• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Avec-quois Les Anglais

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:18 am Reply with quote
As for French releases, the original release of Evangelion on DVD in R1 included French, English, Spanish, and Japanese language dubs, AND subs for French, English and Spanish! I got a kick out of how the Spanish dub would say the title when it flash up on the screen in the OP.

As for new releases (because I too am too lazy to email in), my Mardock Scramble and Amagami SS vol 1are already ordered, and I will be preordering Amagami 2, Squid Girl, the Clannad Blu Ray, Railgun if it ever gets released, Kimi ni todoke set 1 (I know, it's january, but it's already on my preorders), Modern Magic Made Simple is a good one too.

Some of the stuff others listed piques my interest as well, might have to look at those!

I notice there is a new Robotech release for this fall from a new publisher, English and Spanish... from "A&E", might this mean release of the ADV version of Macross as well (with that Macross only dub that was so good?).
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
On R1 titles in Quebec it gets crazier.

I really want to see The Triplets of Belleville but missed it in the theaters. The North American DVD release is only in English and Spanish, no French track for a movie that was released in French and had co-production from Canada.

I had a conversation with staff at Marche Clandestin Mangaya in Montreal last year about this annoyance.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I could see that an anime company might not want to do a translation for just Quebec but bother to do one if they plan on releasing it to France as well. I would have to see some statistics, but there's probably only a thousand Francophone anime fans in the whole province. Why go through all the work just to sell a couple hundred copies? And there's plenty of animation that's aired in Quebec that's never been translated or released for an English audience.

I find it hard enough to come up with any anime from the new season that I would want to watch, let alone get excited about. But I am curious about the new Last Exile.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I had been wondering about reruns myself for a while. Since I get the impression it's always worked like this, does that mean that anime has never been big?

What about One Piece though? That's GOT to be big. Couldn't they do season breaks with reruns in between, or even not, as I'm sure it makes enough money to get that timeslot back.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I personally have bought Castle of Cagliostro three times now

You and me both :/ VHS, regular DVD, and then the special edition DVD (and yes, I was also mad when they changed the opening into still pictures for... whatever the reason was... Very mad!!)
Why the triple dip? I don't often, but to get the "best release". VCR to DVD is obvious, but the newer version? I HATED the cover!! It was a terrible screenshot that told nothing of the movie. The newer one? Muuuuuuch better! Oh, and the newer one had a slip cover and I happen to like those.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
So... Justin is doing the Answerman column now???

Wings of Honneamise has some great animation moments, but people need to be told that the story ain't all that.

And what's the deal with Quebec. amiright people?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2