• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Medaka Box Manga Gets TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I didn't think it was that popular still. I know it gradually turned from a silly school comedy into a silly battle God-knows so that it could pool better ratings, but I didn't think it worked. I'm actually surprised it's lasted this long, considering how drastic the deviation.

And yet, I sorta figured it would get an adaptation.

That and it's a pretty terrible series IMO, mostly thanks to the characters. Same problem I've had with just about every NisiOisin product save Katanagatari. Not quite sure how it lasted this long either other than otaku completely buying into Medaka's over the top excuse for a character because she's hawt and him knowing when to change it into a dime a dozen Shonen Jump battle manga.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
But according to the most recent popularity poll, Kumagawa is almost 4x more popular than Medaka (he had 1st place with over 3000 votes while Medaka had 2nd with only 980 or so votes). So, story-wise, it's drifting in random directions but I think the characters saved the series (Kumagawa specifically).
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
J3N0V4 wrote:
Please be Gainax please be Gainax please be Gainax.

I wish SHAFT could be of the mental level to do this but in the end it's gotta be Gainax or White Fox

NOOOO I want Kumagawa to get animated not some bullshit Gainax 24-26 episode rubbish.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it until the usual romance bs pops up.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Starks wrote:
J3N0V4 wrote:
Please be Gainax please be Gainax please be Gainax.

I wish SHAFT could be of the mental level to do this but in the end it's gotta be Gainax or White Fox

The Gainax you remember is dead.

Panty & Stocking was their last show with the old staff.

Dantalian was the start of New Gainax and look how badly that turned out.

You act like Gainax had never done terrible adaptations before o_0

Melody of Oblivion, He is my Master, Shikabane, etc. Everyone knows that Gainax original shows are where the studio shines.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I took a look at the manga around... uh, June '09. I'm not really familiar with NisiOisin's more famous works, but it mainly struck me as a mediocre attempt at aping Tanigawa.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
Freakmasta wrote:
But according to the most recent popularity poll, Kumagawa is almost 4x more popular than Medaka (he had 1st place with over 3000 votes while Medaka had 2nd with only 980 or so votes). So, story-wise, it's drifting in random directions but I think the characters saved the series (Kumagawa specifically).

Ignore him, he's an idiot basing this on one volume (and some really outdated summaries). lol @ Medaka being the reason this is getting an anime, lol @ dime a dozen battle manga which it hasn't even been close to being for the last 60 chapters.

tsunayakuin wrote:
I'll watch it until the usual romance bs pops up.

Than you'll be watching every episode.
J3N0V4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Melody of Oblivion, He is my Master, Shikabane, etc. Everyone knows that Gainax original shows are where the studio shines.

No no no no no, When they finally announce they are making a The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer anime it will be a thing of glory spoiler[I'm allowed to dream aren't I?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2