• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin (TV 1996 + movie + OAVs).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote
Just got an email from Play Asia this morning, and pre-orders are up for Rurouni Kenshin Kansei

http://www.play-asia.com/Rurouni_Kenshin_Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan_Kansei/paOS-13-71-9f-49-en-70-4uxb.html

Included are 4 screenshots from the game.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yesterday afternoon I had the opportunity to see the newest Rurouni Kenshin OVA that will be released on Blu Ray on Aug 22nd in Japan at the Ikebukuro theater in Tokyo. Special thanks goes out to my buddy John who lives here in Tokyo and doing the leg work so we could both see this.

Warning, there will be spoilers in this review, so use some caution while reading. Also since I've only seen this once, some scenes might be jumbled around as I was trying to watch and remember what I saw, so please bear with me.

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation ** Spoiler Alert Below **Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
spoiler[

The opening of the OAV begins with Misao tending to Okina as he's bandaged in bed, the ghosts/shadows of the dead Oniwaban group can seen surrounded.

The next scene has ShishiO talking with Anji while he works on carving out a small deity. ShishO asks Anji to make one in his visage. In the background Fuji can be heard yelling. Meanwhile Yumi is praying at the grave where Usui's body is buried. Soujiro comes up and asks her why she's doing that. After some conversation, ShishiO and Anji join them and speak about their plans.]

spoiler[ Later Kenshin receives word by carrier pigeon from Misao what happened to Okina and they rush to the Aoiya. Kenshin and the others discuss what ShiShiO's plans are to take over Kyoto which involve burning the city to the ground while the "Black Ship" does it's part from Osaka port in the harbor.

ShishiO and his group meet up in a forest with Aoshi to see if they can come to an agreement on him assisting them. He agrees and goes with them.]

spoiler[ At some point there's another seen where Sanosuke and Saito speak over food with Sano demanding more rice with his meal. At one point Sano talks about how he feels about the Meiji government killing the Sekihoutai. At the end of the conversation, the two leave for the Osaka port.

The next scene has Yahiko and Kenshin speaking before Kenshin departs. Yahiko remembers to tell Kenshin that he ran into Hiko earlier and Kenshin explains that Hiko is his master. Yahiko heads back to meet with Kaoru and the Oniwaban group as they'll be watching Kyoto during the final battle and helping the police.]

spoiler[ Sanosuke and Saito arrive at the Osaka port to find Anji there. Saito takes his coat off and dives into the water to infiltrate the Purgatory ship. At one point Yumi tries to use the Gatling gun to shoot Saito while he swims, but he basically tricks her with tossing small rocks out of the water so she fires in the wrong spot. Back to Sano and Anji... this is the first time that the two have met so there's no history between them and Sano does not know how to do the Futae no Kiwami (even though his attack is pretty much doing that) The battle ends up being basically a brawl which both of them speak about their history while fighting. There's one flashback seen where Captain Sagara and 2 other members of the Sekihoutai are decapitated and put on display with a young Sanosuke screaming behind a fence.

After Saito infiltrates the ship he fights ShishiO with his Gatotsu. The two fight and speak about Saito's "Aku Soku Zan" morals. The animation for this battle is pretty impressive and Saito actually yells "Gatotsu Zero Stance". Unfortunately his sword breaks on the metal plate that guards ShishiO's head. ShishiO leaves Saito to take care of other business as Saito's legs took a hit during the fight.]

spoiler[ Meanwhile back at the Aoiya, ShishiO's men (most whom have been killed have actually set fire to the building) Okina wakes up and is able to get out with the help of Misao and Omine. Outside they are met by Fuji. Everyone does what they can to stop Fuji but in the end they can't stop him as he's just too strong. Yahiko takes a stance against Fuji and as Fuji swings his blade down, it's blocked by Hiko.

