• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Guilty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:37 am Reply with quote
I don't agree that Zero wasn't meant to be a real contender in the triangle, there's a reason he was pretty much the main focus of the first half of the manga.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
I know he gets a lot of screen time, but I also strongly feel that Kaname was supposed to be the main contender and I really don't feel like he is, though I am always a bit worried that it will end up that way because I'm not convinced that the only ending out there is Yuuki/Zero (though I both strongly prefer it and would consider it more likely, given how all three characters have been portrayed).

I guess it also does change things because I've read the current manga chapters and so I know what's going on with Kaname more than people who've just seen the anime would, and without spoiling anything, I think it strengthens that idea that Kaname was supposed to be the primary love interest. As I said before, I think Zero was supposed to be a big player at the beginning, but then Yuuki would end up killing him at the end of his arc. But I feel that pretty early on plans changed, because Zero is just too dynamic a character to not keep around (and popular, for that matter).

Also I suppose I am coming at it from a writer's point of view, where I know original plans very often to not end up being the final result. That's just how these things go.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Zero is my favorite character and if he dies, I'll be so upset. He's had enough tragedy in his life and he deserves a happy ending of some sort. It worries me because I think the manga-ka has mentioned that Kaname is her favorite. Though I admit she's done her darnest to keep Zero in the picture. Speaking of pictures, I heard that she hides clues in the color artwork and she's drawn Yuuki and Zero in Night Class uniforms several times, which gives me some hope. I think she and Zero definitely belong together, especially since now that we manga readers know that spoiler[Kaname is her brother] but anything is possible in anime and manga. And yeah, Kaname is a good-looking but manipulative douchebag.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

I guess another reason I feel that the theory about Zero could be right is the fact that I have never seen the series as a reverse harem. Yes, I do think that Zero was meant to be part of a triangle, but I think of it more along the lines of how things are in most love triangles in the manga of Watase Yuu: it's always blatantly obvious who the heroine will end up with. And my feeling is that originally, Kaneme/Yuuki (not Kaname/Zero, why do I keep trying to type that, silly inner yaoi fangirl Razz) was supposed to be The Couple (TM), while Zero was a rival but not a serious contender.

I remember the other day when I was thinking about VK love-triangle and Ceres just popped into my mind, but that just becase how Kaname's melancholic streak -and really nice hair- reminded me of Touya while Zero's protectiveness of Yuuki and distrust of Kaname kind of reminded me of Yuhi Anime hyper

This is a very logical observation. I became a Kaname fan since the first episode and naturally, KanameXYuuki became my favored pairing, but I tried not to get my hopes up seeing all the amount of screentime that Zero got with Yuuki and how even Kaname felt threatened by how close they had gotten by the end of season 1, but reading this and finding out about developments later on in the manga kind of intensified my hope for those two.

Seeing as how Zero's popularity easily crushes Kaname's, I think that the manga-ka would be pressured by the editor to keep him around until the very end, and either pair him up with Yuuki to appease the majority of the fans (noooT_T) or give him an epic death scene so he would be imprinted into the minds of his fans for a pretty long time after the series ends.

rinmackie wrote:
I think she and Zero definitely belong together, especially since now that we manga readers know that spoiler[Kaname is her brother] but anything is possible in anime and manga.

I haven't read the manga yet, but from what I understood from manga discussions that I read is that spoiler[Kaname and Yuuki aren't related by blood and she was just raised by Kaname's family.]
Westlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote
^ spoiler[Kaname is Yuuki's (and Rido's) ancestor, they are related]

I'm up to date with the manga, my impression was a ZeroxYuuki end from the start and nothing has changed that period.

Also why are Kaname fans trying to say Zero is more popular? Last poll I saw in lala had Kaname with more votes (slightly.. like 3050 to 3014..) while ZeroxYuuki was the more popular pairing by a fairly decent margin...
SuWern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
Argh. I'm so outdated Sad
I haven't start with the manga yet.
Maybe I should just spend some time and read up everything Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:16 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Also, IIRC, spoiler[the body that Kaname's spirit is inside is biologically Yuuki's brother.] But the anime won't be touching this for another little while, though I do expect to see it because spoiler[of the long-haired Yuuki appearing in promos and in the OP].

And yeah, I'd heard that Zero and Kaname were actually always pretty close in the polls over favourites.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

spoiler[My bad, it seems I misunderstood that bit about her family. I wonder who Kaname's wife was Anime hyper ]

Quote:
Also why are Kaname fans trying to say Zero is more popular? Last poll I saw in lala had Kaname with more votes (slightly.. like 3050 to 3014..) while ZeroxYuuki was the more popular pairing by a fairly decent margin...

I haven't seen those polls, but my impression is that it's easier to come across Zero fans than Kaname fans in English forums.
living_puppet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
So exactly how far into the manga does the anime cover (so far)? I know the scene where Zero drinks Kaname's blood happens a little later in the manga, but other than that does it sync up pretty close? I skimmed it a little and it seemed like season 1 covered up to about chapter 30 or so.

