• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yu Yu Hakusho Blu-Ray Season 2 Box Set

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
^

Here is what Blu-ray.com has to say about the video quality.

Quote:
For an older series, Yu Yu Hakusho looks surprisingly spry on Blu-ray, courtesy of an AVC encoded 1080p transfer in 1.33:1. The best thing about the series is the often extremely vivid color palette, which is reproduced here with excellent saturation and at times really eye popping vivacity. Line detail is for the most part quite good as well, This second season has a couple of anomalies which weren't quite as much in evidence in the first season, for whatever reason. First of all there are quite a few frame to frame alignment issues, creating slight shifts that are nonetheless pretty noticeable. There is also fleeting aliasing and something akin to motion judder as the camera moves across the individual cels, something that really didn't crop up that much in the first season's Blu-ray. These may sound alarming, but they're relatively minor issues and really only crop up for seconds over the course of over 600 minutes of programming, so don't let it dissuade you if you're interested in the series.

I cannot say myself how the quality is since I have not rewatched the series since I have gotten the BD's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting, sounds interesting. I may go ahead and get this later then. Unfortunately can't right this moment, have enough pre-orders lined up to use my disposable income.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:50 am Reply with quote
Xanas,

I have all four seasons of YYH on DVD (the current DVD version) and have recently gotten the first two seasons on BD. I bought just the first season BD by itself, then I played the first half of the first episode on DVD and the second half on BD. The difference was striking -- and I'm not a big time videophile or anything. The BD images were sharper, cleaner, and steadier. It was just a flat out better viewing experience.

Because of the above, I definitely plan on getting the last two seasons in BD and then saying good-bye to the DVD versions. The only downer is that the BD version doesn't have the cool music at the menu selection screen, but I guess I can live with that.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
This is Carl's review, his role here is to be "the Evil" one, and ANN needs that kind of reviewers, too.

This is good for viewers that consider watching certain anime, when the reviewed show is mediocre. Mediocrity has to be killed mercilessly. (Sometimes even common viewers themselves do it, giving "so-so" and "weak" marks to big-time shonen shows.)

But when the show is better than mediocre (not saying that YYH is anywhere perfect, but "very good" average mark means it is good indeed), overkill reviews harm the community, depriving unsuspecting trusting viewers some of the better works from the shonen/tournament shows, which author is not qualified to review since he obviously does not like the core rules of the genre.

However, this harm I talk about is partially negated by the fact that comments like this and some of earlier can be done, so shonen series fans can actually see through the review marks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:14 am Reply with quote
I think "deprive" is a bit strong of a word--no one is going to starve from lack of exposure to anime anytime soon. Maybe withdrawal, but not starvation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2