• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If, Then, Or: One Piece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raikuro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I'd really like to read this column, but every time I try, the paragraphs on the right-hand side are halfway hidden behind the features sidebar... There's nothing wrong with my computer, but I don't see anyone else mentioning that problem here in the forums. What's going on?

Here's what I'm talking about: le screencap

Help?

The ads on the left and right make the columns narrower, hiding stuff on the right side. You can fix it by switching to a different skin without the ads.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
I always saw similarity between Gurren Lagann and One Piece, too, but I saw it more in their spirit than I did the adventure. But whatever.

I do not care for Gintama, though. One Piece's humor is right on line with me, but Gintama's is not. I will never understand the hype for Gintama.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Zolo?

Did I time-warp back to 2005?

I guess the writer is still being haunted by the edits from the horror that is 4kids.

Luckily Funi have the license. Hopefully with the lawsuit by NAS and TV Tokyo, 4kids will finally be no more and the yugioh series will desperately get a license rescue.

I enjoyed the manga for Gintama. Though it sucks like hell that it's being licensed by Sentai Filmworks since they mainly a sub-only company. Good for subbers, but bad for dub pursuits like myself.

Liked Gurren Lagan, but unfortunately the ending of the Anti Spiral Arc ruined the series for me when spoiler[ for some damn reason or another, they killed off Nia at the end.] when i watched it on Sci Fi's ani-monday.

It felt like dejavu all over again spoiler[ when they did that with Yufie on Code Geass ]

Hopefully the manga's ending will be different, but i have real doubts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
The ads on the left and right make the columns narrower, hiding stuff on the right side. You can fix it by switching to a different skin without the ads.

Ah, that worked! Thanks. Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
I'd really like to read this column, but every time I try, the paragraphs on the right-hand side are halfway hidden behind the features sidebar... There's nothing wrong with my computer, but I don't see anyone else mentioning that problem here in the forums. What's going on?

Here's what I'm talking about: le screencap

Help?
The reason it doesn't happen with other features is they are single columned.

Add up the width of the two pictures at the head of the split column part, they are too wide to fit the standard layout on a lot of normal screen resolutions.

If ANN set those graphics to smaller size, the problem would be reduced or go away.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
I really liked this column. Was this the first one? I don't see a list of it in the views page. I hope there will be more in the future!

This is the second one; the first was for Tiger and Bunny.
The recommendations were The Big O and Read or Die, if I'm not mistaken.

I thought there was at least one (maybe two?) more of these columns in between Tiger & Bunny and this one. Oh—High School of the Dead was the middle one, so this is the third. I did a site-search for "if, then, or" to find that column, but it would be nice to have a link to see an archive of these, as more are written.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Huh, someone didn't watch more than a dozen episodes. Tell us a few facts, I don't really wanna call you foolish for judging a 500 episode (going to over 1000) anime based on 20 or so first episodes.

I've seen all the way up to Impel down, and it still falls into the same pit traps and faults. Comedy resolves pretty much everything, like how they let Robin join their crew because she made a funny face Luffy liked so they let her join despite being with the man who constantly tried to kill them multiple times. When you resolve your plotlines like that, then it's pretty stupid, and is kind of lazy rather than write the crew's apprehensions towards her, her effort to win their trust or other potential drama things. The fights themselves are just too over the top to really find engaging; Usopp, for example, can get mauled and beat up the entire fight, then do one thing in the end to win in one hit. It's like watching Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck fight, not really on par with other shounen fights, it's a lot more goofy and comedic. It's an interesting set up and premise, but it's held back by the execution and Oda's writing style.

Quote:
At least unlike other massive stuff where the writer create as they go (Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, and perhaps Bleach and Naruto? which do seem to), Oda has it planned out and you can feel it, so it doesn't feel like you're watching some mediocre fanfiction (which is what I feel when I watch those 4, well, at least fanfiction writers have more imagination than the creators of the last 3).

Oda has routinely said he is 'halfway done' about ten times now; he said that back during Skypeia, to Enis, to Impel, to now. One Piece is always 'halfway done' is a recurring joke in the fandom for that reason. If you think One Piece is more planned out than those then you're just playing favorites.

I will say One Piece probably has the most elitist fans I've seen out of a shounen, and usually don't want their show associated with the 'riff raff' of other popular shounen. That's always pretty annoying and one major turnoff to the show.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
One Piece is always 'halfway done' is a recurring joke in the fandom for that reason. If you think One Piece is more planned out than those then you're just playing favorites.

Never seen this joke, never heard anyone mention anything about One Piece being halfway done before so I won't discuss here.

Quote:
I will say One Piece probably has the most elitist fans I've seen out of a shounen, and usually don't want their show associated with the 'riff raff' of other popular shounen. That's always pretty annoying and one major turnoff to the show.

Quite frankly, I'm a fan of good anime in general, and I'll defend those unless it's something like Death Note, NGE and Code Geass which just happen to have rabid haters. One Piece happens to be one. Maybe the fans are elitist, but I usually see certain fans of widely known shonen act worse, a lot worse than mere elitism. Every show has a crappy fanbase somewhere, nothing stopping that.
khadijah1415

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm a huge One Piece fan but not to the point where I ONLY watch One Piece because I watch other long shonen anime and I will try the other anime that was recommended that isn't Gintama because I've seen Gintama, loved it, and people who watch One Piece often watch that one...
CorbeauKarasu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
"Zolo." Infuriating.

