• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violet Park

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This situation is even more facepalm inducing because it wasn't necessary. They could have focused on the new cast entirely with the old gang showing up occasionally when the girls stop by the village. And why the butterfly "curse" is the most useful power-up ever? Inuyasha would have killed for it to fix his New Moon's weakness.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Tbh, they could've simply used Setsuna's training as a demon slayer as a way to explain why she still could fight even without demonic powers. No need to make that butterfly "curse" even more of a blessing. We should be rooting for her to get her dreams and childhood memories back, and not thinking "well, it's a good trade-off, all things considered".

Naraku was an idiot, he didn't need to go through all those troubles to try to get rid of his one weakness. He just needed one deus ex machina butterfly. Laughing
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Given Hero Academia's new upcoming season will be taking over Yashahime's Japanese timeslot in late March 2021, I wonder if this means Yashahime's story will be wrapping up in March; or if the showrunners will just end the current run as Season 1 with a promise of more to come in future periods.

Violet Park wrote:
This situation is even more facepalm inducing because it wasn't necessary. They could have focused on the new cast entirely with the old gang showing up occasionally when the girls stop by the village.

I guess the writers felt "The Mystery of the Missing Old Gang" would make for a more compelling overarching storyline. That is, once the writers decide they want to resume that plotline again after the recent "demon of the week" detouring.

Not that this has affected viewership rating in Japan, anyway. 4th most watched behind the powerhouses of Sazae-san, Detective Conan and Chibi Maruko-chan.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
So many questions with this episode:
Why did Towa's hair grow long when it changed black and then "grow" short when it changed back to white?
Why did Moroha just slash with her sword and never use the "energy" attack it has?
Why did Towa slice off Nikosen's arm and then sheath her sword just to draw it again a moment later?
Why make a barrier you're using to hide you with the sutras(?) on the outside, revealing your position?
Why didn't Towa know about the new moon thing considering she spent her first few years here and clearly would have gone through it dozens of times and then been aware that she wasn't suffering from the new moon after arriving in the present?
These little things usually aren't a big deal, but they sure are piling up
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don’t need this show to be gory, it airs in the early evening and has captions for the characters every week, it’s obviously for parents watching with kids. I would like better writing and more humor. *sigh* Why did they go out of their way to introduce a weakness and apply it to only one of the girls?
Uchay wrote:
Tbh, they could've simply used Setsuna's training as a demon slayer as a way to explain why she still could fight even without demonic powers. No need to make that butterfly "curse" even more of a blessing. We should be rooting for her to get her dreams and childhood memories back, and not thinking "well, it's a good trade-off, all things considered".

Naraku was an idiot, he didn't need to go through all those troubles to try to get rid of his one weakness. He just needed one deus ex machina butterfly. Laughing
p
I was thinking this, too! And I really wanted the humans to be useful this time. In the original Inuyasha, Sango kicked ass despite being completely human. In Yashahime, the Demon Slayers are just set dressing.

Theory: Sesshomaru used the demon butterfly on Setsuna to protect her, because he’s stuck guarding his baby momma in a tree. He would’ve used it on Towa, too, but she’d already been pulled to the modern age.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:35 pm Reply with quote
When I see these kind of episodes that are, at least, funcional to a mechanical level I wonder... if this was not originally a 12 episode anime wrote by somebody who at least knows basic history telling and then it was decided it was 24 and then they got a hack writer to "Add Water" to it to make said 24.

Well, at least Setsuna's "Curse" didn't also give her complete control over her demonic transformation this time.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Based on what I've seen online, some fans really wanted to go all-in on the defense that Yashahime is doing its own thing, that our focus should be on the story of the girls themselves, and that all of the references to the original cast are fun extras for fans to appreciate as fanservice.

That would be great, if Moroha was raised by Kagome and not some hermit in the woods. If they wanted us to appreciate the girls by themselves, then they should not have had these unexplained mysteries about Moroha's parents, and Moroha's disturbing behavior in regards to her parents. It is hard to appreciate Moroha as a character, if she is acting so unrealistic. Then again, everyone in the cast is acting like Kagome is nothing anyway.....
Kicksville

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:15 am Reply with quote
I suppose I'll chime in for a hot minute to say I'm one of those people who likes this show. I just really like the group dynamic between the core cast. They're fun to watch. I think under other circumstances I might be as impatient with it as people here seem to be, but I'm honestly just having a good time watching the gals go on goofy adventures every week.

Anyway I guess all I have to contribute here is

Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sango is seen praying at a memorial shrine in her brief appearances this week – did Miroku's actions lead to the death of one of Hisui's siblings, or something like that? It's so frustrating when Yashahime demonstrates the capacity to tell actual stories about both its past and present protagonists, but settles on dishing up the absolute bare-minimum of character and plot development instead.

