• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Does Not Rule U.S. Graphic Novel Sales in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU...just...no.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
GATSU...just...no.

Nah, let's see how deep he can keep digging. Wink
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh GATSU, I tend to enjoy the hell out of your antics, but sadly-- you're a bit off on this one.

This isn't a title that easily fits into your occidental-comics-suck mantra. Let's put it away today, and bring it out when it really counts. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Would it be considered sad if I said that I never heard of this Watchmen thing until recently? Anime hyper Seriously, if it wasn't for the sudden hype it got thanks to the trailer being attach to The Dark Knight, I would've never heard of it. -normally doesn't follow comic things other than The Amory Wars so yeah...-

But I'm glad to see all the Shippuuden volumes on there right now. ^^ I can't stop re-reading my volumes over and over again. And I can't wait for September to see if the list will have all three, plus Volume 31.

>.> -is a Narutard and doesn't read any of the other titles on there...what else do you expect from me-
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:04 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Guy: Dude, it did not invent anything. You can tell the characters are allusions to other comic book heroes, and that it's just trying to portray them as having weaker and more despicable sides to their personalities. And as for the fanfic argument, the Hugo people nominated Firefly, so...

Dude. Sorry. You obviously have never read it and are just talking out of your ass.

By the way...what's wrong with Firefly? Confused Oh wait, it's because it's not "anime", right?

Dude. Take your Japanophilia somewhere else.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
>.> -is a Narutard and doesn't read any of the other titles on there...what else do you expect from me-

What do I expect? Actually, Naruto fans should definitely check out Watchmen, because later in the Naruto manga (SPOILERS!!!!) spoiler[moral relativism suddenly enters the list of themes (yeah, I was shocked as you were, who knew Kishi would go THAT route with explaining the reason why the Uchihas were massacred?), so reading Watchmen (which deals with the theme FAR better, though Kishi did a pretty good job himself) would be recommended.]
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
gynocrat: I don't hate American comics. I just get bored with them, because they only have two flavors: dark and campy.

Guy: You were saying hybrids don't win, but Firefly is a Star Wars/Outlaw Star wannabe, so...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Guy: You were saying hybrids don't win, but Firefly is a Star Wars/Outlaw Star wannabe, so...

Except Firefly didn't have aliens, lasers, magic/"Force", etc. It had some similarities to Bebop, but nothing major. But SW/OS? Um, no, aside from the "girl in the box" deal (and that's a minor similarity) and the fact that they take on jobs (but Bebop did that as well).
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
gynocrat: I don't hate American comics. I just get bored with them, because they only have two flavors: dark and campy.

Dark and campy...yet you're Berserk fan?

Anime elitism = Fail.
GATSU wrote:

Even more proof that you obviously have no godamn clue what the hell you're talking about...
arbitrary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Can we ignore Gatsu and focus on the topic at hand now?

doctordoom85 wrote:
fighterholic wrote:
arbitrary wrote:
It'd be nice to see some other Japanese manga up there at 1#, 2# and 3#.

Pretty soon Naruto will be up there by itself, so there will be a need for another manga series to really bring some hype to the American manga fandom in order to be able to really make an impact.

Bleach is still ongoing and makes the list, and Death Note is STILL making the chart, impressive after all this time.

Maybe the next long-running anime that comes to Cartoon Network/Adult Swim will heighten the manga awareness and get it in the chart. D. Gray-man seems the most likely choice assuming a TV deal's made, and Soul Eater could be a possibility whenever its anime gets licensed.

That depends on Kim Manning/William Street/ Mike Lazzo(sp?), but AS refuses to advertise their anime(And no, I am not attacking Adult Swim, so please AS fanatics don't fanboy me to death. I am simply stating a fact) so that doesn't help much. As for Cartoon Network, I think they are only accepting VIZ titles so unless VIZ has D.Gray Man(I honestly don’t know) I doubt it.

Shonen whether you hate them or not, are an excellent means of making an impact and remaining relevant.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Hurm. An American comic topping the American charts. Didn't think they did that anymore. Reminds me of a certain person's journal entry.

"42nd Street: Women's breasts draped across every billboard, every display, littering the sidewalk. Was offered Swedish love and French love, but not American love. American love; like Coke in green glass bottles, they don't make it anymore."

Is that gonna be me someday? Walking around with an End is Nigh sign? Was offered manga and global manga, but not American comics. Like Coke in green glass bottles, they don't just make comics anymore.

arbitrary wrote:

It's nice that foreign titles are dominating domestic ones? Excuse me if I don't think that's so great. Meanwhile, you do realize that normally it IS Japanese titles taking up the top slots, right?

GATSU wrote:
Watchmen's basically a pompous fanfic masquerading as an epic, but I admit that trailer does have me psyched. Anyway, those strong Batman sales might be good for that manga from the Togari guy.
GATSU wrote:
Guy: Dude, it did not invent anything. You can tell the characters are allusions to other comic book heroes, and that it's just trying to portray them as having weaker and more despicable sides to their personalities. And as for the fanfic argument, the Hugo people nominated Firefly, so...

