• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Christopher Handley Sentenced to 6 Months for 'Obscene' Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otto117

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Cait wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's directly related to the Judge's decision to not allow Handley to be charged for any books in his collection, as possession alone was deemed a violation of his First Amendment rights.

I'm surprised to discover that possession alone is not sufficient. Would this entail that, at least in the United States, somebody who merely downloads scans of material similar to this cannot be charged?

(If so, the relevant acts are more lenient than our legislation.)

Possession of obscene materials in the home is legal in the United States by application of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, not the First Amendment.

In order to charge someone who is in possession of cartoons, it would be necessary for the government to have concrete evidence (not just inference) that the person received the items in interstate commerce (the mail, Fedex, courier, internet, etc) within the past 5 years, which is the statute of limitations for the crime of interstate transportation.

Here is how the issue of possession was framed in the case of Stanley v. Georgia (1969), which is still good law. Justice Marshall wrote:

Quote:
[The appellant] is asserting the right to read or observe what he pleases - the right to satisfy his intellectual and emotional needs in the privacy of his own home. He is asserting the right to be free from state inquiry into the contents of his library. Georgia contends that appellant does not have these rights, that there are certain types of materials that the individual may not read or even possess. Georgia justifies this assertion by arguing that the films in the present case are obscene. But we think that mere categorization of these films as "obscene" is insufficient justification for such a drastic invasion of personal liberties guaranteed by the First and Fourteenth Amendments. Whatever may be the justifications for other statutes regulating obscenity, we do not think they reach into the privacy of one's own home. If the First Amendment means anything, it means that a State has no business telling a man, sitting alone in his own house, what books he may read or what films he may watch. Our whole constitutional heritage rebels at the thought of giving government the power to control men's minds.

However, in 1973, the Supreme Court issued a series of decisions (along with Miller v. California) which had the effect of whittling down Justice Marshall's bold and inspiring idea. In US v. 12 200-Foot Reels of Super 8mm Film, 413 U.S. 123, 126 (1973), the court clarified that "[t]he limited right to possess obscene materials in the privacy of one’s own home recognized in Stanley depended not on First Amendment grounds, but on the right to privacy in the home found in the Fourth Amendment." Thus, the Court held,

Quote:
[w]e are not disposed to extend the precise, carefully limited holding of Stanley to permit importation of admittedly obscene materials simply because it is imported for private use only. To allow such a claim would be not unlike compelling the Government to permit importation of prohibited or controlled drugs for private consumption as long as such drugs are not for public distribution or sale. We have already indicated that the protected right to possess obscene material in the privacy of one’s home does not give rise to a correlative right to have someone sell or give it to others. Nor is there any correlative right to transport obscene material in interstate commerce.

The same reasoning was applied in United States v. Orito, 413 U.S. 139, 141 (1973), where the defendant moved from San Francisco to Milwaukee, bringing "obscene" films and magazines in his luggage for his own personal use.

Don't try to make sense of these decisions. They have no sense. But they keep getting affirmed.
otto117

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
I've read that they actually kept 80 of the volumes that he had, and that those 7 are just representative of those 7....so yea, they probably kept the LO stuff too.

As a condition to accepting the plea, the government required him to give up all his lolicon.
otto117

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
The only overturn now would be finding a technicality so their statement is rather like the postings here.

There is no overturn. Under the terms of the plea, there is no right of appeal on any grounds.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
otto117 wrote:

With all due respect, your reasoning is quite flawed.

1. The Handley conviction does not serve as a precedent because it is a plea. However, the court already ruled on the law in 2008 (in Handley's case on a constitutional challenge to the law).

2. There is no distinction in the law between the mail or the internet. Both are instrumentalities of interstate commerce. So whether you download your manga or get it by mail or carry it with you in your briefcase from Japan, the law is exactly the same.

3. Whorley was convicted on charges of downloading cartoons (from Fractal Underground Studio). He was ALSO SEPARATELY convicted under SEPARATE charges for downloading images of nude minors. The 4th Circuit already upheld the separate conviction for cartoons.

There is nothing to wait for. You have an answer.

With all due respect, your responses were quite unnecessarily curt. If you want to correct someone, that's fine, but I'd recommend a less brusque tone in the future.

1. I wasn't talking about the plea, I was talking about the charges the judge struck down before that over the rest of the manga in his collection.

2. If the law was "exactly the same" he would have been charged for the manga on his computer as well, wouldn't he? Or is that also because they could not "prove" he actually downloaded them? As far as I can recall, he was only charged for the manga he received in that package from Japan, even though a bunch of other titles they probably could not prove he received through the mail were also retained, along with one or more of his computers.

3. I suppose my question here would be, how did they "prove," then, that he downloaded the images? They could have been given to him on a CD by someone else in the same community or something. Did they have records of his internet activities? I'd believed the loli stuff that Whorley was convicted of possession was independent of the idea that he had a "right" to possess the items unless they could prove he received them in interstate commerse.