Raven Shinobi wrote:
I haven't seen those polls, but my impression is that it's easier to come across Zero fans than Kaname fans in English forums.

Well I personally prefer the Yuuki/Zero side of the triangle, but I by no means dislike the Kaname character at all. It's just, from the perspective of the anime, I know less about him at this point. So that could change.

Also, and I know this is just a stereotype, but Zero is a white/silver haired pretty boy.... you know what that usually means, lol. I wouldn't be surprised if something happens that creates a riff between Zero and Yuuki. Okay, not necessarily, but originally who knows...maybe he was supposed to be more of a villain.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
living_puppet wrote:
So exactly how far into the manga does the anime cover (so far)? I know the scene where Zero drinks Kaname's blood happens a little later in the manga, but other than that does it sync up pretty close? I skimmed it a little and it seemed like season 1 covered up to about chapter 30 or so.

It has been a pretty close adaptation so far, so you're probably right about how far it goes to. As for how far the new season will get, it's hard to tell but it definitely should reach the current arc that the manga is on. I have to say I am a bit worried about the possibility that it will surpass the manga, though I'm not sure when the manga is expected to end (this recent arc seems like a final one to me).
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
living_puppet wrote:

Well I personally prefer the Yuuki/Zero side of the triangle, but I by no means dislike the Kaname character at all. It's just, from the perspective of the anime, I know less about him at this point. So that could change.

IMO, Kaname is a misunderstood character. Zero acts on his emotions which makes him appear more heroic, add to that his sufferring through a cruel fate, it makes it all the easier to sympathize and root for him.

Kaname on the other hand is very secretive and acts from behind the scenes -he struck me as the type who looks at the bigger picture and acts accroding to what he thinks is in the best interest of Yuuki and the future of both vampire and humans, which at times his methods for acheiving desired results make him come off as cruel and manipulative. We'll see if everyone's opinion of him will change once we have his entire story and reasoning for doing what he does laid out before us.

And just to be clear I like both Kaname and Zero, it's just that Kaname interests me a bit more and I like his seiyuu better than Miyano-san ^^
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
living_puppet wrote:

IMO, Kaname is a misunderstood character. Zero acts on his emotions which makes him appear more heroic, add to that his sufferring through a cruel fate, it makes it all the easier to sympathize and root for him.

Kaname on the other hand is very secretive and acts from behind the scenes -he struck me as the type who looks at the bigger picture and acts accroding to what he thinks is in the best interest of Yuuki and the future of both vampire and humans, which at times his methods for acheiving desired results make him come off as cruel and manipulative. We'll see if everyone's opinion of him will change once we have his entire story and reasoning for doing what he does laid out before us.

See, that makes sense, and I might like Kaname except for

Quote:
the future of both vampire and humans

You really think so? I think he's acting in the interest of vampires, and humans be damned unless they prove useful to his own struggle against the only foe holding the purebloods back from reigning Europe as they once did. I don't think he dislikes humans, but WHY do I get the feeling his agreement with the chairman is more farcical than it first appears? He's just...slippery. Cold. Ruthless. And nothing in his actions has promoted him as a human sympathizer except his love for Yuuki...who he wants to make a vampire anyway, so it doesn't really count.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I would like Kaname a lot more if he wasn't so controlling of Yuuki. Some of the things he does just cross a line with me.

However, I will admit that finally seeing his motivations about being spoiler[raised as Yuuki's brother] made me look at him differently and appreciate him more. I don't really dislike him, I just don't really like him either.

But he is pretty Smile
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

See, that makes sense, and I might like Kaname except for

Quote:
the future of both vampire and humans

You really think so?

The impression that I got from seeing what was released so far of the anime was that what Kaname is aiming at is coexistense, and the chairman seems to understand where he's coming from and trusts him, I don't know if my impression on that will change as I read further into the manga.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I would like Kaname a lot more if he wasn't so controlling of Yuuki. Some of the things he does just cross a line with me.

Well, he's madly in love with Yuuki and wants to keep her out of danger at all costs. He might be a little possessive, but he's still very concerned about her happiness. I got the impression that he's jealous of how Zero is able to be with her and protect her directly, yet takes into account that Zero is a very important person to Yuuki, that's why he ended up giving Zero his blood, otherwise she'll be saddened if he turned into a level E vampire, and kept silent about her allowing Zero to drink her blood though he himself wanted to so badly.

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
though I'm not sure when the manga is expected to end (this recent arc seems like a final one to me).

Everyone thought it was winding down right now but the author said that we are currently at the halfway point. Also the new bad guy is.... spoiler[someone will know well.. hinting towards it being either Zero or Kaname. Bet it leans towards being the former (since he's still in revenge mode) but ends up being the latte. His "plan" for a better world is going to go down as good as the Chairman's from Gundam SEED Destiny and even though lots of Kaname fan girls can't see it Zero even though he's overpowered as fudge right now isn't top bad guy status. I'm sorry but a lone ranger isn't exactly much compared to someone who's been pulling strings from day 1 and has legions of followers.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9