• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network launches "Miguzi" block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:42 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the original plan to have Saturday Adult Swim run from 11-2 is out the window. Now, I guess AS will be 12-2. I doubt they'd go 12-3. Even on Saturdays, most of us are going to be ready for bed by 2 a.m. so the viewership after that hour will fall off sharply.

Will the new Toonami sked change the AS plan to run 2 back-to-back Inuyasha episodes each Saturday? I wouldn't be surprised if they cut that back to one IY episode per week. (Bummer.)

I'd bet the AS sked will look like this:

Midnight - New - Wolf's Rain (and future anime premieres)
12:30 - New - Inuyasha (and future anime premieres)
1 a.m. - Other anime (WHRobin repeat?)
1:30 - Other anime (Big O repeat?)
2 a.m. -- Back to CN's classic cartoons.

I really hope, though, that the Saturday AS does a nightly repeat like the weeknight AS has been doing. So if I miss an episode in the first run, I can still tape it in its second run.

Also, from the news release, it looks like 9 of the 10 possible Saturday Toonami slots have been accounted for. That leaves only one slot open for a surprise, like having one episode of Inuyasha close out Toonami and then run a second one to open Adult Swim. (That would settle the perennial squabbles over whether IY belongs on Toonami or AS.) (^_*)
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The problem is, if AS ever wants to air movies, they'd need a minimum 3 hour block for 2 hour movies. Unless they'd cut 30 minutes out of a movie (they way they've been lately... Rolling Eyes) or air it commercial free (HA!). And I doubt they'd go for a 12-3 block, because the ratings probably drop considerably even after midnight (of course they don't seem to care about the "action" audience anyway).

I'm still hoping that the Toonami 7 - 12 was a mistake (the PR contained a few: Inuyasha's "Jewel of Four Seasons" and a couple different spellings of the new weekday block) and Toonami will only last from 7-11.

Adult Swim is supposed to make its own press release in a few weeks (and the April schedule should also be out by next week) so we should know by then.
Shorty22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does it seem weird with how they're handling this? I mean, I think it'd make more sense to leave Toonami there on weekdays and just change/rename their Saturday thing. Toonami already has bad connotations in the anime-fan world, so we should just leave it behind, finally. Why would they name their new block Miguzi anyway? The word sounds like it should be connected with an anime-block or something.

(Edit: I was thinking of Toonami as more of a time-slot than an 'action block' of programming, which is how CN labels it and in that aspect, it really wouldn't be changing with the lineup that it'll have on Saturday. Therefore, I can see why they'd move the name 'Toonami' for that reason.)

Personally, I think it would be some weird inside joke/interesting irony if the Saturday block was called Mizugi/swimsuit and lead into Adult Swim. Heh.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote
This just in from AdultSwim.com . the Saturday night AS has been cancelled entirely now. the network decided Saturday night was doing too well with kids to put it at risk.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:43 pm Reply with quote
To fully expound:

SwimBuddha wrote:
Due to concerns from our ad sales department about giving up one hour of sellable children's inventory on Saturday night, we regret that we were unable to obtain Saturday nights for Adult Swim action.

Instead, beginning Thursday, April 22, Thursday nights will be devoted to action programming. Sunday nights, beginning April 18, will be devoted to comedy. We actually believe ratings on these two nights will be stronger for these changes, but we admit it's not as good as adding an extra night of Adult Swim programming.

Monday-Wednesday programming will remain a mix of comedy and action.

Other announcements:

-- The Animatrix premieres Thursday, April 22, at 11 p.m.

-- As previously announced, 52 new episodes of InuYasha premieres will begin airing on Thursday nights at 11 p.m. on April 29.

-- 26 episodes of Wolf's Rain premieres begin airing on Thursday nights at 11:30 p.m. on April 29.

-- Case Closed, known as Detective Conan in Japan, will premiere Mondays-Thursdays at midnight beginning on June 7.

For the sake of full disclosure, please know that the above decision was protested earnestly and repeatedly by those in charge of Adult Swim. It is a battle that only very recently was lost. And it is a battle that we will continue to fight with the future hope that we will be able to move into Saturday nights later this year.