The thing, however, that I would admit to apparently being wrong about is that the concerned law was based on Fourth Amendment rights and not First Amendment ones, but as far as I've read from ANN articles up to this point, they kept referring to it as an issue of "free speech," the inference being "First Amendment." But if that's wrong, it's wrong.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:40 am Reply with quote
On another note, the computers and privacy section for the 4th amendment wiki has some interesting info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#Reasonable_expectation_of_privacy

Basically, from how I read it, the stuff that was on his computer wouldn't be able to be used as evidence against him if that was the only evidence they could get, since they wouldn't have been able to get a proper warrant if he never bought anything to begin with.

In other words he would've been perfectly fine if he didn't buy the products...which is rather ridiculous and flies in the face of other laws. It's one of those damned if you do damned if you don't situations....
Hayami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
otto117 wrote:

(...)

3. Whorley was convicted on charges of downloading cartoons (from Fractal Underground Studio). He was ALSO SEPARATELY convicted under SEPARATE charges for downloading images of nude minors. The 4th Circuit already upheld the separate conviction for cartoons.

(...)

3. I suppose my question here would be, how did they "prove," then, that he downloaded the images? They could have been given to him on a CD by someone else in the same community or something. Did they have records of his internet activities? I'd believed the loli stuff that Whorley was convicted of possession was independent of the idea that he had a "right" to possess the items unless they could prove he received them in interstate commerse.

Here you go:

Quote:
Whorley used a public computer at a Virginia Employment Commission (“VEC”) office
in Richmond on March 30, 2004, to receive obscene Japanese anime cartoons that graphically
depicted (...)

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/ceos/Press%20Releases/EDVA%20Whorley%20Verdict%20PR_120105.pdf
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
Every year it seems we move closer to 1984. (I've not read the book but...)
You know most Americans won't pity this guy. They don't care as long as they have a job and can criticize the GVRT. As for the 4th, we're screwed. The conservitives hate it more than the first. I think. I know Thomas doesn't believe in privacy.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
kefkaownsall wrote:
Every year it seems we move closer to 1984. (I've not read the book but...)

This is fairly obvious given your comment.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
1984? Never heard of it. This discussion reminds me more of the movie "Equilibrium". Which reminds me, I have that set to record Today on the PVR.
Cait

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hayami wrote:

Here you go:

Quote:
Whorley used a public computer at a Virginia Employment Commission (“VEC”) office
in Richmond on March 30, 2004, to receive obscene Japanese anime cartoons that graphically
depicted (...)

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/ceos/Press%20Releases/EDVA%20Whorley%20Verdict%20PR_120105.pdf

Ah, thank you for the clarification.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
I'm definitely erring on the side of Handley. Does anyone know of any charities or activist groups of good repute that I can support to combat this unique breed of thought crime?
Hayami

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I'm definitely erring on the side of Handley. Does anyone know of any charities or activist groups of good repute that I can support to combat this unique breed of thought crime?
www.cbldf.org

Quote:
CR contacted Charles Brownstein, Executive Director of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, for comment. "Today's news of Christopher Handley's sentencing is a heartbreaking conclusion to a case that should never have occurred in the first place. Documents now in the public record show that Christopher is a devoted citizen, who did his best to serve his family and country. He is not and has never been a threat to society. The only victim in this case is Handley himself, who has been found guilty of a kind of thought crime. It's a sad day when an American is put in prison because of his taste in art and fiction. It is our fervent hope that no one else should suffer that same fate. Our prayers are with Christopher and his family in the trying months ahead."
http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/ann_christopher_handley_sentenced_to_six_months_jail_followed_by_supervised/

CBLDF couldn't help Handley anymore after he pleaded guilty, but I'm sure they'll do their best to help others in similar cases in the future.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
otto117 wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:
I've read that they actually kept 80 of the volumes that he had, and that those 7 are just representative of those 7....so yea, they probably kept the LO stuff too.
As a condition to accepting the plea, the government required him to give up all his lolicon.
And whenever I hear that I have to wonder where and who has possession of those books now. Lord knows I've heard of many stories of DEA agents keeping samples of seizures for personal use. Hell, I was on a jury and the defense lawyer brought up a recent case of Boston officers being caught down Florida with drugs. Though I thought it was a cheap move and really unrelated to the case, it is always good to remember. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? indeed.
Hayami wrote:
Quote:
in Richmond on March 30, 2004, to receive obscene Japanese anime cartoons that graphically depicted (...)
Wow. What a stupid piece of garbage. Of course, I got no sympathy for that guy since his case had him possessing photos of actual children being abused. The f---er deserves to be locked up. Well, not that I don't hope for some rehabilitation someday, as for any criminal, but they should throw the book at him. I just argue that tossing cartoons in with actual photos of actual children is wrong and not even needed.
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
1984? Never heard of it. This discussion reminds me more of the movie "Equilibrium". Which reminds me, I have that set to record Today on the PVR.
Shocked Please tell me you're trolling and are not serious. Really? Equilibrium, while enjoyable, totally owes everything to classic books like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World. Such great films, well, pretty good films, only exist because they stand on the backs of giant like those classics. Though I myself do confess I've yet to read the copy of Brave New World I own.
kefkaownsall wrote:
Every year it seems we move closer to 1984. (I've not read the book but...) You know most Americans won't pity this guy. They don't care as long as they have a job and can criticize the GVRT. As for the 4th, we're screwed. The conservitives hate it more than the first. I think. I know Thomas doesn't believe in privacy.
If you haven't read the book, maybe you shouldn't comment about it like that. The thing that scares me is that way too many people who call themselves liberal are doing just as good a job paving the way to 1984 as so called conservatives. The so called liberals of the Democrats are the ones always riding the political correctness movement. (Though Palin sure jumped on that "f---ing retarded" bandwagon recently.) Plus it was Dem presidential candidate and current secretary of State Hillary Clinton who was on the bandwagon about Grand Theft Auto attacking our children. To me, neither of the big two parties in the US is truly liberal and looking out for our rights.