Back in Osaka harbor Kenshin's raft gets to the Purgatory and he boards the ship to find Soujiro. Kenshin and Soujiro's battle begins with a fight along the upper deck of the ship. During the fight, Soujiro can't understand how a man who is in turmoil about having to kill again can be stronger one who has no emotion. The fight itself really captures the speed of how fast Soujiro and Kenshin moved. Saito can be seen watching the fight with some amusement too. The fight ends with Kenshin's reverse blade posed to strike Soujiro, both exchange words and Soujiro yields the fight to Kenshin. While Kenshin heads down below, Soujiro orders the men on the Purgatory to attack the police in the harbor with the canons. Almost all of the police have been killed except the Lieutenant. He fires the last shot that causes a lot of damage on the ship.]

spoiler[ The final battle with Shisho has Kenshin in the lower deck of the ship fighting around metal poles. Due to the canon fire from the Kyoto police, the ship is damaged and steam from the engine room is bursting through the floor hence increasing the temperature in the room. The fight between Kenshin and ShishiO is impressive with Kenshin using his sheath to nail ShishiO in the jaw causing a ton of blood to spill. The fight is contrasted also with Hiko's fight with Fuji at the same time. The whole emphasis in this fight focuses on the KuzuRyuSen and how both Kenshin and Hiko use it at the end of their battles. During Kenshin's fight ShishiO's body begins to fail because of the increase in temperature and blood bursts from his face and chest. Kenshin ends up getting skewered with ShiShiO's sword in the upper right arm. But the final blow (and slightly controversial) is Kenshin using the end handle of the sword to hit ShishiO so hard in the skull that his head splits in two. Yes, you read that right. HIS HEAD SPLITS IN TWO and then quickly he tries to put it together before he collapses and basically dies. Yumi comes to his side after and stays with him. So yeah there is no AmaKakeru Ryuu No Hirameki in this fight. I don't even think Kenshin knows this.]

spoiler[ As Kenshin struggles to leave the ship, Aoshi wants to settle things with him, both of them attack and Kenshin settles the fight by using a weaker version of the same hit he used on ShiShiO to knock out Aoshi. Sanosuke brings a raft to get Kenshin off the ship with Aoshi while Saito and Soujiro escape on a separate one also. Soujiro says to Saito that Yumi was lucky that she got her wish about being together with ShishiO.

Aoshi and Kenshin return to Aoiya after Kenshin was patched up. Aoshi bows and Misao runs up to him and cries in his chest. Kaoru greets Kenshin with welcoming him back. There's several clips of what happens with everyone after as it appears Anji doesn't go to jail.

The last scene is with Seiku Arai, Kenshin and the others at the shrine where the True Reverse blade sword was kept. Kenshin offers to return it, however Seiku refuses his offer. And he replaces the original one with a new sword in it's place at the shrine.]

** Thoughts **

My buddy and I had some good discussions about this after about how it all played out. Overall we both enjoyed it since both just love Kenshin. Of course there's a lot missing from the original source material as well as things that we agreed were controversial (like how Kenshin defeats ShishiO.) Lots of background information about Soujiro is pretty much omitted other than a small still of ShiShiO and him standing out in the rain after he murdered his family. Still though it was an interesting angle to tell Rurouni Kenshin from a very different perspective. We both agreed that if the TV series could have had the quality of animation that this OAV series had, but with the source material being used as it was 15 years ago, then it would have been incredible. Hopefully with these two OAV's and the live movie coming out in August, there'll be enough interest in Kenshin to start the series up again.

My score:
Story: 4/5 - Different take on the TV series, while trying to keep as much as possible within 45 mins. Some choices in how things are executed are questionable.

Animation: 5/5 - Sword fights are incredible. Totally wish the old TV series was to this caliber.

Music: 5/5 - New tracks from Noriyuki Asakura as well as new takes on some of the older material. Overall beautifully executed. Hopefully a soundtrack will be released in the future. Love the ending song "Feel you"

Overall (not an average) : 4.5 / 5 - Definitely enjoyable and worthy addition to the RK library.

