• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Gym, TAN, Laundry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Community may be going away, but I hear that HBO's Treme is coming back. So Yay! (I guess for me and the one other person on this site who likes Treme). Wink

and, uh, well .... I guess I won't be buying Loups Garrous. Thanks for the heads up on that.

TAN's streaming service has actually improved quite a bit from back when I started my subscription. I hardly ever get serious stalls or dropped streams anymore. Now (at least in my experience) the "derp award" goes to the new kid on the internet, the one who's name rhymes with "bluh-nimation". Anime hyper
lelliel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
On the Loups-Garous movie, was there REALLY a male character named Ayumi in the main cast? Because on the Japanese website, it's clearly labeled a female:

http://www.lg-anime.com/character/002kono.html

I did some googling, and Ayumi is a female character voiced by a male in the english dub. It appears that Sentai mistakenly thought Ayumi was male.

Wow, that speaks volumes about quality control at Sentai, doesn't it?

You think that would be a little obvious since given Ayumi's hips.
scottfrye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
I've not had any (major) issues with FUNimation's streaming service. It ain't perfect but that's to be expected. Niconico definitely needs improvement. Both will improve though in time.

Crunchyroll is the one I think that has got streaming pegged. I much prefer them over any of the streaming sites.

TAN isn't a bad service either but so far anything they have streamed have been released on DVDs/Blu-ray, which I prefer to get. TAN can be a bit troublesome sometimes but it definitely has improved.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
If they messed up on the gender of one of the characters in Loups-Garous movie then I wonder how accurate or good the translation for the script is.

According to here:

http://www.fandompost.com/forums/showthread.php?6681-Loups-Garous-English-Cast&p=54853&viewfull=1#post54853

...even the subs referred Ayumi as a "he."

Yeah, I know I'm nagging on details for a really below-average movie, but you would think Sentai would at the bare minimum get the gender of the characters correct. It's like Tears of Tiara all over again.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote
Good show this week. Just a quick suggestion for TAN site: there should be an easier way to access the shows from the homepage or alternatively a queue system like hulu or CR. I have to navigate more than I'd like to get to what I want to watch (the same criticism also applies to Funi and nico-nico). Enjoying Phi-Brain and P4, and thanks for simulcasting Croisee last quarter.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I think the only way that streaming becomes more than a promotional tool for companies, and actually profits them is for people to treat it more like a viral video. ...
More people sharing links to legit streams as part of their regular use of social media would indeed be of some help.

However, note that in the ANNcast, while it was not said whether TAN's streaming operation was profitable or not, what was said implied that it might be.

From TAN's perspective, given that they need a fresh stream of content to cycle into their Video on Demand service, many of the costs of streaming for a streaming-only service are shared with their VoD. They would have a website in any event, so some of the website management costs would also be slated to the VoD. The incremental cost would seem to be additional website management, mastering the streaming file and bandwidth costs, plus the implicit cost of paying some of the shared costs a bit earlier than the VoD would require.

With a subscription component to their streaming site, it is not that implausible that they can cover those incremental costs with a little bit of profit from the activity.

What was specified is that the VoD is their major revenue stream ~ but it remains an open possibility that streaming adds to their profitability.

Trying to cover contracting, license and subtitling costs out of streaming revenues alone, that is a much harder ask, and given the low relative ad rates for streaming video (compared to ad rates for the same number of impressions on cable TV), would indeed require five or ten times the views before ad-streaming would be able to make a big contribution on that side.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
As soon as Zac mentioned utopian society and synthetic food, I thought Soylent Green. How many other twists are there with those ideas being important to the plot?

I'm sad about Community, but I am two weeks behind, so I guess I can't be that sad. In my defense, it's partly because I have activities that conflict with the standard broadcast time slot.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to Zac, I had 4 friend over today and we watched Loups.
Boy, we had so much FUN. The movie is horrible. The writing is abysmal, the characters are stupid, and the ending made NO sense.
But you need to see this movie with friends. You will laugh, I promise.

Also, the guy with the knife is actually a girl.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

Yeah, I know I'm nagging on details for a really below-average movie, but you would think Sentai would at the bare minimum get the gender of the characters correct. It's like Tears of Tiara all over again.

