• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have any experience buying figures from ebay? I found something rare, but the seller location is Taiwan. Is it going to be a bootleg? They have 100% postive feedback but I just want to make sure before I put down money
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
So... I take it you have all the Yoshinaga? Not just Ooku? Not that I'm not glad you're up to date on Ooku, just want to make sure you have all the Yoshinaga. Because I can't honestly name a single work of hers that I do not like, only ones that I like more. Flower of Life is my personal favorite, worth it to track down vol 4, but even if you can only get the first 3 vols do it!

I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't really thought about whether there was anything more of her work available in English besides Ōoku: The Inner Chambers and What Did You Eat Today?, which is exactly the kind of oversight that this process is meant to correct. While you sometimes seem to me to be from some strange, alien planet as far taste in anime is concerned, we're somehow closer on manga, so I'll take that under advisement.

classicalzawa wrote:
...I wanted to cry tears of joy when I went to Vertical's Otakon panel and they announced What Did You Eat Yesterday?

Next year I'll be sure to bring a handkerchief with me so you can let is all flow out.

classicalzawa wrote:
But if you don't have all the Yoshinaga, add it to your list, I don't even care if you don't care about yaoi, I don't either. The yaoi portion is not at all why Gerard & Jacques is amazing.

Actually, I've been meaning on-and-off to explore yaoi a little. I'm not interested in it for... uh... 'those' reasons, but I have a sort of 'anthropological' curiosity and like to meet a certain quota for getting outside of my comfort zone. I imagine that the creator of an intricate alternate history tale has done considerably better than the rapetacular trash that gives the genre a bad name.

classicalzawa wrote:
Not sure what errors there are on Heart of Thomas, I do recall having seen some minor typos, but it's not enough to detract from the overall enjoyment of it.

Matt Thorn noted them in a review on Amazon and elaborated on his weblog. In retrospect, I thought that there were more than he lists. Well, regardless, I really should get around to that one, sooner rather than later.

One-Eye wrote:
I had tried to get the old box set [of Welcome to the NHK] for a long time, but one of the volumes is just impossible to find, so I finally broke and picked up the SAVE edition.

I can be sort of a die-hard about this sort of thing and it's a way to cunningly impose additional limits on my purchasing. I might break eventually.

One-Eye wrote:
I would probably wait on a rescue. I've seen used copies of the remastered version going for around $150 and higher, which is out of my comfort zone. I never picked it up since it seemed like I had time and then when the films were announced I thought I would wait because "surely the films would be an improvement on the tv series both in story and visual quality". Whoops, that didn't happen and the inventory for the series dried up fast. I just hope the movies being newer don't prevent the "older" show from being released again sometime.

Holy crap! I did not realize that Berserk had gotten so scarce. That might qualify it to be moved to a 'probationary' listing. I guess I had assumed that it would just always 'be around'. Well, I guess I should know better by now when dealing with Media Blasters titles.

Hoping that the series has enough cachet left to merit a license-rescue seems to be all that's reasonable at this point. At least I'd already seen it once, although quite a few years ago.

One-Eye wrote:
Quote:
Dorohedoro! YES! YES! YES!
I'll second an enthusiastic YES! for Dorohedoro. It does occasionally get sidetracked with its forays into humor, but its still a load of twisted fun.

Woah, so, it's be like... five people buying it then! Very excellent! I've seldom gone as crazy as quickly for a series as I did for Dorohedoro. I just pounds on so many of my happy buttons. It's become one of those things that I stump for insufferably.

Incidently, you should all go out and buy The Time Stranger, Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Michiko e Hatchin and Birdy the Mighty: Decode. If you're really brave (and reasonably well capitalized) go get Twin Spica too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Holy crap! I did not realize that Berserk had gotten so scarce. That might qualify it to be moved to a 'probationary' listing. I guess I had assumed that it would just always 'be around'. Well, I guess I should know better by now when dealing with Media Blasters titles.

Hoping that the series has enough cachet left to merit a license-rescue seems to be all that's reasonable at this point. At least I'd already seen it once, although quite a few years ago.
If you act now could get if for the not completely exorbitant amount of $4,262.13 and that's not including shipping. 'cause you know fuel prices and all, means we gots to charge shipping for this amount. If that's too sky high you can pick it up at the low, low price of $150 even. Shipping ain't free on that one either.

Actually I've seen the older non-remastered versions, in the artbox with all volumes, used going for as low as $40-50 on ebay. I think price wise that's still within the realm of reason, but personally I would prefer the remastered version. I'm not sure if that would affect your "probationary listing".

