• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club I; Finals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:44 am Reply with quote
I'm going to follow the herd on this one, Eve no Jikan has always been the standout choice for me during voting. I'm not concerned about its longevity; we're re-establishing something that hasn't been done in a while. A shorter series to whet the appetite is more appropriate than asking people to commit to a full cour show. Conversely, the 6 episode run should provide more fluid discussion than a movie would. We can use this opportunity to fine-tune the format, make sure that people who said they'll provide their input actually will do so. Think of it as a test run, the success of which will enable us to have shows with more episodes next time round.

Something that's been obvious to me from the previous voting thread is that there are no weak choices here. Everything that's been suggested has a goodly amount of potential for discussion. Whichever one wins this time will be followed by something just as strong next time. This bodes well.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:03 am Reply with quote
This sucks! I missed my opportunity to vote for Koi Kaze (I just bought the series).

Oh, well. I'm going with Perfect Blue.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
Based on plot summaries alone, I like the sound of Eve no Jikan the most, so that gets my vote.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
Eve no Jikan. Short, interesting premise, moral questions. I think it'll be better fodder for the book club thread.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kaiba get my vote.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Standings have been updated.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I've just discovered a problem. Crunchyroll has now announced that Eve no Jikan episodes 2 - 6 are only available to premium members. Sad

A couple of possible solutions:

1. A few of us will be getting Crunchyroll gift passes in the next week or so. We could give them to book club members.

2. Originally Crunchyroll sold electronic copies of each episode (.avi format). I purchased each episode and still have them. (I also purchased it on BD so I feel that I have adequately supported the creators.) I'm happy to "lend" my .avi copies to a couple of people provided they promise to "return" them at the end of the book club discussions. I say a couple of people because 10 files ranging from 80mb to 195mb chews up a lot of my monthly internet limit.

Last edited by Errinundra on Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I've just discovered a problem. Crunchyroll has now announced that Eve no Jikan episodes 2 - 6 are only available to premium members. Sad
Talk about bad timing Sad But it should be okay, I like your idea of gift passes for those who don't have a membership. Also, right now Crunchyroll is offering a free 30-day trial for those on the e-mail list, available until the 29th (I think as long as you sign up before the 29th, you get a full 30 days).
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Another possible suggestion for Eve no Jikan is people buy the movie version, which is pretty much identical to the ONA series other than maybe a few minutes of extra animation and an awesome ending theme by Kalafina.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I won't be participating in the Book Club, but I have 3 CR guest passes to donate to the cause.
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info and feedback guys. If Eve does win (as appears to be the case thus far), we'll definitely work something out so that everyone can watch it legally.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
I am in the UK and I don't think EVE no Jikan is available on CR outside the US, regardless if you're a premium member or not. Errinundra, if you'd be happy to "loan" me your avi's that'd be great.

Edit: Seems it is available in the UK after all, so I can guest pass it up as well Smile
supercreep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I also have CR passes to give away to help out with this.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I've already seen Eve and loved it so I'd be willing to donate my guest pass as well.
Tris8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Over 48 hours have passed and there's no new votes, so it looks like Eve no Jikan wins! Very exciting Smile

Eve no Jikan is 6, 15 min episodes, so what I was thinking was we'd split it into 2. For the first discussion watch eps 1-3, and then after maybe 2 weeks watch eps 4-6 and discuss. I haven't seen this series so Im not sure if after the 3rd episode is a good or okay place to stop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4