[EDIT: Merged your thread into the main one and spread out the spoiler tags for better readability. -TK]
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the dub of New Kyoto Arc... Great translation... Horrible dub cast. No Bang Zoom dub cast here folks. BIG fail on Sentai Filmworks.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
My anime club is currently watching the Kyoto Arc of the original Kenshin series so I snapped up New Kyoto Arc on the first day of its stateside release. Overall, I liked it. Although some re-arrangements were questionable it worked over-all and I also hope for a re-do of the series if not just finally getting the Jinchu arc animated.
Wolfenstein

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
The Trust and Betrayal OVA is probably the best thing to come out of this series. Even the manga version loses slightly to that gloomy and moody interpretation.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but if weren't for the manga, there wouldn't be any source material to adapt in the first place. If anything, the Tsuioku-hen OVA is one of those rare cases where all the production quality of an anime not only complimented the adaptation, but actually improved it to some degree (thanks in large part to that really epic score by Taku Iwasaki).
Wolfenstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, don't misunderstand, that's not to say the manga has no merit, since Tsuioku-hen is an adaptation first and foremost. I was just praising it because, like you said, it had great production quality.
I love both the manga flashback and Tsuioku-hen, but I like the OVA better mostly due to the amazing musical score, too.

I've actually been dying to talk about this OVA, but little-to-no forums will have active discussions of it these days(something to do with it being released in 1999)!

For instance, what did you guys think of the subtle changes to the plot?

I think the one I enjoyed most was Tomoe crossing out Kenshin's wound.

It says something so completely different from the accidental cross made in the manga.

Why do you guys think she crossed the wound before calling him "dear husband"? I have my theory, but I want to know if people think like me on this!
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am Reply with quote
Pfft. Those forums suck, then. A story as timeless as this shouldn't be weighed down by something as trivial as its "production year." It's because the story is so great that it surpasses contemporary memory and becomes a classic for the ages.

Anyway, the manual etching of the scar by Tomoe herself does wonders for Kenshin's character. It's sad because he loves her, ironic and poetic because of how he got the first scar (and also indicative of the man we know he'd become later), and a bittersweet ending to a very tragic romance.

Personally, I feel that she truly loved him. Throughout the entire story arc and despite her knowing that this was the man that killed her fiancé, in the end, she opened his, once, naive heart to the joys of simple living, of not killing, and of genuine companionship, and I think she really admired the man he'd become.

Before that, he was just another murderer taking orders for a cause that may have had good intentions at first. But after killing so many people, he lost sight of what those original intentions were. He was an absolute prodigy in Hiten Mitsurugi, but his age, naivety, and childish soul led him into killing for all the wrong reasons.

And as we see his character evolve, so too, does Tomoe's. She brought out his better side, and he soothed her anguished side. But she probably saw more good in what he could do (and also wanted to protect him for once) that she sacrificed herself at the last moment. The scar was more or less a final reminder to remember the magnitude of the decisions that ended up changing him forever: killing Kiyosato (the fiancé), and the eventuality of falling for (protecting) Tomoe because of that. It changed his complete mindset from one that welcomed death to one that flourished life. And if he saw the scars, he'd always remember who they came from.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
The entire description of Kenshin's life's journey is unrivaled in the anime space IMO. He's the only fictional character that made me feel like he existed, despite the stylistic shounen battle format of the universe. I'm glad that the Tsuioku-hen OVA still stands among the most critically acclaimed anime to date. I already loved the main story arcs of the animated series and considered it an all-time favorite. However, this also made me put off watching the OVA due to its vastly different art style and tone. I'm glad that I eventually watched it. The opening sequence of Kenshin's master's narration sent chills down my spine. Witnessing Kenshin as a ruthless assassin actually shocked me and made me realize,"This is it. This is his entire past finally revealed." His desire to be the savior of the people, sparked by his master's words in his youth, were wonderfully and ironically superimposed with his weary face after having butchered his target. Everything following that was just amazing all the way to the ending.