Well I just know that you've never read much about it, neve rmind actually reading it, so I can almost excuse you from talking out your ass.

As for fanfic, is that what you call corporately owned characters like Marvel and DC? You don't think any good can come of that structure? I'm not a big fan of it in theory myself, but I have to admit good stories do come from it. Watchmen is one of the finest. And no crap that Watchmen uses allusions to other heros. Namely the characters from Carlton Comics that DC had just bought. Moore was going use them specifically, but DC wanted to use them later and didn't want Moore breaking them. So instead Moore rethought it and created alternate versions. He also created a rich alternate American history. Watchmen is quite a rich book, thick with themes and characters. It easily defeats most any other book on there.

Complaining that Watchmen didn't invent anything is as stupid as saying that Evangelion didn't either. I like to compare the two in that they both deconstructed a popular genre in their medium, one with supeheros in comics and the other with mecha in anime.

Then again instead of reading those good classic Batman tales, you can only think of how their sales will improve the sales of some random Batman story by a Japanese mangaka. How do you say 'Pull your head out of your ass' in weeaboo?
Moomintroll wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
I wonder which Batman titles made it. Dark Knight Returns seems obvious (always popular, and the name is close to the movie's title), but what about the other 4?
BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE (#04)
BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN (#08)
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS (#11)
BATMAN: YEAR ONE (#13)
ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER VOL. 1 (#16)
The full list is:
Quote:
1. WATCHMEN
2. NARUTO VOL. 30
3. FRUITS BASKET VOL. 20
4. BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE
5. NARUTO VOL. 29
6. Y: THE LAST MAN VOL. 10
7. IN ODD WE TRUST
8. BATMAN: THE LONG HALLOWEEN
9. NARUTO VOL. 28
10. WANTED
11. BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS
12. CHIBI VAMPIRE VOL. 9
13. BATMAN: YEAR ONE
14. BLEACH VOL. 23
15. DEATH NOTE VOL. 1
16. ALL-STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, THE BOY WONDER VOL. 1
17. THE WALKING DEAD VOL. 8
18. KINGDOM HEARTS II VOL. 2
19. DEATH NOTE VOL. 2
20. MARVEL ZOMBIES 2
I have to say Naruto at Vol 30 and Fruits Basket at 20 is pretty amazing. Same for Bleach. Chibi Vampire vol 9? Meanwhile, woot for Walking Dead and Y the Last Man selling well. Two fantastic books. Nice to see all those classic Batman tales. Well, save for the entertaining train wreck of All Star Batman & Robin.

Last edited by The Xenos on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't hate American comics. I just get bored with them, because they only have two flavors: dark and campy.

Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Green Lantern (Sinestro Corp wars FTW)

Read them. NOW. They all have collected forms.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Guy: Berserk ain't campy; and it isn't completely dark, either.

Xenos: Actually, I owned it, but nice try. And Eva didn't invent anything new; even Anno admits that.

Hyper: Thanks for the recommendations. It's nice to know someone can give me specific examples of comics which don't fit that mold. I am aware of Greenie, though, and I do get a kick out of him, and wonder why DC doesn't want to make a movie with him-since he's more interesting than Supes. I guess what I meant to say is that they tend to get stuck in those styles, but they occasionally do different things, if the publisher lets them.
arbitrary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Hurm. An American comic topping the American charts. Didn't think they did that anymore. Reminds me of a certain person's journal entry.

"42nd Street: Women's breasts draped across every billboard, every display, littering the sidewalk. Was offered Swedish love and French love, but not American love. American love; like Coke in green glass bottles, they don't make it anymore."

Is that gonna be me someday? Walking around with an End is Nigh sign? Was offered manga and global manga, but not American comics. Like Coke in green glass bottles, they don't just make comics anymore.

arbitrary wrote:

It's nice that foreign titles are dominating domestic ones? Excuse me if I don't think that's so great. Meanwhile, you do realize that normally it IS Japanese titles taking up the top slots, right?

Since you are unaware, I'll clarify what I meant by "other", I meant Manga other than Naruto, FruitBaskets, and a few jump titles. The stateside manga fandom is in need of some new hits to keep it alive and relevant. Next time, I hope you will refrain from talking to me and coming off like a complete ass because your inner "fanboy pride" was hurt.

Clearly, we hate america because we don't buy american graphic novels. Had it occured to you that different people have differing
taste? Guess what? I love Manga, but I also love American Poetry and Novels too. "OMG! GTFO!" I know that must be a tough concept for you to grasp. I like anime, but I love American sitcoms save for Family Guy, American Dad, and to some extent South Park.

Last edited by arbitrary on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
So warning about people not buying domestic product makes me a fascist? Well isn't that delightful.

Sorry. I am just a wee bit touchy after encountering wave after wave of manga fans who will only read manga and won't touch anything produced in their own country. I like manga too, but to me Japan is just another place to look for good comics, not the only place. I'm astounded by a younger generations and even kids my age who simply refuse to touch any comic that's not from Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6