• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New largest event in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:04 pm Reply with quote
You're thinking of Ohayocon 4 in Columbus, OH. Otakon is in Baltimore, MA.

Good job on the correction of making BAAF #3. :)

himiko-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:23 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Big Apple Anime Festival contacted ANN to point out that they are in fact the third largest Anime Event in North America, according to Festival Director, "12,000 paid admissions (rounded down to nearest thousand) and 832 Industry/Press/Professional complimentary admissions."

Big deal. BAAF was so poorly run that easily 11,000 of those 12,000 will not return to that fiasco next year.
(inc)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:49 am Reply with quote
One thing about this list is that it discounts Cons that may have a large anime element, but are of broader appeal. For instance Comic-Con International in 2002 had an attendance of 63,000 (http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCIPrevious.html) and the 2003 event was informally reported to be over 70,000 -- this is of a scale well beyond that of the anime-only cons. Of course there is no way to quantify the portion of the attendees that may be coming for a dose of anime, but from personal experience, it would appear to be significant. To give an idea of the scale of the anime element involved, here's Comic-Con 2003's list of anime showings: http://www.comic-con.org/Pages/CCIAnime.html

(inc)
isaacada1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:05 am Reply with quote
You are correct the story discounted Comicon. It also discounted MegaCon and Wizard World's which have a growing anime presence as well. It's very hard to discern from the numbers how many people went to those events for anime, when some went to those events for comics, media, toys, etc...

ANN wrote the article to focus on events with the main theme being "anime".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FXRS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Himiko - yer outa line. I've been to all 3 BAAF's with my friends, and everyone of us loved them all (crowded tho they were). If you didn't like the show, something's wrong wtih you, not BAAF.
himiko-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:24 am Reply with quote
FXRS wrote:
If you didn't like the show, something's wrong wtih you, not BAAF.

Yep, me and all the other people who posted their many complaints about that disorganized mess in topic after topic after topic on BAAF's website forum. Just checked, and they're all still there for the world to see.

http://www.bigappleanimefest.com/forums/index.php?s=8c1a2f0491bc000a4adcb5fb4377f886&showforum=2

Posts about the con start around August 31.
sinjin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quote
If you look at otakon's message board right after the con you'll find plenty of complaints as well. Only thing is that otakon's mods get defensive and browbeat poster's. BAAF forums don't really have any mods, so people are more inclined to post pretty much anything they want.

I went to otakon for the past 4 years, and always their video programming is revised almost on a hourly basis. This years pocket guide was missing half the events. The autograph sessions moved around, and I think the main TM revolution concert was rescheduled too. wouldn't you count that as being disorganized?

I'm not saying BAAF is better or anything, but all 3 major cons have their problems. I think baff's was more an issue of lack of space from what i saw.

*EDIT* Otakon's boards require you to be a registered user, while baaf's allows anonymous posts. Under the illusion of being anonymous obviously you'll get alot more flames *EDIT*
Tsu-na-mi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
DISCLAIMER: I am a member of OTAKON staff, have been from the beginning, but I do not represent them.

Cons count attendees differently, ESPECIALLY the big exhibit-focused conventions. These events usually use tickets for admission versus the registration process anime cons use. As a result, they count their attendees differently. A 4-day event may claim 60,000 people, but if you went for all 4 days, you counted as 4 people. Dragoncon had a note about this on their web page a while back -- they regularly get ~20,000 people or so, but if they were to use the 'other' attendance statistics, they would be a 50,000 person convention.

I only went to the first BAAF, so I don't know if things are still run the same. That year you bought tickets for each day, so IF it has not changed, I would suspect the 12,000 figure means about 5,000-6,000 unique individuals for a 3-day event. Less for a 4-day.

San Diego Comic con likely uses the tickets/day = attendance model as well. The San Diego Convention Center is 1.1M sqft, compared to 1.2M sqft in the Baltimore Convention Center. I know for a fact that the Baltimore Convention Center has a fire code limit of ~25,000 people, so I would estimate the SDCC to be similar. Their 63,000 attendance undoubtedly counts people more than once and actual attendees is probably on the order of 30,000-40,000, maybe less even. It depends on how many people came multiple days (I don't know). It's really apples and oranges to compare a con/trade show like this and what you'd call a 'normal' anime con.

If Anime Expo or OTAKON were to count people that way, AX would probably be around 57,000 people (4 day con) and OTAKON at 44,000 (3 day con). However both use the unique individual method, hence the considerably lower numbers. I can state for the record that OTAKON counts only paid registered attendees in its attendance count. No dealers, staff, or other comped individuals.

--
Dave
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2