• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero Box to Add New Extra Written by Type-Moon's Nasu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I'm inclined in future not to watch streamed Aniplex product. It's just encouraging them.

Encouraging them to do what? Sell at the usual Japanese prices?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's encouraging them to put English subtitles on Japanese releases. Oh, the horror!

It should be like the Unlimited Blade Works movie, right? Currently unlicensed and with no English subtitles on the Japanese release. That's how all things should be!

Rolling Eyes
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Heck, I'll tell ya for the full series. Both Niconico and Crunchyroll are streaming Fate/Zero. So you can watch the whole series, for free!

Cool! So you're telling me the streaming quality and bitrate outputs on both these sites is equal to 1080p video and lossless PCM audio, and it's free Very Happy?! Wow, why don't they just stream all 300+ of my other Blu-ray movies in the same quality so I can watch them over a DSL connection any time I want? I've been wasting my money for the last 5 years, now. Damn.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
You are not entitled to 1080p.

That I have to say this to an ANN moderator is simply baffling.

I watched the Niconico stream, and you know what? The animation is still absolutely breathtaking. The Saber/Lancer fight looked better than practically everything I've seen on BluRay.

And I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll has a 720p version of it for subscribers.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not doubting the animation quality or anything. It's the presentation of the animation. Watching something off an iPod vs. a computer vs. a home theater should account for something, right? But if you say that streaming quality is better than what any Blu-ray can do, then I'll take your word for it.

I'm sorry to have offended you.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
It's not the streaming quality that makes it better than almost every BD anime I've seen it. It's the quality of the animation itself.

As you should know, 1080p, 720p, 480p, 360p, etc. are just shortforms for resolution. And the animation is unchanged for these resolutions. But the picture itself will be much sharper and clearer for the higher resolutions

Basically, I'm sure that the BD for Fate/Zero will be an improvement as far as visual/picture quality itself goes, but the animation is something that can be really appreciated with just the stream.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me Zero might go the way of Rakkyo, and just get an import-ish release, rather than Madoka's reduced-price domestic release. spoiler[Feel free to surprise me though Aniplex.]

I'll wait to see what the discount on Amazon,jp is and how terrible the Yen exchange rate is a few weeks prior to release before dropping that much on a series.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the Fate/Zero simulcasts via Crunchyroll and am impressed with the series so far. Arghhh! Well, if Rightstuf offers this title at pricing similar to the Garden of Sinners release I'll gladly, albeit grudgingly, pony up the price....just don't tell my wife.
kitchiri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Aniplex knows what's the best, when it is pretty obvious that budget for Fate/Zero is ridiculously high for usual standards of TV series.

Seriously, people critcising Nico Nico streaming? Don't even make me laugh. It was actually better than TV airing for some part.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
infjeff wrote:
I have feeling Aniplex will treat Fate/Zero very nicely, Madoka-style, over here, so I'll definately wait.

Same here. Considering how Fate/Stay Night came out, I'm not to shook up about this super-deluxe box set.

As it's been pointed out, anime costs are high and they don't usually make a lot in return. Plus Fate/Zero does have movie-budgeted animation quality, and it's easy to see how much love has been poured into every aspect of the show, so I can't wholly fault them for this over-the-top package and price tag.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
Wow, just look at them sneaking that litte tweak by...
Quote:
The audio will be in Linear PCM (stereo), encoded at 48KHz in 24 bit.

Man, 48KHz encoded sound. I cannot think of anything that gets me more in the mood to go out and pay Japenese Blu-Ray premiums to buy the best on the market ... like DVD quality sound.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
So I guess you consider more than 95% of all BDs to have "DVD quality" sound because they're not 24 bit 96khz? I can't imagine what torture all the US anime releases with 16 bit 48khz audio, some even in Dolby Digital, must be for you.
BOMHAT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
pre- ordered right when i saw it. and hooray for English subs! i wasn't actually too confident about my Japanese skills
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:28 am Reply with quote
And they say we're in a stagnant economy! Lotta rich people! Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:42 am Reply with quote
BOMHAT wrote:
pre- ordered right when i saw it. and hooray for English subs! i wasn't actually too confident about my Japanese skills

Is it already up?? I can't find it.

I think I'm going to wait to place an order until we hear from Aniplex of America about it. Can't wait to watch these extra scenes! Very excited.

EDIT: Oops found it. Here's the link -> http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B005ZOPANI

Last edited by luffypirate on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4