• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Clannad - does it get better?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePoliced

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:45 pm Reply with quote
If you wanna die of boredom, roll your eyes alot, and feel like a loser, this is ur prescription.

True Tears is a little more watchable..sort of, at least it's shorter.
kandysweet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Everybody has their preferences. but Clannad is one of my favourite anime. I admit that the first episode might not grab your attention, but later on, it sure does. However, you're already on episode 6 and bored, so you can either drop it or continuing watching it. I suggest watching it up until episode 10-15 because Clannad is worth it! I watched this last summer and the plot is still fresh in my mind. I loved the characters and the aspect of Clannad. I did find the "ghost" part boring, so that's the only part where I would get bored. After Story is definitely a must-watch as well. It's so emotional; I was like crying when I watched it.

Hope I helped! Very Happy
bexiboobah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the opinions guys! A nice varied mix amongst them Anime hyper! I think I'll stick with it a little while longer, just to see what's beyond the Fuko arc, but, yeah, since I wasn't really an advocate of Rumbling Hearts which ShinobiX likened it to I might just have to accept that it's not for me Anime hyper.
Thank you again for all your opinions though! xoxo
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about Clannad. I wasn't a fan of Fuko, and the ending of After Story flat-out didn't work for me (it would have been great if it went a different direction, IMO), but there was a lot that I liked, too. Nagisa's parents are very entertaining, and I also found myself heavily invested in and even moved by Tomoya's development through the series.

I'm glad that I watched it, and do have the DVDs, but my opinion isn't wholly positive.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
ThePoliced wrote:
If you wanna die of boredom, roll your eyes alot, and feel like a loser, this is ur prescription.

True Tears is a little more watchable..sort of, at least it's shorter.

I like this post. It captures what I was afraid to say. To me Clannad suffers from being a typical school story, which is to say a sitcom.

I would personally recommend Air TV or the Air movie. Some might find the tragedy over done, but I liked the romanticist feel. Definitely a bittersweet ending.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I like this post. It captures what I was afraid to say. To me Clannad suffers from being a typical school story, which is to say a sitcom.

The question here wasn't if you feel whether it is a boring school story or not, but whether it gets better or not. And it does get better and touches dimensions most if not all school stories never do.

Oh, and I dislike school romances, love coms and harems myself (maybe I'll make a thread for this). I can vouch that this was among the better ones I've seen. Certainly not typical, which still doesn't make it that great to me. Thus there is no reason to watch it unless you have a weird interest in seeing things no matter what, or you're trying to expand your usual watching habits. It's good for romance, drama and oh-so-funny school humor. If that doesn't sound interesting, then stay away.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Having seen later parts of the series via clips of the visual novel source material, I don't think it plays out any differently from Key's earlier works with their contrived and melodramatic trappings and I'm quite surprised with how enough folks give the series high praise for what is essentially another helping of the same-old melodrama mixed with the slice-of-life high school situations faced by Tomoya and pals. Some elements to the series make it bearable such as Nagisa's parents, but it ultimately is same old stuff from Key.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
but it ultimately is same old stuff from Key.

Clannad may not get better, but I believe Key certainly has:

Air<Kanon<Clannad<Angel Beats

So to the OP I suggest skipping Clannad and watching Angel Beats. You'll get all the "contrived and melodramatic trappings" of Key... but with guns! Smile
Veers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
ShinobiX wrote:
I don't like that shit, but people say its good and um well it's good. Similar to Rumbling Hearts
Um, not really...
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
To the OP: Imo, after episode 10 or so, Clannad gets better just because it doesn't focus so long on a single story, but does a nice mix instead.

And, the whole saga is about moe-girls with tragic situations tossed in. Slice of Life and "Oh-High School is Great" at its fullest. If you dont like the idea, then you can stop watching, because that's not going to change.

ManOfRust wrote:

I'm no doubt in the minority here, but I didn't particularly like After Story. I though the first season was much better. IMHO, the emotional content is so contrived that it loses most of its impact.

And now there are like 3 of us!

Clannad was better than After Story to me, if only because it was a high-school drama that didn't pretend to be about "adult-drama".

Also, Clannad had more moe-girls around, so there were more jokes and characters to sympathize with (I still think Nagisa is the WEAKEST girl of the whole show)

And I'm probably the only guy that played the Visual Novel first. So, I thought that season 1 was a very streamlined version of the game, much shorter, with only the good bits. S2 animated a long arc I didn't like (I think it's the first time I've seen a bad ending that's longer than the "true" ending)

--------------
Rathchet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
I still think Nagisa is the WEAKEST girl of the whole show
--------------

Thats probably because she neally spoiler[died from an illness when she was little], which whould've made her generally a weaker person in general (both physically and emotionally i spose).
Powermage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote
For some reasson i really love clannad both 1st seasson and second i have seen over 20 slices of life animes and clannad is one of the bests isf you ask me I actully cried twice over it (PS i can get very emotional over anime nothing else though quite weird) Once at end of first season and again at end of the second season As for your sitution I will ussally give an anime an episode cap for example for me if an anime is not intressting by episode 7 or 8 i will drop it if your looking for something of the same genre i would suggest Angel Beats just tough it through the first 2 episodes beacuse they can be boring and confusing
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
And their eyeballs are where their cheekbones ought to be.

I refer to that as E.T. Syndrome where your nose is at the level of your eyes.

C'mon, tell me you don't see it. When he dresses up like a girl in the movie, you can barely see the difference! Razz

HaruhiToy wrote:
The girls all look like stringy colored mops flung on top of a wrinkled pile of laundry.

Looks like a spitting image of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:52 am Reply with quote
Rathchet wrote:
RGaspar wrote:
I still think Nagisa is the WEAKEST girl of the whole show
--------------

Thats probably because she neally spoiler[died from an illness when she was little], which whould've made her generally a weaker person in general (both physically and emotionally i spose).

I'm pretty sure RGaspar meant that Nagisa was the weakest character in terms of being a well-written character, and I would fully agree. Tomoya, the other 4 girls, Nagisa's parents, Sunohara, Ryou, etc. were all way better than Nagisa.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Looks like a spitting image of them.

I never use emoticons, but if I did Laughing Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3