• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation licenses Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syr

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
That was kinda harsh.. don't you think?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Well aside from the whole meaningless debate about the fansubs (since I've never even seen them,) I'm just glad I'll get a chance to see this series on DVD now.

Good luck to FUNi in making a good dub... Wink
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:04 pm Reply with quote
ryusuke87 wrote:
They've already ruined so many anime (why the hell would they dub Lupin the 3rd's name pronouncing it "Lupin" when the katakana used to spell his name clearly states "ru-pa-n"? "To stop confusion" my ass!

Because he's Lupin, not Rupan. Lupin isn't actually Japanese. It's based on the grandson of Arsene Lupin, a character in a series of popular French novels, hence Lupin III. It only ends up as Rupan in Japanese because, to my knowledge, there is no true "L" sound in Japanese, so it comes out more like an "R." You've done nothing here except to show your own ignorance.

ryusuke87 wrote:
And why rename "Detective Conan" to "Case Closed"?).

And why whine about a change in the title? That doesn't change the show or any of the characters. And in the United States, "Detective Conan" would be reminiscent of Conan the barbarian.

ryusuke87 wrote:
The only upside to this entire ordeal is that there'll be a Japanese track on the 3-episode, released-too-slowly DVDs. This really sucks... But at least I could still get raws from a certain source...he he he.....

Japanese releases are 2-episode and cost more than U.S. releases. But you don't seem to care since you're going to your illegal sources.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Oi! Can we NOT have a continuing discussion about how "horrible" Funimation is?! Oh no! Funi got FMA! They'll ruin it. They'll release an uncut version, so people should just quit whinning, because whinning won't do anything about it! Really, I think this topic has been addressed enough on this forum. *sticks her earplugs back in and won't take them out again untill she's sure the complaints have stopped*
ryusuke87

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Because he's Lupin, not Rupan. Lupin isn't actually Japanese. It's based on the grandson of Arsene Lupin, a character in a series of popular French novels, hence Lupin III. It only ends up as Rupan in Japanese because, to my knowledge, there is no true "L" sound in Japanese, so it comes out more like an "R." You've done nothing here except to show your own ignorance.

Actually, Mr. Smart-ass, because it is based on the French novels, it is pronounced "Lupan." I was saying that the katakana (a Japanese writing system, but I'm sure you know that) also is spelled with "pa-n" (ルパン). The focus of my argument was the "pa-n", not whether there's an L sound in the Japanese language. Now who's ignorant?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote
ryusuke87 wrote:
Actually, Mr. Smart-ass, because it is based on the French novels, it is pronounced "Lupan." I was saying that the katakana (a Japanese writing system, but I'm sure you know that) also is spelled with "pa-n" (ルパン). The focus of my argument was the "pa-n", not whether there's an L sound in the Japanese language. Now who's ignorant?

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the official manga-ka published their own romanization of the name, and it was spelt "Lupin"?
ryusuke87

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:42 pm Reply with quote
No, because the original novels were spelt Lupin, and so is Monkey Punch's Lupin III. Look, I'm willing to stop talking about this, but don't call people ignorant assuming they aren't mega fans of what their debating. Isn't this thread supposed to be about FMA, anyway?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
syr wrote:
That was kinda harsh.. don't you think?

I don't.

I can understand people being personally disappointed about the fact that they will have to wait a while to see the rest of the show.

I mean let's face the facts from that person's point of view, they've been watching the show for a while now, and suddenly, *bang* they're told not to watch it till a proper release comes out.

So yeah, I do understand their disappointment about having to wait. But there's a whole grouped of people that complain when things are licensed. Some of these people blame the licensors as if they had done something unfair by licensing the anime and expecting fansubs to stop now.

That point of view is one of the most selfish, self-centered and asinine that I've ever heard, and it is extremely disappointing of late the number of people that feel that way.

I mean, I'm disappointed that I can't buy a Ferrari, but do I blame Ferrari? Nah, I bought a Lotus instead Smile
ryusuke87

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And why whine about a change in the title? That doesn't change the show or any of the characters. And in the United States, "Detective Conan" would be reminiscent of Conan the barbarian.

By the way, FUNI also changed character's names, so that statement about not changing characters is, well...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:48 pm Reply with quote
This probably means they gave up on One Piece.
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Lost in all the wailing over the possible end to fansubbing is the news that Cartoon Network is supposed to start running this series in Oct. So where should they put it? This one could go either to Adult Swim or Toonami. And if AS got it, would it be run once weekly or every night? I guess that depends on how fast Funi can dub the episodes.

Funi may edit for TV but should also release new uncut DVDs with dub and sub tracks. The series will get a lot more mass-market exposure. Why is that bad news? (^_*)
Cassandra

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:05 pm Reply with quote
ryusuke87 wrote:
Quote:

By the way, FUNI also changed character's names, so that statement about not changing characters is, well...

The names are only changed for the dub. They said the names will stay the same for the subtitled track.

"In addition the renaming the series, FUNimation will also be renaming most of the characters for a mass-market release. Similarly to the series name-change, FUNimation informs us that they "worked closely" with their Japanese partners to pick names that would be suitable for the show and more acceptable to western TV audienced. However, they confirmed for us that the DVD will have a subtitled track that would feature the characters' original Japanese names."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
ryusuke87 wrote:

Yes, it is pronounced "Lupan" because it's French. But it's still spelled "Lupin."
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:19 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
ryusuke87 wrote:

Yes, it is pronounced "Lupan" because it's French. But it's still spelled "Lupin."

Funimation isn't the first group to not have "correct" pronounciations of characters names, and it hardly "ruins" the anime. Yeah, the French say it with an "pan", but us dumb Americans mostly have problems saying french words, so you can use that as your excuse.

One thing I'm going to miss when the dub of FMA shows up is how Al's name is said. I've gotten to used to hearing "Alru" and I think it's cute. But us Americans must read it like how it's spelt. In the English language "pin" does not make an "pan" sound, so it makes sense that the dub pronouces it like "pin."
mufurc

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:33 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
The series will get a lot more mass-market exposure. Why is that bad news? (^_*)

'Cause I, being a non-US resident, won't get to see any of it. For me the whole US license thing means that since the quality fansub stops, I'll see the rest of the series either with a horrible Engrish-like translation, or in raw. And since I know I won't have money to buy the US release DVDs when they come out (especially if they'll be 3 eps/disc), that'll be the only version of this wonderful anime that I'll see for a long, long time.

But yeah... that's bad news for me. Americans who whine about "wah, it's gonna be on Adult Swim, it's the end of the world as we know it" should be glad that at least they'll see it on TV, and they'll be able to buy it on DVD without the extra cost that comes with importing stuff.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8