• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Gintama, Hidamari Sketch x 365 Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebecca1/2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
God dammit I hate Sentai Filmworks. I've waited a long time for someone to license and dub Gintama and of all companies they had to license it?!!! If Gintama doesn't get a dub I hope they go bankrupt. Worthless sub only company. Can't they ,just once, dub something?

Tell you what, you pony up a couple million bucks to bankroll dubbing the first 100 or so episodes, and I'm sure they'll be happy to hire it out just for you. The last I read, it's about $16,000 an episode to dub a show - and my memory could be off, because that sounds kind of cheap to me.

Now you combine that with the same bunch of greedy children who have no income or just don't care and will just download the series online somewhere without paying for it at all whether it gets a dub or not, and suddenly dubbing a show for English becomes a non-winning proposition. So when you're a small company that literally had to dissolve itself and reform to get out from under being screwed over by a deal with a second company for licenses to release here, you're probably not going to make the gamble.

And even a big company like Funi would have had to look twice at picking up another long series like this because of the large investment to dub it, which is apparently why Sentai was able to get it.

The way I look at it, the greedy ones made this bed and now everyone has to lay in it. Don't like it? Tough, grow up, because that's life, you're never going to get every little thing you want. What it boils down to is you're arguing you're too lazy to read what most of the time is a single line of text at a time on your screen, in addition to looking at the picture. Does that mean you don't buy manga either? It must, because those have to be read too - heck you even have to turn the page yourself, unless you have some kind of remote-control page turner to do it for you.

I personally have no desire to spend the money to upgrade my internet to the level required to try to watch anime on Crunchyroll or any other streaming online source, when I can buy actual hard copies of series I can hold in my hands and watch anytime regardless of a connection of any kind. Dub, sub, no matter, if it's a good show it's a good show regardless. Some of my favorites right now are subtitle shows. And I have a bunch of Sentai stuff on the shelf already. I try to just be glad there is a release of it I can buy at all, and enjoy the show without worrying about such silly things as if there's a dub or not.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I like how the argument always come down to, "If they dub it they'll lose money", like that will always be the case. What's the point in having a business if you're not going to take a chance once in awhile to see if the gamble you took will maximize you profits?
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
I like how the argument always come down to, "If they dub it they'll lose money", like that will always be the case. What's the point in having a business if you're not going to take a chance once in awhile to see if the gamble you took will maximize you profits?

Well, it isn't like companies are operating within a vaccum. They have 15+ years of US anime industry history to look at. Not to mention they are currently operating in an "econimc downturn". It would take a sure thing to get a company like Sentai to make the big bet on spending the money for a dub. When things turn around econimcally, we'll probably see Sentai/etc making less tight-fisted dub-choices. Making a gamble is one thing... making a gamble without considering all the factors that come into play is just foolhardy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
rebecca1/2 wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
God dammit I hate Sentai Filmworks. I've waited a long time for someone to license and dub Gintama and of all companies they had to license it?!!! If Gintama doesn't get a dub I hope they go bankrupt. Worthless sub only company. Can't they ,just once, dub something?

Tell you what, you pony up a couple million bucks to bankroll dubbing the first 100 or so episodes, and I'm sure they'll be happy to hire it out just for you. The last I read, it's about $16,000 an episode to dub a show - and my memory could be off, because that sounds kind of cheap to me.

A little over half of that was the last number floating around that I remember. Even better, you can get 50 people together to each float $10k and become secondary investors in the series. If you really think it is an investment that will pay off, why not do it?

Maybe anime companies should start selling "dubbing" securities. Razz

Last edited by bayoab on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Please apply to a distribution company as soon as possible. Clearly, any of them would love to hire somebody with your astounding business acumen and unerring sense of which titles will rake in the cash if dubbed. Rolling Eyes
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

The point is right now that some companies are playing it safe right now since the economy is still pretty shaky. Not lets say that Gintama got an R1 release in 2007, it mostly like would have gotten a dub regardless of how good or bad it sold. That being said if the economy was really good right now, it would probably have a dub on it.

Look at the stuff coming out of Japan right now, harem show and otaku type shows. Yea there are tons of them out there, but they are safe since they know the stuff will sell maybe enough to either break even, close to breaking, or make a tiny profit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kenshin Shinta

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many american movies sent to other countries are subbed or dubbed? Also if a title is dubbed after it has been out for years subbed- if it doesn't sell well what does this prove considering some my not double dip/new purchase/care after so long/still are pissed because of no dub to begin with etc.etc.etc. And why do people ask for figures when most people refer to someone else's findings or sayings i.e. this business owner said and posted this on this or that site[does one persons figures professional or not make it law] Also if you are thinking about all the anime fans as a company...wouldn't you think if you licensed say ten niche(as everyone calls them)titles that you could/should/or would at least dub(oh I don't know say 1)I'm glad for those who like the sub but though it is better than not having the show for some for others that are dub only there's no difference. Lastly I don't think it's unreasonable for us dubbers to want to listen to something we want to watch in the predominant language most of us speak i.e.-most movie theaters(in america )or tv shows(in america) also isn't a forum on the impersonable internet a place where people are suppose to be able to rant,rave,whine,cry,and voice their opinions(which is what we all are doing) just my thoughts- much love people
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

Please apply to a distribution company as soon as possible. Clearly, any of them would love to hire somebody with your astounding business acumen and unerring sense of which titles will rake in the cash if dubbed. Rolling Eyes

That's not what I am saying. There is no guarantee they'll make more money dubbing Gintama. What I am saying is it's sometimes better to take a risk than just always playing it safe.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

That's not what I am saying. There is no guarantee they'll make more money dubbing Gintama. What I am saying is it's sometimes better to take a risk than just always playing it safe.

