• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Horror TV Anime 'Another'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'd be wary of another early license of a show by Sentai Filmworks, but this one actually seems to be paying dividends. It's a really good show, so far, and while I can understand some people's antsyness over the pacing, this is one of those shows that looks to be a slow-burner. It has a good pedigree to it and on BD, it should looking stunning (as it already does on Crunchyroll at 1080p).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well after the first episode this have a creepy feeling
TopGunman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
And I was just about to start watching it online, but now I'm gonna wait for the dub. YEAH! 'ANAZA' DUBBU!! GETTU DAZZE!!
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory pun upcoming. Sentai acquires Another anime from this season, wow!

skyreno4 wrote:
im sure funimation is Pissed off right about now ^^

It's become apparent that Funimation has been focusing its negotiations with Lawyers and not Licensors, unfortunately. Regardless, they have more than their fair share of backlogged cash cows that need to be released, and then they will see a good amount of money flowing in.

As for Hanasaku Iroha, I loved the series and I really want to see it released in the US, I'd probably rather see it go to NISA since I feel that it doesn't necessarily need an English dub, but would definitely benefit from being released on Blu-ray with the awesome art books they put out because of the show's fantastic animation.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this gets a dub. I miss a lot of the animation when I have to read and the animation is one of the strong points of this series. I really hope I'll be able to watch this dubbed!
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
As excited as I am for this (like, really really excited for this), I sure hope Sentai doesn't strain itself. They've licensed quite a lot already. I also hope they put some care into their upcoming releases rather than rush them. I do wonder what magic spell they're using on the Japanese license holders though, because the turn-around time on this is insane (assuming that their estimated release time-frame will be accurate).
silencer226

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh good, this is the show I've looked forward too this season, and so far am enjoying it. It's slow paced but I like that Razz, I'm glad its not moving too fast.

I'll be putting $60 back to buy this, because its looking like I'll be jobless in another week or two due to my job basically shutting down... hopefully somebody calls me for an interview, been filling apps out like crazy and calling and visiting...
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Yay!!!
This is the one I was hoping Sentai would pick up.

Though I do find it a bit odd, since it is a Kadokawa title.
Hopefully, this bodes well, for more future/past Kadokawa titles.

-chants-
Nichijou... Nichijou... Nichijou...
JuicyB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I didn't even know about this series. Gotta make more effort to keep up with the new seasons of anime I guess.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The trial date for the FUNimation suing ADV case isn't even set until OCTOBER, so while jarring at first, it isn't unusual that Section 23 will be conducting "business as usual" in spite of the circumstances, so hearing of new announcements isn't unusual.

Frankly just hearing that they're licensing stuff gives me the small hope that the trial will be settled out of court and quickly, with little disruption in business, as opposed to a long and messy legal battle which drains both companies of cash for lawyer fees.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite glad to see this news, though more for the fact that it will be released in NA and that it will be getting a BD release (didn't matter to me who was going to release it). Another is one of the shows I've been keeping tabs on, based on what I've read about it.

Based on Sentai Filmworks past BD release practices, I'm fairly confident that we can expect it to include an English dub.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I know every company is different but it's wild to hear about fears of reverse importation then see something like this where the last JP volume releases on 8/13/2012 and, assuming no delays, the full series will be available and playable on JP BD players at a maximum of 4.5 months later for less than the price of one JP volume.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
This is really great news. Just one more show I won't bother with fan subs for. I'll just wait for the blu-ray and enjoy all the horror goodness then! Very Happy
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
"Hey, I just bought Another."

"Another what?"

"Another DVD."

"What's the DVD?"

"It's Another."

"What's another?"

"Another DVD. I also got Another Blu-Ray."

continue as you wish...
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
So just when I was seeing which company has some horror stuff, this news pops up. Saw the japanese trailer, and suspect its slow pacing (which is okay, look at Ghost Hound and I thought that was superb) but animation looks very good.

But I wonder if Serephim Digital (studio who dubs sentai's titles) can pull this off with a dub that can match the characters age and attitude(since they all look young, but not "When They Cry" young), yet express the feeling of horror in this anime. If there is any because I'm just speculating on a title I have not watched yet. Well Clint Bickham, Corey Hartzog, Josh Grelle(if he sometimes dubs with Serephim), Brittney Karbowski, and Emily Neves are maybe a few ideas.

But since this is getting a Blu Ray release, I'm going to be patient and not watch the japanese dub episodes yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3