• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jump Square to Replace Monthly Shōnen Jump in November

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tebalith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I think you might have misunderstood me, and I should have been more clear. I did not mean Busou Renkin with the previous failure. This was in regards to Gun Blaze West, the series he did between Kenshin and Busou Renkin, which only lasted 28 chapters. He explained its failure with improper planning; he started doing the series when he did not feel fully comfortable with the concept.

Quote:
At the latest we will probably hear from Watsuki next year, cause I'm having doubts that his next series will be serialized coming this November.

Why are you having doubts? In any case, his name is among the ones listed on Jump Square's website, and those all seem to refer to the November issue.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
tebalith wrote:
testorschoice wrote:

There are already a couple of issues with that livejournal post. The Morita-Obata work will be a one shot, not a running manga. The official website lists Kaido, Kazu, and Fujiko as working separately, not together. Shueisha has already said that Katakura's Kurohime will not run in the magazine itself, but on a related website. Another Katakura manga will run in Jump Square instead. Denba teki na Kanojo is an old Katayama and Yamamoto novel published three years ago. The magazine might publish a sequel, but not the original Denba teki na Kanojo.

Some of the mistakes have already been corrected/discussed in the comments of the LJ post - keep in mind that the post was made a week ago. New info has since become available, and has been reported, such as the Morita/Obata work being a oneshot.

I looked through the the comments and the later posts on the livejournal, and only one of the corrections (the Morita/Obata work being a one-shot) has been noted. Everything else above hasn't. Actually, the Kurohime web serialization was reported like two months ago.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Was Buso Renkin just not as popular with Japanese readers? I didn't expect it to last only 10 volumes.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I believe Busuo Renkin was cancelled. The last couple of chapters were only available in the tankoban. So, no, it wasn't very popular.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:25 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I believe Busuo Renkin was cancelled. The last couple of chapters were only available in the tankoban. So, no, it wasn't very popular.

It's important to understand how Jump's infamously cutthroat cancellations work - each issue of the weekly magazine contains a postcard which allows you to vote for the three series you most enjoy, and be entered in a random prize drawing. If the number of votes for a series falls below a certain level for a certain length of time, it gets canceled - even if the tankoban are selling well. Buso Renkin actually sold perfectly well, just not to the people that read Jump/send in the cards. Shaman King suffered a similar fate, and a few other books have ended up moving to Ultra Jump or Young Jump because their readership simply outgrew the rest of the magazine.
Buso Renkin was canceled, by half of volume nine and the entirety of volume ten appears in Akamaru Jump, wrapping things up. A single wrap up issue for the trade is not uncommon, but an entire volume of new material is; presumably the popularity of the series in tankoban form was what justified it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Andrew: It's hard to believe that Shaman King would suddenly get canceled after being published for so many volumes, but it didn't seem to have much substance outside of the fights. I'd imagine it was boring to just introduce new teams for each new round, instead of just getting to the showdown. Ultimate Muscle can get away with that, because it's played out as a match-by-match basis, but SK is supposed to be about attaining the ultimate power, not about challenging opponents.

As for Buso Renkin, I'd imagine it did well enough, if they could get an anime out of it, but it was more likely goodwill from the success of Kenshin which led to the latter media. Watsuki seemed to really want to cash in on the tween crowd with BR, and he just copied what was popular to them(I.E. Bleach and Beet) instead of going for his own angle; and as a result, readers didn't buy it. I'm guessing the spin-off is really, once again, based on his name power.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Andrew: It's hard to believe that Shaman King would suddenly get canceled after being published for so many volumes, but it didn't seem to have much substance outside of the fights. I'd imagine it was boring to just introduce new teams for each new round, instead of just getting to the showdown. Ultimate Muscle can get away with that, because it's played out as a match-by-match basis, but SK is supposed to be about attaining the ultimate power, not about challenging opponents.

Shaman King is a unique case. Without going into details spoilers, he pulls a twist to shake up the structure, and did so without much of a plan, apparently. The momentum sort of fell apart a bit, and the story flails around for a while trying to find its legs.
At the point it ended the story has regained some direction, but his art has degenerated to the point where it was virtually impossible to follow anything that happened.

Jumbor, Takei's follow up, was a vast improvement artistically, and a pretty good book, but canceled after ten weeks. Plunging right into the plot and gradually filling out the setting and other background information as the plot rockets right along might have made it really hard for people to follow weekly, and definitely made it impossible for it to pick up new readers over those critical early issues. There's a reason most shonen manga start out with a bunch of one-shot issues or short stories.
I think Takei's another one who would benefit from a move to Ultra Jump.[/quote]
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt that 100% of Shueishas subscribers send that card in each week. I'm just questioning reader feedback statistics derived from such a small sample that they interpret as the majority. But what can we do about well unfortunately nothing because the realm of statistics thrives on minute sample taking.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

It's important to understand how Jump's infamously cutthroat cancellations work - each issue of the weekly magazine contains a postcard which allows you to vote for the three series you most enjoy, and be entered in a random prize drawing. If the number of votes for a series falls below a certain level for a certain length of time, it gets canceled - even if the tankoban are selling well. Buso Renkin actually sold perfectly well, just not to the people that read Jump/send in the cards. Shaman King suffered a similar fate, and a few other books have ended up moving to Ultra Jump or Young Jump because their readership simply outgrew the rest of the magazine.
Buso Renkin was canceled, by half of volume nine and the entirety of volume ten appears in Akamaru Jump, wrapping things up. A single wrap up issue for the trade is not uncommon, but an entire volume of new material is; presumably the popularity of the series in tankoban form was what justified it.

Yeah, I've heard of the postcard thing before. But I hadn't realized that much of it was continued in another magazine. It was apparently more popular than I had thought, to justify continuing it elsewhere for that long. I had thought that it was only the second half of volume 10 and that it was only in the tankobans.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
I highly doubt that 100% of Shueishas subscribers send that card in each week. I'm just questioning reader feedback statistics derived from such a small sample that they interpret as the majority. But what can we do about well unfortunately nothing because the realm of statistics thrives on minute sample taking.

I've seen people claim it's less than one percent.
I used to send them in to vote strategically for the books I liked that weren't very popular.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:

Obviously it isn't 100%, but if they can get a few thousand, I believe that is enough to be statistically reliable.
tinlunlau

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
i thought Fujiko Fujio is dead.
what happened here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:16 am Reply with quote
tinlunlau wrote:
i thought Fujiko Fujio is dead.
what happened here?

F is dead, A is alive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2