I plan to watch Tears to Tiara sometime, so I'm curious. Did the subs mess up the gender of a character there as well? And if so, who?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
scottfrye wrote:
I've not had any (major) issues with FUNimation's streaming service. It ain't perfect but that's to be expected. Niconico definitely needs improvement. Both will improve though in time.

Crunchyroll is the one I think that has got streaming pegged. I much prefer them over any of the streaming sites.

TAN isn't a bad service either but so far anything they have streamed have been released on DVDs/Blu-ray, which I prefer to get. TAN can be a bit troublesome sometimes but it definitely has improved.

yeah, i can't never watch anime on Niconico. No full screen is a turnoff.
FUNimation is good enough for me(One Piece,Guilty Crown), but I never tried their pay service. Do they offer HD stream for OP, Guilty Crown and all the new shows? It looks like FUNimation has alot of old CR shows. There are couple shows on CR that i couldn't finish and they were gone from CR now, i hope FUNimation stream them soon.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I've read the Loups-Garous novel and I can say the movie did oversimplify it and make some changes. the novel is quite a hefty read, going over 450 pages in length and with a large focus on things like how communications would have to change in a society with minimal face-to-face communication and the clash in cultures between the youth that grew up in that kind of society and the older generations. the ending was a bit different, too. the novel is a pretty good read if you like the genre and definitely doesn't come off as shallow and forced as the movie adaption.

I'd also like to note that Loups-Garous is the French term for the werewolf, not just any monster. the title does have some meaning, especially in the novel where it's mentioned multiple times about wolves being extinct. since the werewolf represents the hidden wild, uncivilized part of human nature and it's implied that society has driven out that side until we see Ayumi as proof that side isn't completely gone.

edit: I hope I'm making sense and not too disjointed, I'm kinda doped up on cold and sinus meds right now.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

I plan to watch Tears to Tiara sometime, so I'm curious. Did the subs mess up the gender of a character there as well? And if so, who?

The dub made Rathy, a little girl character, into a little boy character. I recently sold off my set, so I can't check if the subs made that mistake, but in the dub she's played by Greg Ayres using his Negima voice and is referred to as a boy. It gets really awkward at times because it's painfully obvious that Rathy is a girl by the way she acts, but they (the dub) keep referring to her as "he" and a male voice keeps coming out her mouth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

The dub made Rathy, a little girl character, into a little boy character. I recently sold off my set, so I can't check if the subs made that mistake, but in the dub she's played by Greg Ayres using his Negima voice and is referred to as a boy. It gets really awkward at times because it's painfully obvious that Rathy is a girl by the way she acts, but they (the dub) keep referring to her as "he" and a male voice keeps coming out her mouth.

The subs referred to Rathy as a boy as well, as apparently the translations they received with the show made that mistake. I don't know what you mean by saying Rathy acted like a girl. The character seemed more boyish to me. I didn't notice anything in the show especially feminine about the character, and the gender never really comes into play in any part of the plot.
billk1928

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice to know Anime Network is still around, but their business models don't match my consumption of Anime.

I hate watching streamed shows, and since my ISP charges for bandwidth use after a certain point, I tend to shy away from anything that uses a lot of it (like streaming). This also puts a crimp in watching shows multiple times. I'd rather have hard copies, so I can view them on my TV anytime I want, as often as I desire.

Also, I gave up on any cable service providers (or similar), because they always forced me to pick up a bunch of channels I'll never watch, and then pay for the stupid things. And then I'd have to pay again to watch Anime Network shows "on demand"? Nope, ain't gonna happen.

And what's with the zombie meme? Isn't that already so old that it's beginning to smell horribly? Please stop with the zombie stuff, already!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
billk1928 wrote:
Nice to know Anime Network is still around, but their business models don't match my consumption of Anime.

I hate watching streamed shows, and since my ISP charges for bandwidth use after a certain point, I tend to shy away from anything that uses a lot of it (like streaming). This also puts a crimp in watching shows multiple times. I'd rather have hard copies, so I can view them on my TV anytime I want, as often as I desire.

Also, I gave up on any cable service providers (or similar), because they always forced me to pick up a bunch of channels I'll never watch, and then pay for the stupid things. And then I'd have to pay again to watch Anime Network shows "on demand"? Nope, ain't gonna happen.

And what's with the zombie meme? Isn't that already so old that it's beginning to smell horribly? Please stop with the zombie stuff, already!

Anime Network has both free and paid VOD options. Some carriers only have one, but a few offer both.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3