• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Building New Headquarters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Kiriska wrote:
What Texas doesn't take away in income taxes, it takes away in sales tax. So FUNi makes more money, but those buying merchandise out of Texas lose more. Haha.
The price of goods would be less if you removed the imbedded national income taxes corporations pass on to customers.
True, but I would also like to add that FUNi pays those sales taxes as well. Anytime that the company buys something, they pay the same sales tax as everyone else. And trust me companies buy lots of stuff, so don't underestimate the impact of those have as well._I understand Richard that you are talking about the 'Fair Tax'. But most people have no understanding of how that works(or have been told lies about it) so its not worth bringing it up here. You end up just getting silly ill-informed flame. But yeah, hopefully we will see something like that within the next ten years, it would put American companies on an even playing field with the rest of the world.

darcerin wrote:
Does this mean Funimation will be hiring in the future to fill that space?
I don't remember where, but I saw a few months ago them hirring some more salary staff. So I would imagine that the expansion will include an expansion in staff. How big? Who knows? That could be like one person, or 20.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Yes there building a new building to have a Voice Actor training room build. That way they can homebrew all their own talent that will work for nothing.
Somehow I doubt Funimation pays that much less than any other group. Of course, in their case, it seems like the actors also direct, do scripts, and a host of other duties so even if they aren't getting paid as much for the actual acting they are still likely receiving a fairly decent paycheck.

Personally, I'm all for them having a training room and new cheap talent. It means that unlike Geneon or Media Blasters, Funimation will continue to use good English VAs for it's dubs rather than using crappy Odex dubs or no English dubs at all. Besides, isn't one of the big complaints people like to have about English dubs is that they use the same people over and over? (Well, at least people say that all the time with ADV dubs and it was mentioned in passing about the Haruhi dub.)

New talent, new voices, same great Funimation script work. (Well, at least I think their script work is great. Only my opinion, though their excellent sales might be evidence in my favor.)

@: Dargonxtc: Yeah, that was kind of dumb of me to start bringing up something political. I just never have been able to grasp people's love of the income tax when a sales tax is so much better. It's like people enjoy having their paycheck cut nearly in half before they can even cash it.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
so Funimation and ADV are both based here now. Texas is becoming the anime capital of the US.

FUNimation has been out of Ft. Worth since they started, and now they are going to be in Flower Mound. ADV is in Houston. Illumitoon is in Ft. Worth.
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:26 am Reply with quote
Oh my, such rampant confusion here about taxes. Corporate taxes are very different from income taxes, folks. I live in a state with no state income tax, yet companies are fleeing here because the corporate taxes are so repressive. I'm not familiar with Texas' corporate tax structure, but in any event I doubt that's why Funi chose to locate there. I'm thinking it's more likely just the fact that they (and ADV) "grew up" there. It's not that easy to just pick up shop and ship off to another state. Plus, taxes are not the only reason a company would locate in a certain place.

Also, for all of you so enamored with the sales tax (should I be typing this in really small print?) you should maybe give it a little more in depth thought. It's pretty commonly accepted among economists that a sales tax is one of the most regressive tax structures possible. It places a higher tax burden in terms of percentage of income going to taxes on the poor. It also plays havoc with state government's budgeting when you live in a state with only sales tax. Every time the economy fluctuates and people's spending patterns change the state's revenue stream goes up and down as well.

As far as Funi getting a new headquarters, maybe now they will have room in their warehouse for some bigger subtitles instead of using the half sized ones they have now. Anime dazed
Lonecow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
I just want to chime back in and say that I pay plenty in income taxes. I don't know who started the rumor that Texans don't pay income taxes, but it's very much false false false.

Like the poster above said, corporations are the ones with the tax breaks. Remember George Bush was Texas' Gov before President, so he made sure big businesses had better benefits then the actual citizens.
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Funi is going to have their very own building! Cool! Cool

Now they can have Ultra Casual Fridays on Thursdays and PJ Mondays without pissing off the other tenants.

Not to mention the basketball games in the Atrium! Scooters in the hallways!

Lessee, what else are they able to do now?

Oh yeah! More space to work on getting us more new anime! Now that's Ultra Cool! Cool Cool Laughing

Every day is Casual day! (unless we have our Japanese partners come in then we dress up!)
We did start up a company softball team so yeah off-season practices can be indoors! I don't think we have the scooters approved yet but we're trying! Wink
Although we still have some DBZ Skateboards... Hmmm...

The nice thing about Texas is we're a Right to Work State. So in terms of Voice Acting you don't have to belong to the Union like most places based in California, New York, etc.

It'll be nice to be in a new space, right now we are starting to get a little cramped and there's now only a few more empty cubicles scattered about.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:28 am Reply with quote
Welcome back, FuniRepBlue! LOVE the Makona hat and I'm enjoying the heck out of Tsubasa! Just to be off topic a tad.

Here to hoping that you and Red get nice LARGE cubicles so that y'all can visit us more here on ANN!

Enjoy the new building...and here's hoping that Funi hires movers to move you guys...I helped move the department store where I work from one end of our mall to the other...it WAS NOT FUN! Professional movers are much, MUCH better!
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
I just want to chime back in and say that I pay plenty in income taxes. I don't know who started the rumor that Texans don't pay income taxes, but it's very much false false false.

Like the poster above said, corporations are the ones with the tax breaks. Remember George Bush was Texas' Gov before President, so he made sure big businesses had better benefits then the actual citizens.

Here is Texas, we pay federal income tax. Many states also have a state income tax, if I am not mistaken, Lonecow.

Congrats to Funi on their new construction. Smile
FUNiRepBlue (disabled)
Company Representative

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Welcome back, FuniRepBlue! LOVE the Makona hat and I'm enjoying the heck out of Tsubasa! Just to be off topic a tad.

Here to hoping that you and Red get nice LARGE cubicles so that y'all can visit us more here on ANN!

Enjoy the new building...and here's hoping that Funi hires movers to move you guys...I helped move the department store where I work from one end of our mall to the other...it WAS NOT FUN! Professional movers are much, MUCH better!

Thanks it's actually from the Tsubasa Gaia quest. I just decided to slap the hat on my avatar too. Last month I was using the pirate patch to celebrate One Piece. I think the new Gaia quest starts tomorrow for another Tsubasa item. If it's cool maybe I will switch em out!

I know they are going to use professional movers so it should be an easy move when it happens. Back when I was still at Gamestop we had professional movers when we went to our new building then. It's amazing what those guys can do over a weekend!
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
Deleted.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
Hey, maybe with all of this they can sort their bitrate problems out.

Wait, wishful thinking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2