Speaking of endings, I know that the original 4-part OVA in its original 4:3 aspect ratio is what people tend to prefer since it's the original, but has anyone seen the director's cut version? Even though the letterbox removes the extra space, I much preferred the way the ending was expressed in the DC version, especially with the scene where he fought on the bridge at the decisive battle of the revolution. The music and emotion seemed perfectly climaxed precisely for that moment. However, when I saw the original, it felt like the impact wasn't there without that scene.

Overall, it was an adaptation done right. The original manga source probably didn't cover the scenes in such a way that I described and could only be fully realized as an animated work of art. The director(s) and production studio really had to understand what this young man's journey was telling us in order to make it as good as it was.
Wolfenstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Pfft. Those forums suck, then. A story as timeless as this shouldn't be weighed down by something as trivial as its "production year." It's because the story is so great that it surpasses contemporary memory and becomes a classic for the ages.

I agree! I only discovered this OVA recently, and after watching it 3x, I was dying to discuss it!

Tony K. wrote:
Personally, I feel that she truly loved him. Throughout the entire story arc and despite her knowing that this was the man that killed her fiancé, in the end, she opened his, once, naive heart to the joys of simple living, of not killing, and of genuine companionship, and I think she really admired the man he'd become.

Before that, he was just another murderer taking orders for a cause that may have had good intentions at first. But after killing so many people, he lost sight of what those original intentions were. He was an absolute prodigy in Hiten Mitsurugi, but his age, naivety, and childish soul led him into killing for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, I agree on the fact that they truly loved each other. When they were living in Otsu, Kenshin finally discovered what peace and happiness actually was, and realized his errors in following his ideology so blindly.

This OVA is so beautifully written, chock-full of symbolism and allegory.

Like the taste of Sake representing how happy you are, Tomoe's Tanto representing her desire for revenge, Kenshin's spinning top representing his childhood innocence, Tomoe's shawn becoming a symbol of her love for him(along with the scar).

Kenshin acting as a sword and Tomoe his sheath, plus the parallels with Takasugi and his wife, Katsura and his, etc... all that is excellent writting.

Tony K. wrote:
And as we see his character evolve, so too, does Tomoe's. She brought out his better side, and he soothed her anguished side. But she probably saw more good in what he could do (and also wanted to protect him for once) that she sacrificed herself at the last moment.

I still tear up at that scene. I really enjoyed the changes they made with Tomoe sneaking up behind Kenshin, him remembering the times they had toguether, and then him looking at her grave, mumbling his promise to her.

So freaking sad. Beautifully sad, even.

I think the true tragedy comes from knowing that they could've lived happily until they died, had they be left alone. Well, that's no saying much, though, it's the backbone of alot of tragic loves. It's just that I've never seen a tragic love as cleverly written, organic and believable as this one.

Tony K. wrote:
The scar was more or less a final reminder to remember the magnitude of the decisions that ended up changing him forever: killing Kiyosato (the fiancé), and the eventuality of falling for (protecting) Tomoe because of that. It changed his complete mindset from one that welcomed death to one that flourished life. And if he saw the scars, he'd always remember who they came from.

Yes, that's a good interpretation! However, I'd go even further with it!

Well, remember that Kenshin's scar would regularly bleed whenever he killed anyone? Iizuka explains that a scar made with a strong resentment won't fully heal until that resentment is released/expiated/neutralized.

That scar was made by Kiyosato's blade when he was damning the fact that he wouldn't be able to return to Tomoe. Made with the resentment of leaving her behind.
Essentially, I think the scar represents basically what you said; the resentment of a destroyed happiness - Kiyosato's death is that destroyed happiness.

Which is why I think it would bleed everytime Kenshin mudered or re-lived his murders. The hatred in the wound would seep out.

That is, until Tomoe got into his life. When she was around, even when Kenshin killed, his scar didn't bleed at all. It's obvious that when he was around her, he forgot that he was a cruel mass-murderer, and so, the hatred in the wound, stuffed under his increasing relationship with Tomoe, wouldn't seep out.