This!!! The whole episode I’m asking “Who’s grave is that? What happened to Kin’u (Miroku & Sango’s other twin daughter)?” On the one hand, if Kin’u was killed, it would explain Miroku’s separatist training regimen, Hisui’s attitude, and the grave, OTOH, Gyokuto (the other twin) was giggling and claiming that the rift between her father and brother was a misunderstanding. And of course the show doesn’t clarify anything. Grrr!!!
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
It kinda feels that whoever wrote this series is better at writing comedy than drama considering how downplayed was Miroku's regards by his son or whatever the heck happened to the others.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Boy wow, after that last episode I definitely have to apologize to the reviewer for framing him to be childishly impatient.
It really is absolutely [expletive] ridiculous how inorganically opaque the story is being with its backstory.
They have one of the main characters of Inuyasha right in front of them, and he clearly has a mostly intact memory, but we get next to nothing from him.
Sure, you could infer that one of Miroku and Sango’s twin girls tragically died in a demon attack and that’s why Miroku seeks more power and is estranged to his son, but a mere hint isn’t gonna pack the emotional impact of actually showing it.
No, it’s just more bait to get you to watch more episodes, and that’s part of why I still think this will eventually run up at least 100 episodes.
If they’re still gonna string this one part of the mystery along after 13 episodes, how long will it take to unravel the mystery as a whole?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Roadwarior2 wrote:
Boy wow, after that last episode I definitely have to apologize to the reviewer for framing him to be childishly impatient.
It really is absolutely [expletive] ridiculous how inorganically opaque the story is being with its backstory.
They have one of the main characters of Inuyasha right in front of them, and he clearly has a mostly intact memory, but we get next to nothing from him.
Sure, you could infer that one of Miroku and Sango’s twin girls tragically died in a demon attack and that’s why Miroku seeks more power and is estranged to his son, but a mere hint isn’t gonna pack the emotional impact of actually showing it.
No, it’s just more bait to get you to watch more episodes, and that’s part of why I still think this will eventually run up at least 100 episodes.
If they’re still gonna string this one part of the mystery along after 13 episodes, how long will it take to unravel the mystery as a whole?

It would be nice to know how long this is supposed to be. It sure is acting like it is meant to run indefinitely from the pacing, but I could pretty easily see the audience getting frustrated and checking out.

The idea that the original cast would seemingly abandon their children runs so contrary to expectation that it needs to be explained. Sesshomaru is the only one that I might expect that from, but the rest, not so much. I could tolerate the tidbits that we were getting since it seemed like we were getting pieces of the puzzle, but having Miroku actually there and not be much farther than we were makes me wonder if there is a plan or if this thing is being written as they go. The first episode had Miroku lamenting that he was weak without his wind tunnel (though the number of times he was sidelined by the presence of poison insects should have made that obvious), so combine that with some family tragedy and you've got a plausible explanation. But no, we're still left with our imagination and assumptions to fill in gaps.
Uchay

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Rolf I swear you could swap Miroku and Sango for random characters and it would change almost nothing. Maybe change Hisui for another demon slayer with monk daddy issues too, and the episode would be literally the same.

I get it, I'm supposed to accept this as groundwork for future episodes, but I just don't have faith in this show's writing anymore.

Sometimes I wonder, what if this anime wasn't tied at all to the original Inuyasha and was its own thing? The only reason we care about the mystery of the missing parents or at least 2/3 of the girls is because we *already know* those characters very well, we care about their children, but what if we didn't? I know I would have have dropped this show by now. Not even Moroha's delightful antics can keep me engaged when the show does everything in its power to keep her sidelined. I thought she was supposed to be one of the protagonists!

Also, talking about Moroha, gotta love that they decided to keep her out of the action this week when they meet Miroku, because he'd have to react to her in there and utter her parent's names, but Yashahime can't have that. Laughing
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't think one of Mirokús children is dead.

He looked OK, Sango looked OK, so did the daughter and the boy was just barely mad at him and forgave him almost instantly, besides, the daughter also said it was just a misunderstanding, not something dramatic like a dead.

Simple put, if one of the siblings indeed died then they got over it extremely well.

-Sigh- This show would be so much better with the same characters and dynamics if only the girls were in the present looking for a McGuffin to go back.

It's even easier to write since you need to worry about nothing besides action and some random plan from a main villain and you wouldn't have to deal with stupid crap to hide what happened to the previous cast in the worst attempt I have seen in a medium to create artificial mystery.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I don't think one of Mirokús children is dead.

He looked OK, Sango looked OK, so did the daughter and the boy was just barely mad at him and forgave him almost instantly, besides, the daughter also said it was just a misunderstanding, not something dramatic like a dead.

Simple put, if one of the siblings indeed died then they got over it extremely well.

-Sigh- This show would be so much better with the same characters and dynamics if only the girls were in the present looking for a McGuffin to go back.

It's even easier to write since you need to worry about nothing besides action and some random plan from a main villain and you wouldn't have to deal with stupid crap to hide what happened to the previous cast in the worst attempt I have seen in a medium to create artificial mystery.

I do agree that there is a good chance she is alive, especially since that would be a relatively drastic and kind of dark turn for something related to Inuyasha to take. The approach that they've taken with the original crew has been so vague that it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a definitive answer yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 29