Quote:
Incidently, you should all go out and buy The Time Stranger, Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Michiko e Hatchin and Birdy the Mighty: Decode. If you're really brave (and reasonably well capitalized) go get Twin Spica too!
Already own Birdy and also own the older OVA series from the 90s. I have the first part of Michiko to Hatchin and waiting for the second part to drop in price before picking it up. I've been meaning to see Fujiko Mine to determine if its been worth the investment, but I've been so busy lately that I'm barely keeping up with 2-3 shows this season and haven't hit my backlog in several months. I was kind of interested in Twin Spica, but so much manga and so little time. Just saying no to figures and moderating my manga purchases is how I keep my spending in line. I already own plenty of books and I'm afraid if I let the manga habit take hold too deeply someone would open the door to my place one day and find me buried under an avalanche of books and manga.

Last edited by One-Eye on Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

One-Eye wrote:
I had tried to get the old box set [of Welcome to the NHK] for a long time, but one of the volumes is just impossible to find, so I finally broke and picked up the SAVE edition.

I can be sort of a die-hard about this sort of thing and it's a way to cunningly impose additional limits on my purchasing. I might break eventually.

Vol 6 of NHK is virtually non-existent. Funimation released very few copies of it when they got the license from ADV. For those who just have to have the artbox, vol 1-5 should be easy to get, and then you can stick the SAVE edition in place of vol 6! Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Actually, I've been meaning on-and-off to explore yaoi a little. I'm not interested in it for... uh... 'those' reasons, but I have a sort of 'anthropological' curiosity and like to meet a certain quota for getting outside of my comfort zone. I imagine that the creator of an intricate alternate history tale has done considerably better than the rapetacular trash that gives the genre a bad name.

I still don't quite get the appeal of yaoi myself, maybe because I know way too many real life gay couples that just having a gay couple really isn't all the exciting to me, and I don't think most of the yaoi I've read really have enough breather space to make me appreciate the romance before it jumps into the sex either. Like, when I was reading total bromance Banana Fish, only after 19 volumes of seeing a slow and subtle romance build up was I like "I'd totally read a doujin of this", and that would only be because all the build up has occurred. But Yoshinaga yaoi is different, probably because they just don't tend to have as much sex. Usually it's like, once a volume at most (I recall more in Ichigenme though). Because that's not what makes her yaoi sexy, they most definitely are, but it's the characters interacting that really does it. I feel like sex isn't the goal with her series, and it's not what I come away remembering either.

But I keep renting things from the library myself to go outside my comfort zone as well. The Man of Tango was pretty good, but not Yoshinaga goodness to me. I think it would've been better without as much sex, because Yoshinaga has totally ruined me on that front.

But if Ooku is what you're familiar with, I'm curious if you know how well she does comedy. Actually, she can switch between comedy and drama at the drop of a hat and it's amazing how well she makes it feel natural and never jarring. I don't want you to get into her other works, expecting pure drama, only to get blindsided by how awesome a comedian she is. And some of her trope subversions are nothing short of brilliant, I still have to laugh at the one in Flower of Life every time, and when I first encountered it, I had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard. The one for Gerard & Jacques is good too, though coming towards the end, could be viewed as a cop out, but since it goes against expected tropes, it's genuinely brilliant if you ask me. I'd just love for Yoshinaga to come to Otakon one year, I'd wait in line for that! Probably get Flower of Life 4 signed (favorite series and to increase that particular volume's already high value, hehe)
But yeah, Yoshinaga yaoi is the way to go! Oh and you should get the Antique Bakery anime too, I've watched through ep 4 myself, and I don't know why I waited. Because I already had the manga? Bah! It's just falling in love with the same Yoshinaga goodness all over again!
wormraper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
am considering buying the Fushigi Yugi Ova sets....got the original releases for the series and Eikodien, but not the 2 disc set with the first 2 ovas. I know the packaging for the series re-releases by AW was pure CRAAAAAAAAAAAP with tons of people receiving broken boxes with scratched up dvds, but how is the packaging for the ova sets? any issues with those? (less discs usually means standard dvd cases but you never know)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
@wormraper
The Fushigi Yugi OVA has all 9 episodes on two disks. The disks are on opposite sides of a standard size case. Mine arrived with no damage. I should point out however, that the TV series and Eikodien also arrived in good condition. Your mileage may vary.
wormraper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@wormraper
The Fushigi Yugi OVA has all 9 episodes on two disks. The disks are on opposite sides of a standard size case. Mine arrived with no damage. I should point out however, that the TV series and Eikodien also arrived in good condition. Your mileage may vary.

kewl, so nothing horribly chincy. there's a "very good condition" copy from Amazon warehouse that I was looking at for $13... just pulled the trigger and hope for the best
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote
I don't really have time at the moment to respond to all of the thoughtful recommendations sent my way, so I just wanted to throw out a general thanks to everyone who has responded! And maybe I'll get to them at some point later when I'm not as busy.

