• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Shakugan no Shana English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
or its not a problem, for me and is for you and i'm sorry you have a problem with it but why not take it up with Funi? anyway i understand your point but since there's nothing i can do about it ill just make the best of it. have a good one i'm off too bed.

Christ, what is with the passive-aggressiveness of people recently?

And this has jack-all to do with Funi, honestly.
or maybe you need to get. off your damn high horse and just wait and see. whats funny is you seem mad? and about what. the fact that some of us don't mind what funi is doing?? ill say this one time. the pics that were posted are just that pics. nothing more how do i know the guys that posted the pics have the box from funi? id like to all so see the box set pic!!!!!! please i mean what if the pics are from funimation's stream?? until i own the sets my self i'm done wasting time with you going back and forth about how it will look and. i can care less if someone owns the JP BDs as sometimes the NA team that owns it ---->funi they do there own mixing to fix up the look and colors ect till its out by funi there's no point in trying to say anything more. the fact that most on here have been going back and forth about this is a little sad. can't we just be happy its coming out?
I'm happy it's coming out, but I'm worried about the video quality.

I'm not a videophile asking for the kind of video quality I got with Fate/Zero when I paid $370 for that import, but I at least want something that's decent, not something that came out of a garbage can for an R1 release.

I know the BD's are bad (Which is a shame, I have to accept Shakugan no Shana will never look good in HD except the awful third season-this is basically the kind of video quality I wanted, not great, but not awful), but now I have to worry about the DVD's looking bad if they use the BD masters to create those. It'll be a pain to watch as the video quality on the BD's is blinding to the eyes, and the DVD would be even worse if they create those from the BD's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

This is true, but Funimation certainly had options. They could've done the Movie or second season at Ocean and screamed from the top of their lungs that fans needed to support it if they wanted that cast to continue. Instead they went silent for months before showing up with an entirely new cast.

If they were going to do the entire second series with the Ocean dub cast, it would be a bit late in the game to change after that.

As to doing the movie with the Ocean dub cast and saying it had to sell well for the cast to be used for the series, that would be workable, assuming Funimation actually received the movie from Geneon before they did they second series. Given that the series is being released first, I suspect that was not the case.

To be honest, if I was in Funimation's shoes, I would have probably made the same call. The only difference is that I might have considered going back and dubbing the first series (for continuity's sake) with the same cast if sales did well enough.
SecretJustin1130

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Primus wrote:

This is true, but Funimation certainly had options. They could've done the Movie or second season at Ocean and screamed from the top of their lungs that fans needed to support it if they wanted that cast to continue. Instead they went silent for months before showing up with an entirely new cast.

If they were going to do the entire second series with the Ocean dub cast, it would be a bit late in the game to change after that.

As to doing the movie with the Ocean dub cast and saying it had to sell well for the cast to be used for the series, that would be workable, assuming Funimation actually received the movie from Geneon before they did they second series. Given that the series is being released first, I suspect that was not the case.

To be honest, if I was in Funimation's shoes, I would have probably made the same call. The only difference is that I might have considered going back and dubbing the first series (for continuity's sake) with the same cast if sales did well enough.

Well I just back from MizuCon & they had Monica Rial there and someone had the pleasure of asking this question of why the cast change happened. From what I can tell you Monica didn't know the actual details (She made that very clear) but she told us that FUNimation & Ocean seem have an odd relationship (They don't agree with each other on certain things) but she did say FUNimation did at least try to get the original cast back.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Why couldn't they get the Ocean VAs? Are they too busy voicing My Little Pony? Bad blood after the voice switch in DBZ?

This better not happen with the Black Lagoon OVA. Nobody other than Brad Swaile can do Rock justice! Nor will any replacement ever be Revy, because Maryke Hendrikse IS Revy!
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
So Funimation and Ocean Studios have some of feud then? I wonder if that had anything to do with Ocean doing their own dub of Dragon Ball Z that has lead to that? Regardless, it is a shame that this happened but at least they did try.
danls86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Seriously??? This is exactly why I stay away from 95% of the dubs that are done these days...literally sounds like a 5 year old doing a puppet show...its that bad. This was absolutely amazing when it aired in Japanese and I feel that it would be a shame to sell this garbage.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Weaboo detected. Haven't seen one of them in a long time.

You didn't actually watch the video, did you? Don't worry, it's okay to admit that you're a biased twit.

Also, you do know that the Japanese is still on the disc, right? Oh wakt, of course you don't, that would require thinking, something you seem to be averse to.
WallNotifyer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Also, you do know that the Japanese is still on the disc, right? Oh wakt, of course you don't, that would require thinking, something you seem to be averse to.

Chagen, you should know that the moment an English track is added to a DVD/Blu-ray release, the sub track on the DVD/Blu-ray and all copies of the sub disappear as a result of the evil dub goblins. Therefore dubs should never be made ever.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
danls86 wrote:
Seriously??? This is exactly why I stay away from 95% of the dubs that are done these days...literally sounds like a 5 year old doing a puppet show...its that bad. This was absolutely amazing when it aired in Japanese and I feel that it would be a shame to sell this garbage.

I suppose you're either a troll or one of those fantards who long for the days when fansubs actually had a purpose.

This whole sub vs. dub thing should have died out right when DVDs came along. You have the option of either language track! What more do you want?

Watched the trailer, and it's incredibly jarring not hearing Paul "Happosai" Dobson as Alistor. But looking back at the Ocean dub of season 1, where the fudge did they get "Wirhelmina" from "Wilhelmina"? Who the hell decided to romanize her name that way?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Why couldn't they get the Ocean VAs? Are they too busy voicing My Little Pony? Bad blood after the voice switch in DBZ?

Lycosyncer wrote:
So Funimation and Ocean Studios have some of feud then? I wonder if that had anything to do with Ocean doing their own dub of Dragon Ball Z that has lead to that?

