• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Works to be Streamed Simultaneously with Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrVince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
I've said this before in a previous posting and while I realize this is a English-speaking site, I'm slightly disappointed no one else is talking about the fact the studios haven't addressed the other two major languages which are target languages for fansubs -- Spanish and Chinese. From what I have seen online, Spanish is probably the next largest (to English) western language used in fansubs. I'd safely speculate Chinese may have the largest audience for fansubs. So what are the studios going to do for those two languages? Hebrew? German? Can we expect the studios to make subs for multiple languages with a turnaround of a day?
luhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
I...really can't believe this. Is this a dream? Freely available English subs of new anime on the SAME DAY as the Japanese broadcast??! It's like an otaku fantasy come true! What if all the Japanese studios start doing this? The world will become one giant anime paradise!

*tears of joy* Anime cry

I guess CrunchyRoll knows what they're doing after all.

Last edited by luhead on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
Wow, I don't even know what to say. I don't think I'll say anything.

You know, there's a pretty good reason for that MrVince. It needs to happen in some language first, wouldn't you think? Honestly, I can hardly believe that's your initial reaction to this: 'WHY AREN'T THEY DOING MOAR?!' You're "disappointed" because we're excited studios are waking up and taking steps in the right direction? Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
Normally I don't like GONZO productions much, and I probably wouldn't have watched these were it not for this announcement, but I think I will now. Maybe if it's succesful we'll get something good on the streams.

I'd certainly be happy if they chose to stream Kurogane no Linebarrel for free too (though I fully expect them to botch it in the long run with bad CG mecha I'm interested in the series for now).
MrVince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Wow, I don't even know what to say. I don't think I'll say anything.

You know, there's a pretty good reason for that MrVince. It needs to happen in some language first, wouldn't you think? Honestly, I can hardly believe that's your initial reaction to this: 'WHY AREN'T THEY DOING MOAR?!' You're "disappointed" because we're excited studios are waking up and taking steps in the right direction? Neutral

I never said it was a wrong step. I am saying the studios need to take a few more steps to really make a dent into this. The facts are clear-- Chinese and Spanish subs, along with English, make up the lion's share of fansubs.

As for a specific first step, I would say that especially with the illegal Chinese distribution of anime being a *much* larger issue than the English one, the better first step would have been to go with Chinese subs. Again by saying "better", I'm not saying the English subs wasn't a bad step... it's just wasn't the better step to take.
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
Hrm, on BOST's forums they mention season passes... looks like we'll probably be paying if we want the higher quality stream.
Meccanica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:25 am Reply with quote
This is great. Even if the shows turn out to be fantastically mediocre, and even if the translations are shoddy, I don't care.* I will watch them anyway.

It's always wonderful when something that should happen starts to happen. Anime catgrin

*Disclaimer: I do actually care.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested in how this will turn out, but I'm not sure if I can be happy if this could also mean the demise of R1 licensors and dub studios.

While I still think that it is great that somebody has made the first step in allowing people from outside Japan to watch their show for free legally simultaneously with the airing in Japan, what I would hope for is that this would also lead to dubs being produced and released simultaneously and on television, because believe it or not there are people that don't want to read subtitles all of the time or even watch on their computer monitor.

Of course we still have to wait and see if Gonzo's move proves to be successful and other studios follow suit.

I guess another question to ask is will people continue to watch these new Gonzo shows if they suck just because it supports Gonzo?

Last edited by fokkusuhaundo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote
While this is incredibly amazing I have to wonder, what does this accomplish? Doing the fansubers job for them doesn't actually solve anything it's just another form of free anime in English. It'll be nice to be able to bypass the third party, but I wouldn't go so far as to say this is the answer to fansubs that others here say it is. Unless they intend to add advertising this is just solving one problem with another.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TJM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
This is a step in the right direction(at least from my point of view)

I've been waiting for a company to do this.Being able to check out a couple of episodes in one of the low res stream sites and then if i like a certain series i am able to buy high quality episodes, i think its great.

I don't really buy that much anime as it is because i hate waiting for dvds to come out, or for series to get picked up.I am all for this, and this would be an easier way for me to show support to the anime industry.

Now if somebody would do this for manga..

Quote:

I guess another question to ask is will people continue to watch these new Gonzo shows if they suck just because it supports Gonzo?

Well I am hoping these shows are at the very least decent because i am very willing to support them.I just hope this wont be like a one time thing you know, just like a special "one time event".

Last edited by TJM on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:55 am Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
I guess another question to ask is will people continue to watch these new Gonzo shows if they suck just because they it supports Gonzo?

I'll probably be checking out the first few episodes of both titles but if they suck just as much as Dragonaut than I'll drop it like it's hot. Shame that the best Gonzo title this season in Special A (I don't have high expectations for the other two and the S.A manga is pretty good) won't be streamed, though perhaps it being a joint venture with AIC is the reason why it isn't.

It would've been a lot more interesting if the titles being streamed here where ones that were much more anticipated, like stuff like Code Geass R2, Macross Frontier and Soul Eater.

Not saying they won't get any information/data out of this experiment but these two titles looks like being another Dragonaut and Night Wizard and those two titles didn't exactly rock the fanbase. I could be wrong and one of these shows could be a massive hit for the season but I doubt it. Maybe Gonzo's Fall show in "Kurogane no Line barrel" will give a better overall view of how this will change things.

Last edited by Westlo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
crilix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
While this is incredibly amazing I have to wonder, what does this accomplish?
Well, let's see, if GDH manages to discourage fansubbing of their shows with this move, that means they retain control over their product's digital distribution. BitTorrent anime downloads weren't such a big deal until those copies hit streaming sites that have really taken anime piracy to a whole different level, to a new demographic of fans copyright holders could profit from in at least two ways.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Japanese media company GDH has announced that the YouTube, CrunchyRoll, and BOST online video services will be streaming new titles from GDH's Gonzo animation studio — worldwide and on the same day as their Japanese broadcast.

Ouch. Take that Bandai.
Aradiel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
So freaking sweet. A step in the right direction indeed. Let's just hope both the subs and the shows themselves are good quality.

I will most definitley stick with the streaming versions (for free) and then if I decide that I'll probably want to watch them again in the future, I'd download.

If all companies did this, I wouldn't download fansubs.

Also, to those wondering how this will effect the DVD market - I think that it was said (though perhaps not demonstrated) that most casual watchers of anime prefer dubs.
So, there will still be a market for it, it'll just take a long time to release as per usual.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
AWESOME!!!

Now if we can get a few other studios to do the same thing, then fansubbing will become something of the past, or for titles that nobody wants to license - but hopefully maybe something will happen with that too...

Congrats to Crunchy and BOST - both which I am members of!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9