• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo Ravens (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
i will rank this one Ok to good. The first 13 or so eps were very weak. It got better later.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This was a good last episode, even if it makes me desperately want more which would probably be unlikely. Firstly lets go on my favourite character of the series, Kon, who was revealed to be much more than she appeared. We knew that it was customary for a member of the branch family to be head's familiar, and that was the secret to her the whole time. Kon's spoiler[true name is Hishamaru, and she was part of the branch family that became Yakou's familiar], and if I was reading the vibes right, she spoiler[and Yakou might have had a thing]. Which really kind of works with spoiler[Harutora and Natsume, and Kon's crush on him] the whole is no surprise. And can we all agree that Kon is made even more awesome as she spoiler[comes in different levels, her teenage form being pretty cool, but then being overshadowed by her fully unlocked powerful and hot adult form]. If there is one thing I absolutely like out of a loli, it is seeing them go bad ass adult. Ironically I can think of an image I saw of another favourite white haired loli, spoiler[Shiroyasha], but at least we got to see this one, both being from a light novel series that I don't think did fabulously too.

Other stuff happened in this episode too; you know stuff like spoiler[Harutora getting an eye wound and thus having a badass eye patch, Natsume saved, cool fights, and ambiguous actions of people trying to find each other]. Also spoiler[a kiss too].

A downside to this series, it is called Tokyo Ravens, but to be honest it has not even felt like the name was fitting until this far into the series. They never felt like they really could be a team with such a name until the end that has closure, but of course we all want to know what happens next, and I will thus be filled with an empty hole that may never be filled. The series took its time on being mediocre before really choosing to break away several episodes ago, although my complete biasness of a certain character does provide exceptions. I think that I can care more about the characters after I have gotten this far, but not from how they were initially set up.

For a rating, I think overall a Very Good, not always consistently good, but there were sprinkles of some excellent parts. CG was fine, artwork was likable, plot was wonky, some nice characters sprinkled around. And when they wanted to, they could do a very nice fight, or some rather funny comedy with the right timing.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Final episodes are always the best ^^
This one was not an exception from that.
An abundance of action and resolution of the story.
It was highly enjoyable watching them fight.
Harutora's bravery was finally truly shown.
Looks like he has really evolved from the Bakatora image.
That's the Harutora I've been wanting to see.
Really good final episode with a sweet end.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel like we are supposed to know who Hishamaru is supposed to be, along with the the one armed guy but ever since about episode 17, everything got really confusing. too many people, too many plans, people kept changing alliances, it just got confusing. perhaps re-watching it at a later date will clear things up.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
It was really quite funny. I caught part of the raw episode on TOKYO MX in my hotel in Shinagawa and I was totally confused and had no idea what was going on until I saw a big black bird helping the characters. And then I was like "OH. I BET THIS IS TOKYO RAVENS!"
Nagi No Asukara came on right after it. :]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I feel like we are supposed to know who Hishamaru is supposed to be, along with the the one armed guy but ever since about episode 17, everything got really confusing. too many people, too many plans, people kept changing alliances, it just got confusing. perhaps re-watching it at a later date will clear things up.

Apparently they were spoiler[two of Yakou's most powerful familiars]. I do wonder if their names might have been mentioned earlier on, I know that the spoiler[dragon, Hokuto], was one, but can't remember if they used the names of others. I have a feeling things were only mentioned in passing.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

You are, they were first reaveled as legendary familiars who served Yakou back in ep 4.

They are mention quite frequently throughout the series and Kakugyouki himself makes multiple appearance including warning Natsume about about the Raven Coat, helping out Harutora during the first cour. Douman was often seen with him most of time until he got beaten by Jin.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
well, seems I either wasn't paying attention , or completely forgot, or both.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-7 Thoughts (Marathoning)

An okay show from what I've seen thus far as the series introduces our leads Harutora and Natsume with their onmyouji family roots as an early arc shows them dealing with the problems brought about by Suzuka and later Harutora starting up his training at the Onmyo Academy. The Suzuka arc did well at introducing the world of the series and exploring the family roots of the Tsuchimikado family when Harutora comes to understand more of the ordeals faced by Natsume in her deals as head spiritualist of the family.

The Onmyo Academy episodes make the quality degrade a bit for me since the series slipped into more typical high school comedy antics at points with Natsume's crossdressing, some perverted misunderstandings that Harutora gets dragged into and Kon seeming to exist mostly as moe bait with her cute looking appearance. On the plus side, there are hints dropped of a new enemy faction in the wings as Harutora and several of the students get caught in a fight with a member of said faction and another spiritualist from the same group that Suzuka is in arrives on the scene of a mission that members of the Onmyo Academy get caught up in. These bits of plot development are enough to keep me engaged to the series, in spite of the low points that came up from the high school comedy antics that this point of the series brought up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11