• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Gets Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know when abouts next year, for the DVD? That could mean anything from next month to 13 months from now.

Didn't Paprika have a rather long wait till DVD release?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
perpetual159

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Hurray for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Such an awesome film... I don't know what took them! Thanks Bandai... now, I just hope they show it in San Antonio, TX!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This should be awesome to see on the big screen, though it would have been better if someone with more distribution muscle snagged it.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
oh yes i can't wait for this!!!! I would love it for this movie to be released in Cleveland but nothing this good happens in Cleveland.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Gah, L.A. gets everything awesome. Anime hyper

I hope they show it in S.F., I really enjoyed this movie and I would love to watch it on the big screen.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quote
What will be the official English title for the North American market? I'm kinda annoyed seeing conflicting information.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm glad it's the good Bandai, and not the annoying one. Now please swipe Angel's Egg from Anchor Bay, before your Evil Twin gets it, Jerry.
Wink

What's up with you on Bandai Visual USA? Just because they are forced to sell their niche product for higher price than other companies, it doesn't mean they're bad. Niche products exist on all levels of consumer products. Not just anime alone.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I generally agree with some of the titles BV is selling at certain prices, but I don't think that their niche appeal means they should be drastically overpriced, either.
halo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
halo: The only people who lose money for paying for overpriced imports, without waiting to see if they get a domestic release, are the importers.

Anyway, I hope it's still eligible for Best Animated Film, even though halo noted a Korean dvd release of it. Madhouse keeps getting shut out of the Oscars, even though they've been the most consistent in quality anime cinema in recent years. Also, I hope Vertical picks up the novel.

Well, at $35 for a 3 disc set almost nearly identical to the R2 only with nicer packaging, I think it was reasonably priced. There's a R3 HK release (legit!) with English subs for less than $20 too.

I also think it has already failed Oscar eligibility. In any event, they would need to show it theatrically in LA first if it hasn't missed the deadline. And speaking of Oscars, the article doesn't mention TokiKake won the Japanese equivalent in the animation category, the first year animation got it's own award.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as anyone it's getting released here. I'd like to see it in a theater somewhere close by (Cleveland, Oh maybe please). Even more, I'm glad to see Bandai-ent getting away from their mecha/moe rut.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Didn't Paprika have a rather long wait till DVD release?

I dunno, but it doesn't seem like it. I just saw it in the theaters over the summer, and now it's on dvd. I guess it was a while between the license and the release, but it doesn't seem too bad factoring in the cinematic release time.

Which of course is entirely unhelpful in determining how long it will take to get Girl Who Lept on dvd.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
YES! Looking forward to picking this one up.

I have to admit I was KINDA hoping Funimation could pick it up for the sole purpose of cross promoting it with One Piece Movie 6 (I got into Tokikake after being wowed by Mamoru Hosoda's "interpretation" of One Piece and wanted to see other works). But no big deal as long as it's released on DVD by any means.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Leebo wrote:
This is awesome, can't wait to own it.

I grabbed the LE Korean box. You snooze you lose guys, fansubs aren't the only way to lose a sale.

Not quite sure what that has to do with my excitement in buying the R1 release...
aluria

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Woot, this was a good movie, be nice to see it in theatres. I got a good chance too with all the anime movies that come to Vancouver.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
halo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Not quite sure what that has to do with my excitement in buying the R1 release...

My point was that if you didn't want to wait there are other regions that have already released the movie on DVD with English subtitles. I would have waited had they announced this a few months ago but I'm happy with the nice set I got Smile I kinda wonder how long ago this deal was done?

Bandai, dub it well and keep the price down and maybe I'll have reason to buy it again.
Leebo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing that confused me was that I watched a fansub, and I didn't feel like my purchase had been "lost" as you indicated would be the likely case for late releases.

I guess that might be true for some people. But it doesn't feel like Bandai really waited excessively long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3