bible.
Lame. That crappy movie is just about as much a threat to the world's most powerful religious organization as the Passion of the Christ is responsible for the Holocaust. I'm sad the Philippines chose to do that; but, considering my experience with governments in South East Asia, it isn't that surprising...

I mean, it's just an average thriller novel/now movie using some real world stuff, mix and match add conspiracy theories, and voila! A controversy-provoking bestseller.

By the way, just to make it clear, I'm not having a real opinion yet. I'll have to see the movie first anyway. Only then can I decide between if the Japanese critics make sense and Goro ought to learn some trade or if they are just talking out of their collective behinds for some grudge against Junior and his entrance into the business.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote
I just can't figure out how Earthsea could be worse than other animated movies that came out last year like Naruto 3 or Pokemon 9. Just seems like they're either being exceptionally critical of Earthsea or exceptionally forgiving of the other movies.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote
The thing is, no-one except the fans expects Naruto and Pokemon movies to be any good. But Ghibli has a reputation to uphold. "Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds" and all that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess this means Goro won't be going round to mum and dad's house for dinner anytime soon. Wink
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I just have to wonder two things:

1) Like many others have said, is the movie that bad? I mean, is there little to no substance in terms of plot, are the characters that badly handled, and was there no technical merits to the movie (the last of the three impossible consider it's Ghibli).

2) I have a feeling had Hayao Miyazaki been behind this and produced similar results, this thing wouldn't have won the Raspberry award. Similarly, if Goro Miyazaki had been at the helm for Howl's Moving Castle, it wouldn't have gotten the praise that it has received (not offense to fans of the movie). That might just be my pessimism seeping through, though.

While I haven't obviously seen the movie, true, I can't imagine it being that god-awful of a product.

Viga_of_stars wrote:
i thought earthsea was great? it wasnt?

A lot of online critics weren't too fond of it, apparently.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I think these critics are being too harsh on a young man who is trying to follow in his father's great footsteps, and are expecting to see the same greatness that his father has had many years to perfect. This is Goro's very first attempt and I would love to see it shown along side his father's first attempt to compare which was best, or worst. That would be the only fair comparison Wink
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The Rasberrys aren't really supposed to be a serious award to determine the absolute worst movie of the year (obviously the winners usually do suck), but rather what the public perceived as the largest failure. In this case, we have a film from the son of the most successful living Japanese director that made alot of money yet only garnered so-so reviews. By most accounts I've heard it isn't terrible, but it was a disapointment considering the amount of attention it got. Same thing about the Da Vinci Code. It wasn't the worst movie of the year (especially considering the source matterial was just as lame) but the amount of press and hype it got made the end product seem even worse in the public eye.
andrael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:20 am Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
That movie was very controversial, It was even banned from my country [Philippines-mostly Roman Catholics,Christians].

Um, that's not true. The DaVinci Code was NOT banned in the Philippines. I watched it in cinemas, as did most of my friends and acquaintances. The Church wasn't exactly happy about it, but it didn't get banned.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
The Rasberrys aren't really supposed to be a serious award to determine the absolute worst movie of the year (obviously the winners usually do suck), but rather what the public perceived as the largest failure.

I wonder if this is just how Japanese view things as opposed to Western audience. Last month when the Kuso awards were posted here I recall Coyote Ragtime being at the top of the list. I find it hard to believe this show was the worst series of the year (judging by vol.1) but can easily see it being both overhyped and disappointing. I have a feeling that disappointment and failure to live up to potential is viewed as worse than a film that is expected to be bad in Japan.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
andrael wrote:
KAtchan15 wrote:
That movie was very controversial, It was even banned from my country [Philippines-mostly Roman Catholics,Christians].

Um, that's not true. The DaVinci Code was NOT banned in the Philippines. I watched it in cinemas, as did most of my friends and acquaintances. The Church wasn't exactly happy about it, but it didn't get banned.
They weren't too happy until the tourists started increasing and spending more money at the Vatican gift shops. Then the objections cooled to "just remember it's only fiction".
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
They weren't too happy until the tourists started increasing and spending more money at the Vatican gift shops. Then the objections cooled to "just remember it's only fiction".
I see..wow as long as money's involved.LOL
andrael wrote:
It wasn't? Wow that's a surprise,must've missed it [on tv], sorry for the wrong Info. I actually saw this[about the banning] news on "World Tonight" here on NYC. Guess they figured they won't ban it after all,probably because of all the profit they can earn from it. Yeah some of my family members. watched it too [here], they were curious what all the hype was about.
[OT:Man...I hope I can go on vacation there this summer,roundtrip ticket is expensive though, gotta go with my folks of course. It's changed so much, can you believe I haven't even been to the mall of asia. Shocked]
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:22 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
omar: I figure Tom Cruise would be a shoe-in.

he is to busy battling Xenu and South Park fans. besides, haven't we picked on him enough? wait...nevermind your right!

also Tom Hanks is my homie and all but that haircut in Da Vinci alone is worth the Rasberry.

Earthsea? Maybe not so much.

the sap has spoken
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3