I thought the appraisal of the series was a tad too simplistic, but it seems sort of obvious that the author doesn't follow the series, so I'll ignore it. Please do your research better in regards to the characters' names. Just because Viz insists on misspelling the name doesn't mean it's okay.

One Piece started over the top and becomes more and more sensible as it goes on, crafting little rules to support the wackiness that birthed it. As far as the idea that it's only half done, I'd never thought that it might be a running gag, but that does make sense now that I've heard the theory.

But as for the story, it's quite obvious that Oda puts a great deal more planning into his story than Kishimoto or Kubo. Not knocking them in particular for that, but it does make One Piece all the more impressive as a story.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:00 pm Reply with quote
CorbeauKarasu wrote:
Just because Viz insists on misspelling the name doesn't mean it's okay.

It's not that Viz is just spelling it "Zolo" because they want to, they legally can't use "Zoro".
TitanXL wrote:
Comedy resolves pretty much everything, like how they let Robin join their crew because she made a funny face Luffy liked so they let her join despite being with the man who constantly tried to kill them multiple times. When you resolve your plotlines like that, then it's pretty stupid, and is kind of lazy rather than write the crew's apprehensions towards her, her effort to win their trust or other potential drama things.

Then I guess you obviously missed the scene where she gained Luffy's trust not by amusing him, but by trying to save him earlier. And Zoro who was apprehensive towards her for a while until she proved herself loyal.
TitanXL wrote:
It's like watching Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck fight, not really on par with other shounen fights, it's a lot more goofy and comedic. It's an interesting set up and premise, but it's held back by the execution and Oda's writing style.

That's not a bad thing. Maybe I want my fights to be fantastic instead of trying to be "grim and gritty".

I don't think this series is suited to your tastes, and that's fine. But I think you're maybe overlooking what role the comedy does play in the story. It gives the series an over-arching sense of a child-like imagination, and helps lighten the mood in many scenes, but plot lines are not resolved based on comedy. They are based on the characters whose actions can sometimes trend comedic.
Humor does not make a series juvenile, in fact I'd argue well-done comedy in a series makes it seem more developed, mature, and accessible to people of an older age. As compared to a series that tends to wallow in angst chapter after chapter, which just feels like something made for teenagers. [/quote]
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Zolo???

Are you serious?
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The fights themselves are just too over the top to really find engaging; Usopp, for example, can get mauled and beat up the entire fight, then do one thing in the end to win in one hit. It's like watching Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck fight, not really on par with other shounen fights, it's a lot more goofy and comedic.

I get that. It's like Rocky IV, when Rocky receives a terrible beat up from Draco, and he still wins. Dragon Ball often does something like that, but for some reason the characters do not end wounded as they are "not serious". I guess Usopp really suffers a lot in every fight. I sometimes feel bad for the guy's suffering as I am laughing with the comical expressions from Oda.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
CorbeauKarasu wrote:
Just because Viz insists on misspelling the name doesn't mean it's okay.

It's not that Viz is just spelling it "Zolo" because they want to, they legally can't use "Zoro".

That's what I thought too, but somehow FUNimation gets away with calling him Zoro, so there's gotta be a loophole.

Sewingrose wrote:
Humor does not make a series juvenile, in fact I'd argue well-done comedy in a series makes it seem more developed, mature, and accessible to people of an older age. As compared to a series that tends to wallow in angst chapter after chapter, which just feels like something made for teenagers.
That's the problem though, I don't think One Piece's comedy is really well done. There's a difference between "family friendly humor" and "childish humor." Flinging boogers and dancing around in speedos tend to fall under the "childish" category. Sure, some of the character reactions cause me to crack a smile (especially Chopper), but in general I think the comedy inhibits the series more than it makes it more accessible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge One Piece fan and still consider it my favorite anime, even if my interest in it has been a bit shaky recently. The thing is, I watch it for the worlds it creates, the sense of adventure, the comradery between friends... the kind of moments that send chills down your spine. Unfortunately, in order to get to those awe inspiring moments, you have to wade through a sea of mediocre comedy. I'm all for light heartedness, but sometimes this series just makes me shake my head.

Anyways, on the topic of this article in general, I think it's a great feature! There are so many times when I finish a series and wish I could find another one just like it. Although I would be in favor of adding more similar titles instead of just two. Maybe pick 5 or 6 of an anime's defining features and make suggestions based on each one. You don't need to write a 4 paragraph summary on each title you recommend; just a quick blurb on why it's like the show you're comparing it to. I think that would be more useful, especially if you're going to compare it to mainstream titles that already have loads and loads of articles describing them. Either way, keep up the good work. I look forward to the next article!
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
The fights themselves are just too over the top to really find engaging; Usopp, for example, can get mauled and beat up the entire fight, then do one thing in the end to win in one hit. It's like watching Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck fight, not really on par with other shounen fights, it's a lot more goofy and comedic. It's an interesting set up and premise, but it's held back by the execution and Oda's writing style.

Well, what do you expect from a an over-the-top series such as One Piece?
It's not like ALL the fights themselves are nothing but comedic moments and goofiness.
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never seen Usopp win a fight with only ONE hit. Unless you want to count Usopp vs Perona, which in itself was more of a gag fight, plus it didn't even last long enough to be considered an annoyance anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3