• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence Box Office Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Looking at Box Office Mojo, the original GiTS Movie only made $515,905, and that was just in 1 theater (the only one it was released in) in 1996, making $2,736 in its opening weekend.

Of course, GiTS 2, has been released in 47 theaters, making $342,113 since opening Sept 17, for an average of $6,760, making $317,772 in its opening weekend
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi:
Quote:
That's also, allegedly (according to a moderator of a Cowboy Bebop board), what a SONY representative said about the Cowboy Bebop movie at an early festival screening, and it got all of 16 screens a weekend.

That was probably before 9/11. [/quote]
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Tenchi:
Quote:
That's also, allegedly (according to a moderator of a Cowboy Bebop board), what a SONY representative said about the Cowboy Bebop movie at an early festival screening, and it got all of 16 screens a weekend.

That was probably before 9/11.

Cowboy Bebop the Movie only made a little over 3 million dollars world wide according to BoxOffice Mojo.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
tokyojoe53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote
you will not be disapointed with steamboy. i saw it here in tokyo and it is great!!!!!!!!!
tokyojoe53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Blonde wrote:
Does Howl's Moving Castle have any sort of release date yet?

yes, in japan it will be november 23rd. but it has been changed twice so who knows. i am looking forward to it. i plan on being at the theatre opening day.
tokyojoe53

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mr Blonde: Whenever Eisner gets his s**t together.

actually, ghibli and miyazaki claimed that unless howl's is as big if not bigger success than sen to chihiro(spirited away) he will not deal with disney, he does not like to do that, thus no u.s. release. if it weren't for lassiter of pixar coming over to japan to act as liason(sp?), miyazaki would of never brought over sen to chihiro' to the states. disney treats ghibli like sh*t. they promise promotion but never really deliver until an academy award comes into the picture and even then they still come short of the mark.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:38 am Reply with quote
Bah! No one put a gun to Miyazaki's head forcing him to sell out to Disney. If he wants another Mononoke or Spirited Away-like success, he has to earn it, not just say he's going to retire
to boost ticket sales. Anyway, the people at Venice supposedly loved Howl, but didn't give it an award, so that must mean it's one of Miyazaki's better films. And if that's the case, I'm glad he booted Honda, because those Digimon producers have no place at Ghibli.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Bah! No one put a gun to Miyazaki's head forcing him to sell out to Disney. If he wants another Mononoke or Spirited Away-like success, he has to earn it, not just say he's going to retire
to boost ticket sales. Anyway, the people at Venice supposedly loved Howl, but didn't give it an award, so that must mean it's one of Miyazaki's better films. And if that's the case, I'm glad he booted Honda, because those Digimon producers have no place at Ghibli.

Do you ever say anything positive? I think it's safe to say that Howl will be a huge hit in Japan, Miyazaki does not have to top himself every time in order to be successful.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Bah! No one put a gun to Miyazaki's head forcing him to sell out to Disney.

He had noting to do with that. Tokuma-Shoten made the deal, and they own Ghibli. While the contract says that Tokuma must authorize all adaptations, and no changes can be made without their permission, Miyazaki still does not have veto power himself. The closest thing he has is a favored ear

That's why Miyazaki sent Weinstein a katana with the tag "no cuts" as a request, instead of just telling him "touch a frame and I'll take the katana to you"
NetDiver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:
... as for Steamboy, i was one of the lucky few to see it at one of the first screenings in North America also at the Toronto Film Festival. i got in there simply because it was the only other anime at the fest. Magnificent movie...

I saw Steamboy at Love & Anarchy Helsinki Film Festival around two weeks ago. Personally I was disappointed with the movie. It was almost like Akira remake at 19th century. The film was excelent technically but it lacked soul, characters and plot. So your left with a mediocre film, that's entertaining the first time you see it but it's not worth buying on dvd IMO.

Of course many will disagree with me, but this is just my opinion on the film. As for Appleseed and Innocence, I'm waiting these movies very keenly. Hope they turn out to be better than Steamboy.
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:04 am Reply with quote
It's just too bad I couldn't catch it in the theaters. Sad

When the nearest city playing it is six-seven hours away or so, how are you going to find time to see it, anyway? (Same with Appleseed, with its limited market.)

I think I'll wait for both this and Appleseed on DVD.
silentjay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:31 am Reply with quote
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:
... too bad it isnt released in Canada...

The Canadian release was on the 29th, it's now playing in a few theatres country wide. The GTA release is at First Markham on Highway 7 between Woodbine and Warden.
Tondog38

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wonder how Appleseed will do.
It will definitely be less than $1 million.
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quote
silentjay wrote:
TMBounty_Hunter wrote:
... too bad it isnt released in Canada...

The Canadian release was on the 29th, it's now playing in a few theatres country wide. The GTA release is at First Markham on Highway 7 between Woodbine and Warden.

dont forget Bloor Cinema Very Happy

i saw Junkers Come Here there during CNAnime 2003
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2