Yeah, there's so much bad blood between them that they managed to work together for Dragon Ball Z Kai's TV broadcast. Rolling Eyes

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/336/kainicktoonsed.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym9AuVzBNxs
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
well that's sad since most of my buddy's who like anime are just happy to get there hands. on anything anime dub or sub. i think the anime fandom. needs to just support the fact we are still geting anime in NA buy what you love ect. or maybe its just in my day anime was only on VHS and was about 75min per VHS for all most 30$ so i just don't care how it looks Rolling Eyes

See, there are these things called capital letters that are supposed to be used to begin sentences and these things called periods that are supposed to be used to end sentences, not just randomly stuck in the middle of them. Your text in your posts in this thread goes beyond just being sloppy; it's actually painfully annoying to read.

You need to make at least a reasonable effort to use proper grammar in these forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hojo 360

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
well that's sad since most of my buddy's who like anime are just happy to get there hands. on anything anime dub or sub. i think the anime fandom. needs to just support the fact we are still geting anime in NA buy what you love ect. or maybe its just in my day anime was only on VHS and was about 75min per VHS for all most 30$ so i just don't care how it looks Rolling Eyes

See, there are these things called capital letters that are supposed to be used to begin sentences and these things called periods that are supposed to be used to end sentences, not just randomly stuck in the middle of them. Your text in your posts in this thread goes beyond just being sloppy; it's actually painfully annoying to read.

You need to make at least a reasonable effort to use proper grammar in these forums.
actually painfully annoying to read jeez that hurt. that's how the mods talk to people on here? what if i told you i have a disability like that i have a thing called Asperger's and its autism spectrum disorder. can that let me pass? or are you saying that if i don't use proper grammar. that you will ban me? iv never seen forums that get mad when people don't use proper grammar but i am sorry and i will try ty.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

FUNimation have confirmed on Youtube that work on the movie actually started before season 2, so the cast director for the movie chose the main new castings.

Personally, I'm surprised that they're not releasing the movie first. What Pokémon did when they had to change the cast once 4Kids lost the show is, they aired a special episode on TV with a new cast and asked the fans for their input - and they actually went with the input (like recasting Ash, as well as other characters). Then they went back to that special and redubbed it with the finalised cast for the DVD release. I think that would have really worked in FUNimation's favour if say, they had dubbed the movie with one cast, shown it at an Expo and asked people to submit their thoughts (as obviously they can't air it on TV like The Pokémon Company International could with Pokémon).

SecretJustin1130 wrote:

Well I just back from MizuCon & they had Monica Rial there and someone had the pleasure of asking this question of why the cast change happened. From what I can tell you Monica didn't know the actual details (She made that very clear) but she told us that FUNimation & Ocean seem have an odd relationship (They don't agree with each other on certain things) but she did say FUNimation did at least try to get the original cast back.

Fair enough. They tried, it couldn't happen, so they dubbed it in-house. No complaints (especially as it sounds like I'll be able to listen to English Khamsin without wanting ripping my ears out xD).

In regards to the quality of the blu-rays. Shakugan no Shana seaons 1-2 were pre-HD era shows, so obviously they're not going to look very good in HD. Could a much better upscale have been done? Probably. In fact, I think my BD player might upscale the DVDs better than Geneon did. Considering FUNimation are really hyping the season 1 rerelease as being the first time the series is available on blu-ray, they could have done a much better job (and I hope the season 2 delay is actually so they can do their own upscale) but frankly...I'm just glad to see the show back in print. I own FUNimation's reissue of Geneon's season 1 boxset, yet I still have the season 1 BD on order (if anything, because I want to support the show and I want it to match with season 2 and later, 3, on my BD shelf). Also guys, the boxart looks smexy.

And hopefully the regained interest in the franchise will kick Viz Media into releasing more of the light novels.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:08 am Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
(and I hope the season 2 delay is actually so they can do their own upscale)

They already confirmed the reason for the delay and it's not because of the upscale.

Rojas wrote:
Some of you may have noticed that the eagerly anticipated Shakugan no Shana Season Two Part 1 & Part 2 releases have been delayed, but that’s because we’re packing the release full of EXTRAS! Including the animated specials of: Why? What? Shana! Ask Anything Question Box (aka Naze Nani Shana), and Shakugan no Shana-tan. So while there may be a bit of a wait, it’s all so we could make the release just a little more special for all of you.

They caught a lot of heat for not including these shorts when the extras were first announced so their delay for season 2 is actually for the better.

The only thing to worry about now is the OVA that came with Geneon's season 1 sets because it was confirmed by those who own FUNi's combo pack that it's not included.

http://bit.ly/P29KVa
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
(and I hope the season 2 delay is actually so they can do their own upscale)

They already confirmed the reason for the delay and it's not because of the upscale.

Rojas wrote:
Some of you may have noticed that the eagerly anticipated Shakugan no Shana Season Two Part 1 & Part 2 releases have been delayed, but that’s because we’re packing the release full of EXTRAS! Including the animated specials of: Why? What? Shana! Ask Anything Question Box (aka Naze Nani Shana), and Shakugan no Shana-tan. So while there may be a bit of a wait, it’s all so we could make the release just a little more special for all of you.

They caught a lot of heat for not including these shorts when the extras were first announced so their delay for season 2 is actually for the better.

The only thing to worry about now is the OVA that came with Geneon's season 1 sets because it was confirmed by those who own FUNi's combo pack that it's not included.

http://bit.ly/P29KVa

Hopefully there's a "public reason" and a "secret reason" xD. But yeah, I'm happy we're getting the shorts though anyway.

With the OVA, iirc, wasn't it included in the Japanese season 2 blu-ray box? So it might be in there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12