• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord III

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, I did not know the reference and it is used in another manga (the one has has doujinshi running in parallel made by the same author).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
bay like goats

Dogs bay. Goats bleat. Smile Which was hilarious, given their Berserk level of outlandishly creepy design (along with Berserk levels of bad CGI). They were about the only part of the episode I really liked though, since I'm not real big on slaughter for slaughter's sake.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I loved the many mouthed monster goats, even if they were CG. While the CG of the soldiers were copy and pasted, and looked it; I like the CG of the goblin army.

But what are you going to do. They had 5000 soldiers at Carne village, and then 250 thousand at the main battle, not even mentioning the Empire's forces. They are not Pixar and probably don't have Pixar's budget either. I can forgive them this little trespass, because they went for it. This wasn't an easy episode to bring to light, and I think they did the monster goats proud.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ains also leaves us with a semi-mystery about who the “three, no four” which couldn't be targeted were and why; past precedent strongly suggests that Climb is one, and Ains' offer to Gazeff seems to indicate that he's another, but is Brain also one? If we presume Renner is the third then who's the fourth?

I was wondering who they were too and hopefully we'll find out. I'd presume Gazeff (since we see Ains interested in him) and Brain & Climb due to their past interactions with Sebas.
Was Renner at the battle? I would think she would still be in the city... or did I just forget that she was going too from last week?

I would guess the King would be the 4th, since Ains would probably want someone who has the authority to surrender to him to be left alive. The battle would end pretty quickly if he appeared in front of the King and told him to have the troops throw down their arms (though it's not like he needs that...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Renner is not at the battle, she's back at the castle. We do see a bit more about her next season if that gets made.

maximilianjenus wrote:
Thanks, I did not know the reference and it is used in another manga (the one has has doujinshi running in parallel made by the same author).

ah, a fellow man of culture, not even the Cthulhu Old Ones can escape being lewded by Japan.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Renner is not at the battle, she's back at the castle. We do see a bit more about her next season if that gets made.

Well, with enough material for at least one more season (4 more volumes & each season using roughly 3 I believe), we can only hope that this season does well enough for a 4th =D
Feekky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
Ains also leaves us with a semi-mystery about who the “three, no four” which couldn't be targeted were and why; past precedent strongly suggests that Climb is one, and Ains' offer to Gazeff seems to indicate that he's another, but is Brain also one? If we presume Renner is the third then who's the fourth?

I was wondering who they were too and hopefully we'll find out. I'd presume Gazeff (since we see Ains interested in him) and Brain & Climb due to their past interactions with Sebas.
Was Renner at the battle? I would think she would still be in the city... or did I just forget that she was going too from last week?

I would guess the King would be the 4th, since Ains would probably want someone who has the authority to surrender to him to be left alive. The battle would end pretty quickly if he appeared in front of the King and told him to have the troops throw down their arms (though it's not like he needs that...)

Pretty sure the 4 people are Gazef, Climb, the King and Marquis Raeven. The LN mentions one of the dark young chasing Raeven but then stopping, not sure why the anime left this out when they did include that it was 4 people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Ep 13,

I think the season ended well, probably due to not much CG detracting from the scenes. I wonder if they'll do season 4, and if so, how they'll do it, given that the 3rd arc of the season is 2 volumes long instead of one. They would either have to shove 4 volumes into one season (which would be even more fast paced than this one) or they would have to cut it off part way which would just be awkward. I do really want to see Neia on screen though.

I'm also curious as to how well these last 2 seasons did in comparison to the first.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I never felt this season had enough bite as the previous two. The first season had some interesting villians (I did like Clementine), while the second has some good secondary characters and world building. Season three dropped hints at some things and enhanced the world building but it seemed to 'tell rather than show' more on this occasion.

Still, I recently purchased the Saga of Tanya the Evil light novels and Overlord was next to them. I may have to buy them next as I do want to know how everything pans out, tis an interesting story.
Toonces

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I liked this season, although I didn't think it was as strong as the first 2.