Last edited by The Xenos on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
flutterbye

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting about this is that they actually (the prosecution) went in depth with their investigation and found - no - criminal history, no past, present or even intended interaction with 'actual' young people or anything of the sort. They basically proved, the prosecution I mean (who were trying to prove him guilty) that he had never hurt a child, and that there was no reason to think he ever would. He seemed totally involved in substituting these images for actual sex, forgoing actual sex entirely.

Who was this man a threat to? Their attempts to say he might be dangerous because "his test taking methods were evasive" are contrasted by their own evidence saying he gave them 100% access to everything he had and gave up everything without any fight showing no interest in resisting them taking things away from him.

This man, literally, cooperated despite being clearly not guilty of any actual wrong in the physical world. Everything he did that was questionable was contained to his own mind.

There are people that have ACTUALLY murdered someone that get less punishment, and less attention, than this. Why does this not seem very wrong to a mass of people?

Ink on a Page people. It’s ink on a page. Put it in any shape you like, it’s still ink on a page. All they had going for them, where this guy was concerned, is that for some reason he plead guilty (whether he was pressured or whatever). Everything else was just suspicion that he was worse than what they saw on the surface and they had no proof of that, they didn’t even have a basis for it – because he had a perfect and upstanding work and legal record, right down to serving his country.

I used to watch these shows about prosecuting criminals (the reality ones that documented actual trials) all the time, and I got sick of them, why? Because more and more and more I saw them convict people, or just go after people, with no evidence whatsoever. They went after this couple whose child went missing, saying they themselves disposed of the child (despite having two other children who were perfectly healthy who had no complaints about their parents, nor did their community, nor did anyone) for years on – no proof at all – with nothing but suspicion just like this. Anyone that thinks these people know better than “any of you” are fooling themselves because they’re stupid, flawed human beings just like every single one of us.

Except for you, of course. You. Right there. Yes you. You’re an alien. I know because I’m suspicious of it, and thus it is likely a fact due to my suspicion of it.
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
otto117 wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:
And whenever I hear that I have to wonder where and who has possession of those books now. Lord knows I've heard of many stories of DEA agents keeping samples of seizures for personal use. Hell, I was on a jury and the defense lawyer brought up a recent case of Boston officers being caught down Florida with drugs. Though I thought it was a cheap move and really unrelated to the case, it is always good to remember. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? indeed.
Hayami wrote:
Quote:
in Richmond on March 30, 2004, to receive obscene Japanese anime cartoons that graphically depicted (...)
Wow. What a stupid piece of garbage. Of course, I got no sympathy for that guy since his case had him possessing photos of actual children being abused. The f---er deserves to be locked up. Well, not that I don't hope for some rehabilitation someday, as for any criminal, but they should throw the book at him. I just argue that tossing cartoons in with actual photos of actual children is wrong and not even needed.
nadir-seen-fire wrote:
Shocked Please tell me you're trolling and are not serious. Really? Equilibrium, while enjoyable, totally owes everything to classic books like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World. Such great films, well, pretty good films, only exist because they stand on the backs of giant like those classics. Though I myself do confess I've yet to read the copy of Brave New World I own.
kefkaownsall wrote:
Every year it seems we move closer to 1984. (I've not read the book but...) You know most Americans won't pity this guy. They don't care as long as they have a job and can criticize the GVRT. As for the 4th, we're screwed. The conservitives hate it more than the first. I think. I know Thomas doesn't believe in privacy.
If you haven't read the book, maybe you shouldn't comment about it like that. The thing that scares me is that way too many people who call themselves liberal are doing just as good a job paving the way to 1984 as so called conservatives. The so called liberals of the Democrats are the ones always riding the political correctness movement. (Though Palin sure jumped on that "f---ing retarded" bandwagon recently.) Plus it was Dem presidential candidate and current secretary of State Hillary Clinton who was on the bandwagon about Grand Theft Auto attacking our children. To me, neither of the big two parties in the US is truly liberal and looking out for our rights.

Okay maybe 451.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14