Also, I just want to mention, f*** Eikoden. I wouldn't ever keep that OVA even for completion's sake. The other OVAs are fine (and the short comedy segments are great), but Eikoden is absolute SHIIIIIIIIIT.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I do beg everbody’s pardon for almost monopolizing the thread for a while, but I like giving every reply its due. The effort entailed isn’t the reason that I don’t do this too often.

One-Eye wrote:
If you act now could get if for the not completely exorbitant amount of $4,262.13 and that's not including shipping. 'cause you know fuel prices and all, means we gots to charge shipping for this amount. If that's too sky high you can pick it up at the low, low price of $150 even. Shipping ain't free on that one either.

Actually I've seen the older non-remastered versions, in the artbox with all volumes, used going for as low as $40-50 on ebay. I think price wise that's still within the realm of reason, but personally I would prefer the remastered version. I'm not sure if that would affect your "probationary listing".

You took too long, now your anime’s gone. That’s what happened. Ba-Kow!

What? At less than an hour to go as of this writing and more than a quarter million dollars past the original goal, I’m too ecstatic not to jam references in.

But yikes! Those prices! Given the well-known… uh... 'visual austerity' of the Berserk television series, I’m not sure how valuable a video remastering would be. On the other hand, it’s essentially something that I want, but don’t consider ‘essential’, so I can probably just wait out for either a new opportunity or a change in attitude.

One-Eye wrote:
Already own Birdy and also own the older OVA series from the 90s. I have the first part of Michiko to Hatchin and waiting for the second part to drop in price before picking it up. I've been meaning to see Fujiko Mine to determine if its been worth the investment, but I've been so busy lately that I'm barely keeping up with 2-3 shows this season and haven't hit my backlog in several months. I was kind of interested in Twin Spica, but so much manga and so little time. Just saying no to figures and moderating my manga purchases is how I keep my spending in line. I already own plenty of books and I'm afraid if I let the manga habit take hold too deeply someone would open the door to my place one day and find me buried under an avalanche of books and manga.

Twin Spica is fantastic, but it went out of print last year, so some volumes are a pain to find. That whole list was a sort of self-parody of my habit of going all Billy Mays for some titles. Still, if you’re ever presented the opportunity to buy it, Twin Spica is well worth it. It’s one of the most emotionally effective and endearing things that I’ve ever read. There’s a reason that I never corrected the methodological error that put it at priority score of 6.

Lupin III ~The Woman Called Fujiko Mine~ is a really interesting and cool show. If you like Michiko e Hatchin, or even if you just don’t hate it, I say you should gie the director’s other work a try.

jmfsilenthill wrote:
Vol 6 of NHK is virtually non-existent. Funimation released very few copies of it when they got the license from ADV. For those who just have to have the artbox, vol 1-5 should be easy to get, and then you can stick the SAVE edition in place of vol 6! Smile

That there’s just one really hopeless volume is why I never quite gave the game up on that. Your solution is an interesting one. I might consider that.

classicalzawa wrote:
Yoshinaga yaoi is different, probably because they just don't tend to have as much sex. Usually it's like, once a volume at most (I recall more in Ichigenme though). Because that's not what makes her yaoi sexy, they most definitely are, but it's the characters interacting that really does it. I feel like sex isn't the goal with her series, and it's not what I come away remembering either.

I’m much more of a yuri fan (how typical), which is why I’m interested in branching out. I’m not ‘equipped’ to enjoy any of the sex, but I could see if as narratively valuable in the context of the narrative. That, of course, then requires that it be preceded, usually, by significantly more than a breathless race to under the bedsheets.

classicalzawa wrote:
I think it would've been better without as much sex, because Yoshinaga has totally ruined me on that front.

You know, it’s really sort of refreshing to see somebody express an attitude like that. Yeesh, I’ve spent too much time reading about people slavering over the prospect of an uncensored version of Lameguy and His Inexplicably Devoted Titty McBoob.

classicalzawa wrote:
But if Ooku is what you're familiar with, I'm curious if you know how well she does comedy. Actually, she can switch between comedy and drama at the drop of a hat and it's amazing how well she makes it feel natural and never jarring. I don't want you to get into her other works, expecting pure drama, only to get blindsided by how awesome a comedian she is. And some of her trope subversions are nothing short of brilliant, I still have to laugh at the one in Flower of Life every time, and when I first encountered it, I had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard. …

I wouldn’t have expected, from Ōoku, that she would write more than incidental comedy. Mercy knows that sometimes as I’m reading it I yearn for somebody to throw a pie. The contrast might prove interesting. Manga seldom gets me to laugh, even when giving a good honest try, so I’ll be curious to see if Fumi Yoshinaga is up to the challenge.

classicalzawa wrote:
But yeah, Yoshinaga yaoi is the way to go! Oh and you should get the Antique Bakery anime too, I've watched through ep 4 myself, and I don't know why I waited. Because I already had the manga? Bah! It's just falling in love with the same Yoshinaga goodness all over again!