Additional Note: I know many of you will ask if there is anything you can do to change this decision. There is not. But strong ratings on the forthcoming Thursday action night would certainly go a long way towards solidifying our case in the future. As always, we appreciate your continued support.

--SB
setzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I like some shows on SVES, but the music is annoying. Confused and from what i hear Toonami Saturdays will be even better then the current SvEs.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
So, basically it's virutally the same schedule (being AS is Sun-Thurs?) and Toonami is moving to Saturdays?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
So, basically it's virutally the same schedule (being AS is Sun-Thurs?) and Toonami is moving to Saturdays?

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Cartoon Network's getting about like TechTV when it comes to scheduling their anime...making up new little rules here & there and making last-minute changes with little warning...

Ah well. As long as they actually manage to show the stuff somehow (and SEED turns out relatively unscathed) I'll be happy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
okendri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:59 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
lianncoop wrote:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Cartoon Network's getting about like TechTV when it comes to scheduling their anime...making up new little rules here & there and making last-minute changes with little warning...

Ah well. As long as they actually manage to show the stuff somehow (and SEED turns out relatively unscathed) I'll be happy.

They are giving us a month and a half notice, which should give people plenty of time to adjust.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:22 am Reply with quote
Hm, true. What I meant by "making up rules with little heads-up" was basically that they seem to keep dropping little press releases every week that hint at schedule changes that tend to contradict one another. The closer we get to the supposed airdate, the bigger, stranger, and more contradictory the changes. Reminds me of TechTV's current practices...

"Okay, on Mondays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays, we'll air it at 2 a.m., while Fridays it airs at 3 p.m., and Saturdays it starts at 1:33½ f.m. and ends around 10:65 p.a. On the night of the Equinox, we air it at 21:50 and continue airing it at that timeslot on every third day until the following month when we invent a brand new hour between Sunday and June. NONO! Scratch that, we're ditching the Sunday & June thing and just running it between Robot Wars & Adam Sessler's Aquaman conniption, which occur on opposite ends of Happy Hour on perpendcicular weeks. Simple as that."

Basically, if they could just wait and hold off the press releases until they have the final, set-in-stone schedule (as opposed to "okay, this is how it is so far...no, wait, scratch that, THIS! NO! THIIIIS!!!"), and then give us the whole new lineup in one fell swoop, I'd be a lot happier and a lot less confused.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Meson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:39 am Reply with quote
I wonder where the viewer cards will go to. Maybe Wednesday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:05 am Reply with quote
Why does eveyone want to have some stupid card?

Random Dumba**:

Blah blah, stupid crap, blah blah...

[adult swim]:

Dear Random Dumba**,

[insert sarcastic comment and/or viewership insult here]
Luff-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Swordfish_II wrote:
Why does eveyone want to have some stupid card?

Random Dumba**:

Blah blah, stupid crap, blah blah...

[adult swim]:

Dear Random Dumba**,

[insert sarcastic comment and/or viewership insult here]

Better than commercials, if you ask me.

I think they should just shoot Toonami, but that's just me. I liked the Friday thing, and now they put on what I hate most about CN?!

Miguzi? Does that have a meaning? Did they just make that up? Toonami...well, it has Toon in it, and is relativly relevant, but Miguzi seems a little random.

I hope they made a mistake about the time slot for Toonami. But it appears they didn't, and now I must find something to do on Fridays between 7 and midnight Rolling Eyes

I like a few things on this "Miguzi" though, so nothing against that. But, this means less Toonami all week. With 2 or 3 hours a day through the week, thats about 10 to 13 hours of Toonami. But now, it is only 5 hours. So there is a plus.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Luff-Chan wrote:
Miguzi? Does that have a meaning? Did they just make that up? Toonami...well, it has Toon in it, and is relativly relevant, but Miguzi seems a little random.

Apparently its Japanese for swimsuit. Understanable since its hosted from a sunken ship, ironic in the fact that the block will only contain American made shows and anime wannabees.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Actually, that would be... Mizugi for the swimsuit reference.

Mizu=water
gi=clothing, or garment. (think of a karate gi)

Not miguzi... which I have no idea what that means actually...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3