Which is why I think that manual cut from Tomoe meant so much.

In the end, while Tatsumu was laying it on Kenshin, Tomoe was paralyzed due to the immense guilt of loving the man who murdered her fiancé. That is when Akira showed up, and in what I probably think happened, showed her that all he wanted was her happiness(which is what I think that specific flower is a symbol for in this OVA), and that if loving/living/protecting his murderer made her happy, he didn't care.

Which is why after that, she immeadiately jumped in to protect him.

And then, in her final moments, she crossed the scar.

Tomoe's crossing out of the original scar might be seen as her loving feelings for Kenshin erasing the hatred instilled in the first scar.
In essence, I think the second scar represents what you said: Kenshin and Tomoe's relationship - which was happy.

So my intrepretation was that she crossed that wound which was instilled with resentment with a wound that was instilled with loved, so as to show to Kenshin:

"You may have destroyed my first happiness, but I forgive you for that; because you gave me a new happiness"

Oh, man. Now that is powerful.

And I think this kinda makes sense, because if you notice, after she crosses out the wound, Kenshin's wound never bleeds again, just as if Tomoe were still with him there. In this case, it's their loving moments suppresing that old hatred, though. With the hatred neutralized, the scars then became normal scars - and started to heal.

What do you think?

~~~

I also have some questions about this OVA that left me totally confused!

1) What's that scene where we see Tomoe at night bleeding and stuff, holding her stomach? Is she menstruating or something?

2) Does Tomoe mumble something when the camera zooms in on her mouth when her and Kenshin are having sex? It looks like she does, but I have no idea if it really is.

3) What does Kenshin scream right before he is about to charge Tatsumi? Probably "Tomoe", I would think.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Wolfenstein on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote
yoshiyukiblade wrote:
The entire description of Kenshin's life's journey is unrivaled in the anime space IMO. He's the only fictional character that made me feel like he existed, despite the stylistic shounen battle format of the universe.

Actually, you might be interested to know that Kenshin does have a real-life model. He's based on an assassin named Kawakami Gensai, known for being particularly efficient because of his effeminate appearance, who was executed on trumped-up charges when he became a liability to the powers that be. Ironically, much of Kenshin's story takes place after the time period when Kawakami would have died.

Many other characters in the series, especially the Shinsengumi members like Saito and Okita, also really existed.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Wolfenstein wrote:
And I think this kinda makes sense, because if you notice, after she crosses out the wound, Kenshin's wound never bleeds again, just as if Tomoe were still with him there. In this case, it's their loving moments suppresing that old hatred, though. With the hatred neutralized, the scars then became normal scars - and started to heal.

What do you think?

Excellent interpretation! You summed up the whole psychological trauma very well between the transitioning of his mindset from one of violence to one of peace. Yes, I agree that for Kenshin as person, the love he felt from living with Tomoe was exactly the wake up call he needed to realize the error of his ways. And the guilt he felt before was essentially erased after being so overcome with genuine happiness that he subconsciously stopped thinking about the violence, and hence the first scar stopped bleeding.

Whereas the second scar from Tomoe "covered" the first one while serving as a reminder to say "remember the happiness that peace can bring" or something of that nature, which in turn would be a catalyst for the whole "be happy-go-lucky and defend the weak with a sakabattou" philosophy that he uses in the TV series, adding a whole new level of depth when you think about why he never wanted to kill again or go into Batttousai mode.

As for your questions:

Wolfenstein wrote:
1) What's that scene where we see Tomoe at night bleeding and stuff, holding her stomach? Is she menstruating or something?

Yep, menstruation. As for the purpose? I have no idea. Maybe to add some realism? I mean, how often does anime show something as true-to-life and grounded as a woman during her period? Confused..

Wolfenstein wrote:
2) Does Tomoe mumble something when the camera zooms in on her mouth when her and Kenshin are having sex? It looks like she does, but I have no idea if it really is.

