• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beijing Bans Horror Stories Based on Death Note

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobinobita

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So it is ok to oppress because they can't catch everyone?

My point is that the Chinese people are not automatons who blindly follow the government. Just because the government says something, doesn't mean the people automatically follow it or believe it.

The US government bans marijuana, yet millions of Americans continue to smoke it. The Beijing government may try to ban something as innocuous as Deathnote books, but the kids will keep making them.

I'm not trying to be devisive or superior or anything. I'm just trying to paint the Chinese people in a human light. We are thinking, breathing human beings, not just robots or statistics. It's sad that when I share my individual human oppinion, you must undermine it with accusations of government brainwashing.

If you want to know what life in China is like, then please go there and talk to the people and see how they live. Don't base your opinions solely on numbers and articles and words written by people you've never met. I mean, that's a good starting point. Obviously, not everyone can have the luxury of traveling the world as they please. You can't experience everything first hand. You are obviously someone who likes to do research and stay informed. That's great! But you also must realise that there's a world beyond literature.

I guess, if I must make a statement it is this: please do not confuse the actions of the Chinese government with the values and actions of the people. If you really want to have a discussion about this, please don't rush in with insults and accusations. You should aim to have a dialogue, rather than a diatribe.
ericf-

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
nobinobita wrote:
Quote:
So it is ok to oppress because they can't catch everyone?

My point is that the Chinese people are not automatons who blindly follow the government. Just because the government says something, doesn't mean the people automatically follow it or believe it.

In New Zealand, Chinese university students have the highest statistics for cheating in tests. I guess that technically supports your argument. Laughing

Though, in all seriousness, point taken. The Chinese people aren't just mindless drones, but I think the main argument in this topic is against the government itself. After all, there wouldn't need to be so many bannings if people did exactly what they were told, and a government that altogether bans something as trivial as a stationery fad, as well as shoving aside popular foreign shows to make room for a less popular but more local broadcast, and manufacturing mobile excecution devices will always be regarded as abnormal by western society because we're generally more sensitive toward people's rights and freedom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2