• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Finalists Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Why are there nominations for FLCL, Akira, Gravitation, and Ranma 1/2? There's no logic behind that whatsoever.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
Why are there nominations for FLCL, Akira, Gravitation, and Ranma 1/2? There's no logic behind that whatsoever.

The reason AAA said was that to be nominated all you had to do was be available on DVD.....no release date or anything like that. That why we have shows that are really old (Although good shows) in with the newer shows that were released in 06.
saikori

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Best DVD Package Design
Bleach Vol. 1
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing Ultimate 1--Limited Edition Steelcase
Naruto Uncut Box Set Vol. 1

How did Trinity Blood Box get beat out by these??
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kaitou Marina wrote:
Best DOES NOT EQUAL most popular, dumbwits. Just because something plays on Adult Swim DOES NOT MEAN it's the BEST ANME EVAR OMG!!!1!11!! But of course, voters still passed over gorgeous series like Gankutsuou, Princess Tutu and Utena, so let the MAINSTREAM PARADE begin!

I agree with you to an extend popular does not mean best, I thought FMA is a deserving show to be on most of the list, but titles like Gankutsuou are over looked because basically no one bought them.

Kaitou Marina wrote:
As someone with more varied taste in anime, this list makes me furious. Especially the severe underrepresentation of shoujo. Way to marginalize, voters.

You do know that you were the voter right? This was a fan voting process it's basically the people (Or Otaku) choice awards....presented by ADV! So you can't be too surprised that all popular series are on the finals list...I mean it's basically most of the series/movies that were on [AS] or were big sellers.
Brakus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

keep in mind a majority of those fans who voted probably only knew about the shows they voted for. Inuyasha, Samurai Champloo, FMA, and naruto are shoved down cartoon network veiwers throats.

I take issue with that statement - I think Naruto and InuYasha have had a lot more promotional time than either Samurai Champloo or FMA. Honestly, I think FMA was one of the most poorly promoted anime series on [as], and yet it's still very popular. I mean, FMA had built-in popularity with the fanbase since it first came out in Japan, but such a good show needs to be promoted more than just during [as] hours.

FMA most certainly has NOT been shoved down our throats, especially on [as]. Maybe that's why it still does well on the repeats (which will shortly conclude after the current lap ends next week); still, FMA should have a bigger audience than just the usual fanbase that already love the show.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm not too disappointed with the way it turned out. Yes, I do think it is flawed and I don't agree mostly with how it turned out, but there are a few selections I do agree with. Personally, I thought that Naruto and FMA were both good choices, but I didn't agree with the rest of the finalists for the best long series award. Whether or not those two deserve to win, I am not in any positon to say because I admitedly haven't seen some of the ones you guys have listed that deserved to be on there, and I'm sure they not only deserve to be nominated, but also to win as well.

Thing is, let's say this wasn't a popularity contest. I think that FMA would still do well challenging at least for the actual win against the other competition. But in Naruto's case, I think it would get on the list but just barely and come in last, because in my opinion, it deserves to at least get nominated. And if not that, it would deserve to get nominated in other categories as well.

I do think, however, that it does kind of feel a little unsatisfying that they get a chance to win just because they were the most popular, and not because they were actually good. I'd much rather see them win for being the best rather than being the most popular. Someone suggested in the other forum that we have both a people's choice style awards show and an actual professional awards show, and I think I agree with this. Because to some degree, I like the Idea of us as fans getting a chance to say what we like and not what some snooty critics like.

Personally, I don't really like awards shows all that much. I mean, I admit it is kind of fun to see if anything I like gets on the final list or wins, but I don't really care what either the critics or other fans thinks is good, but rather what I think is good. If Naruto or FMA wins, awesome. If they don't, that's ok. If they win because of popularity, oh well, that's life. If they don't win because of popularity, same thing. If they win by vote of intelligent people, way awesome. If they don't win or even get nominated by vote of intelligent people, once again, oh well, that's life. These are just all opinions of different kinds of people, which they are all entitled to. But I am also entitled to my opinion as well, and I don't really care about what anyone else thought.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
saikori wrote:
Best DVD Package Design
Bleach Vol. 1
Fullmetal Alchemist

If FMA on that list is referring to the movie I have no issues with that, nor the Hellsing OVA. Hellsing has that really great figure, and also the artwork on that metallic case is really nice. FMA (movie) LE had an book that has the great binding and slipcase, it was well worth the wait for the LE. But your right the fans dropped the ball here,

Bleach has nothing special, Final Fantasy has decent extras but this is suppose to be about packaging. The naruto Box set is alright looking, but I don't think it's as good as Trinity Blood/Basilisk.

Trinity blood had all that great artwork and also had hinges that opened the box! And also Basilisk (I know Samurai KYO also did) had that wooded box which I really enjoyed as well.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
Edit: Does anyone know if there's going to be anime awards that are given out by just critics? I mean something similar to Oscars, where fan voting is allowed but it's a very small percentage and the majority of the votes are from critics.

