• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 8 Most Intriguing Uses of Western Music in Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bj_waters

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
SaharaFrost wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
How did Paradise Kiss not make this list? FRANZ FERDINAND did the ED to that show if I remember correctly.

Seconded.

In my recollection, Franz Ferdinand was only used for the American Television version of Paradise Kiss (it was broadcast on a cable channel that I never got. ImaginAsian or something like that).

I must also second the lack of Oasis "Falling Down" OP for Eden of the East. The opening itself was great and I felt the song fit very well with the show.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I love the Gankutsuou ED theme, but the opening...not so much. "Girls on Film" was also a great OP for Speed Grapher before Funimation released it over here. I'll also mention Radiohead's "Paranoid Android" for Ergo Proxy's ED. The song fits wonderfully with the series, but the ED are just wasted on scrolling credits (I think they could have done something pretty cool, especially considering how amazing the OP is).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, whoa... you missed BIG TIME by not including John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" from Ghibli's Whisper of the Heart. A song that intones that the singer wants to return to his mountain home in West Virginia should not work in this movie, yet it does, wonderfully, at multiple moments in the film. Lyrics are reworked twice for humorous and setting appropriate settings and the little jamboree session is a great high-light of the film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
What about the entire soundtrack for the first Project A-Ko movie, composed and recorded in Los Angeles by Joey Carbone and Richie Zito, or does that not count since it was commissioned for the movie not licensed from elsewhere?

I'm not joking when I say the Project A-Ko soundtrack is one of my all-time favourite motion picture scores, and I'm eternally grateful to Central Park Media for including the CD soundtrack with the 2003 DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The Legend of Black Heaven used "Cautionary Warning" by John Sykes which was pretty cool. They also used "Into the Arena" by Michael Schenker, although it wasn't for an opening or ending.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised Speed Grapher wasn't on the list, even though FUNi didn't use Girls On Film.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
SaharaFrost wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
How did Paradise Kiss not make this list? FRANZ FERDINAND did the ED to that show if I remember correctly.

Seconded.

In my recollection, Franz Ferdinand was only used for the American Television version of Paradise Kiss (it was broadcast on a cable channel that I never got. ImaginAsian or something like that).

I must also second the lack of Oasis "Falling Down" OP for Eden of the East. The opening itself was great and I felt the song fit very well with the show.

Uh, no. Franz Ferdinand has always did the ED for the Paradise Kiss anime.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
One minute warning isn't on the original soundtrack for Ghost in The Shell and it was added in the English language dub by Manga Entertainment. I personally prefer Kenji Kawai's Reincarnation in the end credits.

I personally like Remo Giazotto's Adagio in G minor and Edvard Grieg's Solveig's song in Arcadia of My Youth, of which the latter was also used in Sailor Moon.

Noteworthy original compositions for anime are Joey Carbone & Richie Zito's soundtrack for Project A-ko and Michael Nyman's score for The Diary of Anne Frank.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:

You're remembering that wrong. It was the original ED for the show in Japan. The fact that Geneon managed to secure the North American rights to use it in broadcast and on DVD was a major coup back in the day, because of how hard it is for any R1 company to get music rights for western music used in anime shows.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Surprised no one from the USA has mentioned Ergo proxy's ending: Radiohead's Paranoid Android.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
What about the entire soundtrack for the first Project A-Ko movie, composed and recorded in Los Angeles by Joey Carbone and Richie Zito, or does that not count since it was commissioned for the movie not licensed from elsewhere?

I'm not joking when I say the Project A-Ko soundtrack is one of my all-time favourite motion picture scores

I cannot agree with this more. Project A-Ko was the first anime CD I ever owned (I bought it before it was packaged with the movie by CPM but have a second copy from that set). It is also TO THIS day probably one of my favorites.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:57 pm Reply with quote
No mention of "I've Got a Feeling" by The Beatles used in BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad?
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
As Ryo Hazuki said, "One Minute Warning" is a dub addition, so I'm not sure why it's included...

Evangelion's uses of the Hallelujah Chorus and Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 Fourth Movement are some of the best implementations of western music that pop into my head, brilliantly used in the episodes. Though I suppose you were looking for more contemporary music rather than symphonies and oratorios.

Vandread made great use of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" in a similarly titled-episode, though it was replaced with a cover by Donna Burke for all home video releases, and something else entirely for the English dub.

Last edited by Spoofer on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised there's no mention of Cowboy Bebop, which merged English vocalists with Japanese composers pretty successfully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed (but not surprised) that Billy Preston's "Go Where No One's Gone Before" wasn't listed. I'd have to find my OST again, but I do think it was written by a Japanese composer, but Billy Preston is one of only two artists to be credited on a Beatles' recording, and the show itself is quite obviously heavily influenced by both the Beatles and James Bond. The song was also his last single before his death, and was released 17 years after his previous single.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6