• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kimi Ni Todoke Blu-Ray + DVD Box Set 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
I can agree with that. It probably didn't help that I found Sawako's voice extremely annoying (sorry, Mamiko, you hurt my ears, much prefer your badass character voice). I didn't mind Toru from Fruits Basket half as much as her and if I remember correctly Toru is just as selfless and pure.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 am Reply with quote
I think Sawako's voice is a love-hate thing, based completely on personal preference. I really, really liked it, I thought it matched her character beautifully. At times it came across as a breathless, slightly raspy whisper. It's like nothing I've heard in Anime either before or since; quite unique. But lots of people howled in protest and said it was extremely irritating. I don't think they're wrong, but I can't say that they're right either.

Like I said before, I think it comes down to personal preference. Sort of the same with Sawako's personality and all of the bubble-backgrounds. You either couldn't stand them or thought they were one of the Best Things Ever. It's actually quite interesting, that such an otherwise harmless and quiet title can polarise viewers so quickly.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Kimi Ni Todoke offers a particular kind of experience and I can understand a person not being on board with it. It's not the kind of show I'd like to make a steady diet of, but it did work like gangbusters for me (although even a superfan like myself occasionally lost patience with the glacial pace of Sawako-Kazehaya relationship). And I was definitely in the camp of those who loved Mamiko's performance. In fact, I really enjoyed all the seiyuu performances which is why I didn't care a lick that it wasn't dubbed.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
For me, the appeal of this series is that it's totally pure and happy. No dark pasts, crazy homicidal biotches, incidents of rape/near-rape, etc. Generally, I don't have a problem with that in shojo, but KnT is a nice break from that. It's totally freaking happy and light--true escapism.

And yeah, the slow pace does take its toll, but I've caught up with the NA release of the manga, and even after they get together, the series still has quite a bit of steam.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
What volume are they officially a couple? I'm curious to see what the author does after that point.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
What volume are they officially a couple? I'm curious to see what the author does after that point.

Volume spoiler[10]
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
mannyperson wrote:
crazy homicidal biotches, .

There is one of those. She's very cute so its all forgiven. Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I've said before on this forum and elsewhere that I am absolutely stumped regarding the success of Kimi ni Todoke.

From what I heard from some Japanese girls (fans of the series) and from the reactions I see online, its success is precisely because of the completely and utterly innocent and pure love story it depicts (which I found unrealistic and frustrating, but provides perfect escapism or sigh-worthy hours for other people), with a heroine who is just like her love story a completely innocent and pure person and a completely nice guy as love-interest.

That's why Korean dramas are very popular in Japan too. Ya guys should watch. Smile
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I adore Kimi ni Todoke. I don't mind the slow pace because I love all of the characters. I can understand why other people would be bored to tears by it, but I love it all the same.

I love that Kazehaya is outwardly this perfect guy that everyone admires, but it turns out that he's just as shy, awkward, and unsure of himself as Sawako is where romance is concerned.

I love Chizu and Ayane and how time is taken away from all the main romance to really develop their characters and their friendship with Sawako. I found I cared about these characters and their lives just as much as the two leads.

And I love Sawako. For me, I can really identify with her. She desires to be part of the group, but also doesn't think anyone would actually want to be friends with her. She can't identify when someone genuinely wants to spend time with her and when someone is "just being nice." As a female who has spent a good portion of her life being painfully shy and withdrawn, I often found myself reminded of my own high school years. I think I connected with Sawako in a way a lot of other people won't.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Not a bad series, overall, though there were times I wondered if Sawako wasn't actually some sort of autistic in the clinical sense. Surely, no one can be that dense. Sad

I didn't notice a mention of it in Carl's review, so I'll ask those who already picked this up: Did NISA increase the size of the BD subtitles at all in comparison to its initial BD titles (Katanagatari and Arakawa, IIRC)?
mannyperson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Did NISA increase the size of the BD subtitles at all in comparison to its initial BD titles (Katanagatari and Arakawa, IIRC)?

I can't compare it to the other NISA titles, but the size of the subtitles on this release are perfectly fine, IMO.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2