You’re certainly a passionate advocate. I concede that it’s infectious. I’ll certainly look into her other manga, although I’m a touch more reticent about the anime. If nothing else, I already have a big list of titles already, to say nothing of my pile of things I’ve yet to watch. Perhaps my mind will change after getting more exposure to her work.

willag wrote:
I don't really have time at the moment to respond to all of the thoughtful recommendations sent my way, so I just wanted to throw out a general thanks to everyone who has responded! And maybe I'll get to them at some point later when I'm not as busy.

What, you’re not going to put down whatever important personal or professional business you’re working on to meticulously comment upon the efforts of strangers and crazy people whom you can’t even be strictly sure really exist and are not in fact clones of Hitler created by an underground movement bent on creating a Fourth Reich to influence your opinions and how you spend your money?

You’re weird.

It's a trick question anyway. I'm actually a clone of Josef Stalin. The Fourth Reich stuff is still true, though. I think they're confused.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote
@SurrenderArtist

I mostly got the Antique Bakery anime because TRSI announced the litebox, which means the chipboard edition will go OOP at some point, and I'll be damned if I don't have a booklet with a Fumi Yoshinaga interview! The anime is a little bizarre though, in that the backgrounds are all these semi-gaudy CGI. It's not quite like watching an early episode of Reboot (which I adore), but it's really weird when you see a 2D cat yawn, only to immediately cut away and see a 3D cat in its place. WTF? But I do appreciate how so many scenes look like they were ripped right from the manga, and it gets her art style down well too. It's not essential if you have the manga, unless you are me and need all the Yoshinaga, in which case, why the eff did I wait so long to get it again? I dunno. It's her only anime series, Nozomi often puts it up on youtube if you're curious.
Antique Bakery will make you want sweets sooooo bad, if anyone has a food fetish, Yoshinaga is clearly a foodie. Do you really need sex in a manga that practically describes cakes as taste bud intercourse? Interestingly enough, Yoshinaga made her own doujinshi for one of her own manga. I think that Antique Bakery doujin is the only unlicensed work of hers, but I'd totally buy it. Probably also why Antique Bakery proper doesn't need sex, she made a doujin to fulfill that.

But yes, I am quite passionate about Fumi Yoshinaga. There are only two authors whose every work I will buy, no questions asked: her, and Osamu Tezuka.

Her shorts are pretty awesome too, they're pretty well all yaoi, but.... she's just a good story teller, there's no way around it. For me, reading Ooku was like "wow, not a pie in sight to be thrown", for me, that's the anomaly. A good anomaly. She has other serious stories too, but there's usually a couple pies in there somewhere, cleverly put in. But some of the humor comes from her characters interacting and being so damn well written. I think Flower of Life is probably the funniest though, but I've never found her humor to be put in out of place, either, she's just really really good.
wormraper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@wormraper

well, mine arrived with both discs off the chintzy spindles and were scuffed from here to blazes and back. luckily they were all just scuffing scratches, all on the surface so I had a buddy at my local used music and movies store in town use one of the buffing machines on them and they look and work as good as new.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
Did someone mention Gunbuster? Fantastic OVAs. The original is my #1 favorite. I'm obsessed to the point of buying every release out there. Double and triple dipped for both of them.

On the same note I've been thinking about buying a bunch of Gainax series on Blu-ray. Abenobashi and FLCL are what I'm currently eying. Not too expensive either.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote
Abenobashi is a lot of fun, it's easily my favorite pure anime parody series. Well there's like 3 plot episodes, and not a single pie to be seen in episode 7, but how can you possibly forget Hollywood episode? Oh and the ending rather sucks, but that's not what you come away remembering anyway, you remember them parodying Gurren Lagann before it even existed and Hollywood and so on.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote
Ah, my love for Gunbuster... In my book, it's the perfect show of its type. I even like the movie — though I'm not sure why one would ever watch it when one has the OVA to hand.

I have to say that, as a GAINAX admirer, Abenobashi is one show I've never felt the need to own. Some of it is very funny, and the attempt to marry parody and poignancy is nice (even if its success may be debatable!). But I personally find so much in the art that is so ugly. That D&D episode. I know the artwork is parodic, but... those garish colours... those nasty, cheap designs...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 106 of 132