And do you seriously think that Gintama is a show that Section 23 should take that risk on?

It would mean being able to license a lot less other shows for the next couple months until they start getting revenue from it, and then if it's a flop facing a choice of cutting their losses and dropping the dub or series or losing thousands and thousands of dollars on a losing show...

Perhaps they felt like even if in the long term it would pay off, that they don't have the finances to pay for it in the short term. You can't take a gamble if you don't have the money to bet.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So buying expensive R2J DVDs with no translations whatsoever is worth it, but buying cheap R1s with subtitles is a waste of money? You sure you're not getting bootlegs?

If that's the case, then why not just watch it on crunchyroll for free? Let's be realistic guys, there is no incentive to buy a stripped down release with no extras. It really bothers me that such a major license is basically being sent to die. I mean it's not like they couldn't have made a few dub discs to test the waters, even Media Blasters did that with GaoGaiGar.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
So buying expensive R2J DVDs with no translations whatsoever is worth it, but buying cheap R1s with subtitles is a waste of money? You sure you're not getting bootlegs?

If that's the case, then why not just watch it on crunchyroll for free? Let's be realistic guys, there is no incentive to buy a stripped down release with no extras. It really bothers me that such a major license is basically being sent to die. I mean it's not like they couldn't have made a few dub discs to test the waters, even Media Blasters did that with GaoGaiGar.
Why? So people can complain as to why a dub was dropped?
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:

Where did I say it mattered if the title was dual audio or not

ChocoBar wrote:

They don't, most if not all sub-only releases don't break even at least nowadays

First of all do you have any proof that sub-only titles make far less money then billingal titles?

Second what year are you living in, in being so blissfully ignorant and naive in trying to prove you're own fabricated point in exaggerating youre theory that dubs always sell better?

You don't even realize that during the 90s, consumers had to choose between a dub VHS or sub tape and it was incredibly rare for a NEW show to get licensed. With most common licenses having already been availble in Japan for at least more than 3 years. During that time most US labels were lucky to get anything licensed at all.

You and many of the other infanile,ignorant dub-only whiners act as if the R1 market has the deep pockets of hollywood. They don't. And as we learned in 2007 with Geneon, not everything can be dubbed. Funimation chooses mainstream titles and avoids niche titles. Sentai has been picking up mostly niche titles and if you think that it wasn't working for them, wouldn't ADV have shut down completely last year? after all they started Sentai in mid 2008. So by now, we already see that sub-only releases do benifit. Also, did you even stop and wonder that Section23 may go back and dub thier releases?
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Waffi wrote:
lalala subs are better. so glad this is coming out :3

why do people like dubs? 99.9% of the time the voice doesnt even fit the character.
especially for someone who has watched a show with the original voice acting its impossible to switch over and like it.

It isn't (I've done this myself on a few occasions), you're wrong about the the 99.9% part (try more like <20% of the time), and this smacks of trolling anyway. This kind of post can only start arguments, not discussions.

This is a warning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I mean it's not like they couldn't have made a few dub discs to test the waters, even Media Blasters did that with GaoGaiGar.

Media Blasters was not "testing the waters" by giving GaoGaiGar a dub. Hell, I feel that the only reason why GaoGaiGar was even dubbed half-way was because they were on the verge of getting the show aired on one of Disney's channels, before that went nowhere.

I don't think any company has ever given an anime an English dub as a matter of "testing the waters", as there's a good chance that it will only end in disappointment.
triangle_man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I believe that there would very likely be no R1 DVD market if it weren't for the dubs of Gundam, Bebop, DBZ, etc that made it on TV in the '90s and early '00s, but as many folks have also said, I'm glad (and fairly surprised, in some cases) we're getting some these shows in the US at all, dub or no.

I certainly don't have the money to import the REAL R2 DVDs of shows I really want, and they don't have english subtitles most of the time anyway. I've seen other *cough* bootlegged *cough* box sets of various shows (with subtitles only) sell for less, but having experienced a couple of these firsthand, the subtitles the HK "importers" put on them are laughably horrible almost all the time. They may be cheaper, but huge difference in quality isn't worth the savings.

P.S. Ditto the surprise at Asatte no Houko. I like it, but sort assumed it'd never make it over here.

P.P.S. I'm still gonna keep my "import" of Only Yesterday until Disney gets around to bringing it over. I was pleasantly surprised that the subs were not that bad. Maybe they copied from the subs used in the Ghibli fest on (IFC?) awhile back.

Last edited by triangle_man on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16