It's hard to tell with anime. Even in native Japanese audio, most mouth flaps don't always sync perfectly, especially with traditional animation like this (CG is a little better, unless they also motion-capturing, which would make it pretty much perfect, but that's only on rare occasions). She could just be moaning and we're to interpret that they're making love, but to save the voice actress the possible embarrassment of mimicking sexual moans in the recording booth, they just left it to our imagination. Plus, I think it would sound weird to hear such beautiful music and then awkward sounds of sex in-between chord and note progressions.

Wolfenstein wrote:
3) What does Kenshin scream right before he is about to charge Tatsumi? Probably "Tomoe", I would think.

That's a possibility. At this point, he's probably so love and grief stricken after being with her for so long that he considered this a "last stand" and decided to charge head-on kamikaze style. We could interpret him as having nothing left to live for after being conditioned up by her love and psychologically broken by her betrayal (hence the English title "Trust and Betrayal", even though Tsuioku-hen literally translates to "Remembrance Story," so much for theatrics, I guess..). But in his grief, he probably wasn't thinking too clearly to begin with, as evident by the once-again bleeding scar and the fact that the other minions actually managed to beat him up a little.

Or, it could just be that the slowed-down animation was for dramatic effect. And like I said about question #2, instead of having some awkward noises intervening with the epic score (in this case, Kenshin running and screaming something), they just left it to out imaginations again and let the music do emotional work Razz.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Actually, you might be interested to know that Kenshin does have a real-life model. He's based on an assassin named Kawakami Gensai, known for being particularly efficient because of his effeminate appearance, who was executed on trumped-up charges when he became a liability to the powers that be. Ironically, much of Kenshin's story takes place after the time period when Kawakami would have died.

Many other characters in the series, especially the Shinsengumi members like Saito and Okita, also really existed.

Indeed, the whole series got me a little interested in the Bakumatsu and the following Meiji era. I loved how it's an "alternate history" tall tale with all the historical figures involved. Also included in the cast were Katsura and Oukubo. Oukubo's assassination (including the time and place) is real history, and it directly triggered Kenshin to confront Shishio, the true culprit. All of this definitely contributes to the realism of the backstory.

The history is an additional factor to the realism of the story, but I actually didn't have that in mind when I wrote that lol. What I meant by how "it felt like he existed" is just how much of his life was revealed to us, the audience. The consistency of his mindset from childhood to adulthood, and the way he evolved throughout the phases of his life, felt very believable. Of course this is all under the veil of an entertaining Shounen battle manga, with stylistic characters and whatnot. Aside from that, there's a lot to be said about Kenshin.

I was actually very surprised by how consistent his character was after it was all finally revealed. The picture painted in my imagination throughout the first story arc was that he was some "evil man-slayer" that suddenly disappeared and mysteriously returned as a good guy 10 years later. From there, the reasoning behind his "sudden" shift was left to my imagination and I would never have considered it to be from the most tragic "mistake" of his life.

I'm not sure how much of the real-life historical figure, which Kenshin may be based off of, mirrors Kenshin's way of thinking. I'm not sure if there's any biography of that man's life out there.
Wolfenstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Excellent interpretation! You summed up the whole psychological trauma very well between the transitioning of his mindset from one of violence to one of peace. Yes, I agree that for Kenshin as person, the love he felt from living with Tomoe was exactly the wake up call he needed to realize the error of his ways. And the guilt he felt before was essentially erased after being so overcome with genuine happiness that he subconsciously stopped thinking about the violence, and hence the first scar stopped bleeding.

Exactly! After all, the hatred in that scar is the hatred of a happiness destroyed by that same violence. If he moved away from those feelings and memories of violence, naturally the hatred wouldn't be seeping from the wound.

Tony K. wrote:
Whereas the second scar from Tomoe "covered" the first one while serving as a reminder to say "remember the happiness that peace can bring" or something of that nature, which in turn would be a catalyst for the whole "be happy-go-lucky and defend the weak with a sakabattou" philosophy that he uses in the TV series, adding a whole new level of depth when you think about why he never wanted to kill again or go into Batttousai mode.

