• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - A Lighter of Gold

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I admit I liked CT more, but I think Star Ocean came up with better approaches to getting multiple endings.

Star Ocean 2 remains my all-time favorite RPG. Not so much to do with the endings, but with the battle system, crafting system, and replaying to get the characters I skipped over the first time through.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
GOLD-LIIIII-TAN!!!!!

Now that's awesome. Didn't know he was 'Tatsunoko'. So he's going to be in the game too, cool.

So that's what the 'Chrono Trigger' on DS is going to look like. Hmm... getting really hard to resist the temptation.

As for the vintage games. They need to update those for the DS and release them. I would really love a chance at playing 'Phantasy Star IV'. They said it was the best of the series. Though they did port 1-3 on GBA. And did a s***y job of it.

SquareEnix on the iPod? I took at the game last night. Oh gawd. Man SquareEnix is really pushing as many areas as they can.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
My cousin used to have that old Lynx system and about all the games including Dracula X. God, it's been so long.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Atlus decided not to take long to bring over Persona 4 Very Happy

I enjoyed P3, but I was really disappointed by its minimalistic plot that didn't hold a candle to the three PSone games. Glad to hear from an interview in 1up that the plot will be 1.5 bigger than P3, and that they'll improve the localization this time around.

Hope the increasing popularity of the Persona franchise will improve he chances of releasing the first game on the PSP with improved translation.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrno: If you don't mind looking for a used PS2, or if your PS3 is backwards-compatible, you can
play PSIV.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Chrno: If you don't mind looking for a used PS2, or if your PS3 is backwards-compatible, you can
play PSIV.

Oh, crap!! I didn't know they included the game on the 'Sega Collection'. Hahah! Thanks for that info. I'll try and grab it.
Thanks for the heads up! Smile Wink

I'm always looking to play some classic RPGs other than 'FF'.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, Persona 4! But December wow. At least I'll have Tales of Vesperia to occupy me by then :3

Trigger getting a port to DS doesn't surprise me. It ruled the SNES RPG gaming era. I wonder if the Lufia series will ever get one (I know it's had a couple ports, but not particularly good ones).
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember when Phantasy Star IV first made it out here...I paid $100 for it at Target. Took me a year almost to beat the damned thing, hehe. Still one of the best games ever created, in my opinion. It's too bad Sega will never release the updated ones that came out in Japan a few years back. I know they were slated for release out here but, for whatever reason they just kept getting pushed back. It'd be really cool to play 'em with the updated graphics, just to see how they did it and all that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Camelot... Man, I wish they hadn't made that Golf game. They should've stuck to Golden Sun!
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Ta-kun The Black Kitty wrote:
Camelot... Man, I wish they hadn't made that Golf game. They should've stuck to Golden Sun!

I know this probably doesn't help much, but here's a possible Golden Sun 3:http://wii.ign.com/objects/015/015822.html. If indeed that is the case, I really wish it wasn't for the Wii, anything but that.

But for the most part, sounds as if I missed out on something in regards to Chrono Trigger/Cross (and Earthbound for that matter). Not that I have anything to play them on now...but can't do too much about it.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Why are people complaining about CT not requiring strategy? I don't think I've ever found myself in a situation in an RPG where I had to think of a legitimate "strategy" to fight anything (casting all buffs and healing as needed is not a strategy). I almost always collect everything in my first run so I usually have at least one or two really strong items at any point in the game but I'm almost always chronically underleveled in every game that I play. And I used to play RPGs pretty exclusively.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
GUESS WHAT I DON'T LIKE CHRONO TRIGGER

Also, the music in that game is phenomenal.
mlisette23

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm mostly excited for Persona 4 and Chrono Trigger to be released here. Though out of the two I'm especially looking forward to Persona 4, I just keep loving Atlus more and more. Now if only NISA would announce Ar Tonelico 2 my year would be complete.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I came here to talk about PSIV being on the Genesis Collection, but I was beaten to it twice already. But hey, it's only $9 brand new at GameStop right now, with the sale going on.

Wish my copy of PS Collection hadn't been stolen. 'because then I'd have PS Collection (1-3), PSII, PSIII, and Genesis Collection (2-4).

And I'd have PSIV, too, if I wanted to fork over the $60 for it at that little game shop I found...
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I too remember the days of being spurned by Squaresoft during the golden years of SNES, and I too still hold a grudge to this day.

With all the cruddy Mana games that have come out the past few years, I think they owe it to us to make an official US release of Seiken Densetsu III. Oh, and if they throw in Bahamut Lagoon, that'd be great too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3