I'm supportive of the intent of the AAA, but I'd rather see critics awards myself. I'd work with others to make them a reality, but I don't think anime fans are best served by another set of awards at this time... what do you think ?

Maybe this is just my inner West Coaster talking but I think anime fans would be very well served by an Oscar-like awards program hosted by a certain California con that actually has "anime" in its title and is not a "comic" con pretending to be interested in anime even though TV-hating manga nerds will be the ones most likely to show up anyway and the whole point of being in New York was to be closer to book publishers in the first place.

I mean, why wouldn't Anime Expo be the REAL place for an American Anime Awards? They already have most of the major anime industry players coming every year, including a handful of Japanese companies, they're in the anime capital of the US (California's Asian population is not to be trifled with), and their actual focus IS on the Japanese popular arts. Not ... goddamn picture books or fhqwhgads.

So let's have a critic-driven awards program, and then the judging panel can enjoy their own hateful backlash for being "Elitest Bastards" (sic) and promoting a gay agenda or a race-relations agenda or a shounen action series agenda or an anti-moe agenda or WHATEVRAR.

Whatever happens, it doesn't matter if an awards program is based on popularity or quality, it just changes the target of the blaming and name-calling, and you'll never please all of the people all of the time, so you might as well just piss off all of the people all of the time.
potassium

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The long anime category leaves me confused. Naruto, okay; yes, that's long. Inuyasha, sure. But then they've got Samurai Champloo, with twenty-six episodes. To be long, is the only qualification you can't watch it all in a single day?
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
So let's have a critic-driven awards program, and then the judging panel can enjoy their own hateful backlash for being "Elitest Bastards" (sic) and promoting a gay agenda or a race-relations agenda or a shounen action series agenda or an anti-moe agenda or WHATEVRAR.

My thoughts on why there should be a critic based awards are pretty simple. While series like Gankutsuou may not be a very popular among casual fans, but I think that among critics it's one of the highest rate series.

And also I think that other series/movies (Requiem from the Darkness, Twelve Kingdoms, Monster, Master Keaton) that are often overlooked that do get nominated (or win) that in turn will turn more people onto these really great shows.
belisarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Two problems

1) Best actor/actress = pointless if you don't watch dubs. I'm not debating one or the other here, but as someone who's pretty much sub only (unless I've been drinking heavily and can't be bothered with reading) I really have no idea who these people are or what they sound like. I'm probably not the only one.

2) No Gankutsuou in best long series? No Hare Guu in best comedy series? No credibility in your awards.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
saikori wrote:
Best DVD Package Design
Bleach Vol. 1
Fullmetal Alchemist

I saw that at Best Buy once, it looked pretty cool. Out of all of those Hellsing and Naruto were the only ones that had somewhat unique packaging. Naruto's was a little generic but you gotta give them props for putting out that many episodes on one set.

After seeing this year's finalists I seriously don't see how they plan to make this an annual thing without putting some rules on what can be nominated. It should only pertain to what's been released on dvd in the year or aired on television/theaters or the same things will be nominated every year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FMA most certainly has NOT been shoved down our throats, especially on [as]. Maybe that's why it still does well on the repeats (which will shortly conclude after the current lap ends next week); still, FMA should have a bigger audience than just the usual fanbase that already love the show.

Compared to series that are DVD only releases and never see play on television the statement fits. A series may have a lot more hype surrounding it which draws in more and more viewers, some may even cater to a larger audience where as a better series is not quite as mainstream. Viewership number don't really matter all that much but unfortunately in a contest such as this that's about all that does matter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I mean, why wouldn't Anime Expo be the REAL place for an American Anime Awards? They already have most of the major anime industry players coming every year, including a handful of Japanese companies, they're in the anime capital of the US (California's Asian population is not to be trifled with), and their actual focus IS on the Japanese popular arts. Not ... goddamn picture books or fhqwhgads

AX already has the SPJA awards which are somewhat questionable in the way they are carried out..

It's a public voting award system like AAA, but voted on only by attendees to AX. I'd be all for AX making a "critics choice" award program provided it was accessible to non-attendees and that the critics didn't have to attend either...

-t
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
this is just a crap marketing stunt for ADV. I am glad the only adv release in the finalists is Elfen Lied.

This was never a marketing stunt exclusively for ADV Films. It doesn't benefit them very much to run a popularity contest style award when they don't have any of the most popular shows. They were aware from the start that they had very little chance of winning any of the best series awards...

It is a marketing / PR oriented endeavor, but it's not a "lets promote ADV anime titles" stunt.

Personally I think ADV deserves credit for trying to give this to the anime community and industry.... Sure they benefit, but mostly from the fact that they get to broadcast the event on TAN. Other than that, they don't benefit much more than any other company that has titles nominated... The real beneficiaries are the companies with the blockbuster shows, Funimation and Viz.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4