Precisely. The feelings of genuine happiness are exactly the emotion that was framed by Tomoe's blade(which is why it stopped the hatred in the first wound), both as a means to tell Kenshin to remember the warmth of people that her love taught him, but more importantly; to tell him that she forgave him due to providing her with a new happiness.

That ties even better with the fact that Kenshin, right before her death, was telling himself that he was not worthy to protect her, thinking that his wife probably hated him, like you said: "We could interpret him as having nothing left to live for".

I believe that both the cross and her last words to him(forgive me anata) were her final efforts to expiate that feeling from him; show that she forgave him and loved him, even after all he did.

Tony K. wrote:
Yep, menstruation. As for the purpose? I have no idea. Maybe to add some realism? I mean, how often does anime show something as true-to-life and grounded as a woman during her period?

Indeed, I thought so too. Some people told me they thought she was miscarrying, but I think that'd be too big of a deal to glance over so quickly and menstruating seems to make more sense in context.

Tony K. wrote:
It's hard to tell with anime. Even in native Japanese audio, most mouth flaps don't always sync perfectly, especially with traditional animation like this (CG is a little better, unless they also motion-capturing, which would make it pretty much perfect, but that's only on rare occasions). She could just be moaning and we're to interpret that they're making love, but to save the voice actress the possible embarrassment of mimicking sexual moans in the recording booth, they just left it to our imagination. Plus, I think it would sound weird to hear such beautiful music and then awkward sounds of sex in-between chord and note progressions.

Ah, good answer! I hadn't thought of that.

Tony K. wrote:
That's a possibility. At this point, he's probably so love and grief stricken after being with her for so long that he considered this a "last stand" and decided to charge head-on kamikaze style. We could interpret him as having nothing left to live for after being conditioned up by her love and psychologically broken by her betrayal (hence the English title "Trust and Betrayal", even though Tsuioku-hen literally translates to "Remembrance Story," so much for theatrics, I guess..). But in his grief, he probably wasn't thinking too clearly to begin with, as evident by the once-again bleeding scar and the fact that the other minions actually managed to beat him up a little.

Yeah, his mind was in a definite chaos, as his words prior to killing Tomoe(accidentally!) indicated. Then again, finding out that the person dearest to you, probably hates you, is a pretty big bomb.

~~

Plus, there's no way you cannot mention the musical score in this. It is so good. I was incredibly impressed with the tact that the developers had on when to use the songs.

Like, for example, when Tomoe and Kenshin first meet, and that song blasts out in chorus - it's just amazing.

And yet, the best use of it has got to be in the ending. It never missed a tune!
First with how well it synced with Kenshin leaving his burning house. Then When Kenshin faces off against Okita and Saito.

When Tomoe embraces him from behind. When he is looking upon the battlefield with a weary and tired expression.
But my favorite is the soft, melancholic one that plays at Hiko's pained expression at seeing Tomoe's grave. Because he knows that, somewhere, his pupil is in pain, suffering.
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wolfenstein wrote:
And yet, the best use of it has got to be in the ending. It never missed a tune!
First with how well it synced with Kenshin leaving his burning house. Then When Kenshin faces off against Okita and Saito.

When Tomoe embraces him from behind. When he is looking upon the battlefield with a weary and tired expression.
But my favorite is the soft, melancholic one that plays at Hiko's pained expression at seeing Tomoe's grave. Because he knows that, somewhere, his pupil is in pain, suffering.

Are you referring to the original or the Director's Cut version? As I mentioned above, the timing of the music and the scenes were a bit different between the two. In the original, the pacing of the music picked up while he was embraced by Tomoe's spirit, while in the DC it was the calm and soothing part right before that. However, in the following scene in the DC, the music picked up at the final battle, syncing perfectly with the climax of the Bakumatsu, which was omitted from the original. I felt that it was better that way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 16