Honestly, I was disappointed by the Invasion of Nazarick. Not because I wanted to learn more about the Adventurers, but because I wanted to see more of Nazarick... Granted, I get that there's supposed to be some mystique there, but I wish we could've seen more. Not sure how much the books expand on the location and its denizens. I know the anime has cut things like Albedo's sister, but that was earlier in the series.

Some people might feel like the time spent at Carne was dragged out a little too much, but Prince Barbro's visit totally justified it for me (although I did enjoy the first arc of the season regardless). The Goblin Horn twist was fantastic.

The war was ok. I think it lacked some of the charm that other hopeless battles in this series have had, but there were some interesting developments nevertheless. I wish we could've seen reactions from other countries/territories to this battle, but maybe that'll come with season 4.

But yeah, overall I did like this season a lot. I just feel like I enjoyed the other seasons a bit more.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I think the invasion of the Tomb could have been stretched out across a few episodes. But it looks as if they're setting up for something big next season like Eins defeat. Too much of the series so far has felt like setup.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I think the invasion of the Tomb could have been stretched out across a few episodes. But it looks as if they're setting up for something big next season like Eins defeat. Too much of the series so far has felt like setup.

Ainz' defeat??

The sword being able to bypass Ainz's defenses,now in the hands of Brain and Climb(Mr Mary Sue) is one of several,very much undeveloped,sub plots found throughout Overlord.

Volume 13 just concluded the latest arc,with volume 14 set to begin the next arc(due out "sometime" in 2019).Overlord's story is a long ways away from wrapping up,it's still creating sub plots lol, You'll have to wait till Overlord's volume count is in the 20's before the story begins to wind down.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
I never felt this season had enough bite as the previous two. The first season had some interesting villians (I did like Clementine), while the second has some good secondary characters and world building. Season three dropped hints at some things and enhanced the world building but it seemed to 'tell rather than show' more on this occasion.

Still, I recently purchased the Saga of Tanya the Evil light novels and Overlord was next to them. I may have to buy them next as I do want to know how everything pans out, tis an interesting story.

The anime giving Mary's father her part aside,Tanya is the better anime adaptation.

Overlord's anime adaptation suffers from it's three volumes per thirteen episode format,and after the first season a limited animation budget.

Overlord's LN is a fun read,reminds me of my AD&D and WoW days.
Toonces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
writerpatrick wrote:

Ainz' defeat??

The sword being able to bypass Ainz's defenses,now in the hands of Brain and Climb(Mr Mary Sue) is one of several,very much undeveloped,sub plots found throughout Overlord.

Volume 13 just concluded the latest arc,with volume 14 set to begin the next arc(due out "sometime" in 2019).Overlord's story is a long ways away from wrapping up,it's still creating sub plots lol, You'll have to wait till Overlord's volume count is in the 20's before the story begins to wind down.

I think that speaks to writerpatrick's other point. While I do love the story, way too much feels like set-up that won't have payoff for a long time.

For instance, obviously the sword will be important, but it doesn't feel like we'll get anything satisfying from that for a while. And frankly, unless another Ygdrasil player steps up, it's hard to imagine Ains and co struggling much for the foreseeable future. The story right now seems to much be more about them steamrolling the current continent/surrounding nations, and then having those people rise up against them (and probably fail).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:

I think that speaks to writerpatrick's other point. While I do love the story, way too much feels like set-up that won't have payoff for a long time.
----The story right now seems to much be more about them steamrolling the current continent/surrounding nations, and then having those people rise up against them (and probably fail).

Yes each arc is now about how each new country encountered is suborned into surrender or infiltrated and ruled from within or even allied....and so on.

The anime is in the end just a typical ln adaption,a quick synopsis.
This season alone left out a few reveals on other players actually being(past and perhaps present) in the New World. And dropped the story line of what Albedo's(with her little sister's help) intends to do about other players.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13