• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Picks Up Over 30 Former AD Vision Titles

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Imperialkat wrote:
Wow. Did Funi get 50+ titles in 2 days?

No, they didn't. They picked up about 30 from the Sojitz/ADV failure, which is massive in itself, and I think they have a few acquisitions to announce that will raise that by a couple.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:
Imperialkat wrote:

No, they didn't. They picked up about 30 from the Sojitz/ADV failure, which is massive in itself, and I think they have a few acquisitions to announce that will raise that by a couple.

Well, I guess to be more correct, they took over the distribution of 50 titles in the past 2 days.
ryoga2pchan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This has been one hell of an emotional rollercoaster for me receintly.
News: Funimation to release select Geneon titles="YEAAHHHA!!". I could barely speak actual words when I read that. I sounded like Eric Cartman when he inherited $1,000,000.
News: ADV to suspend titles="NOOOOOOO!!"
And now the news is Funimation will release those ADV titles. I just hope, like many do, that they will use the same VAs. And maybe use some extra cash to rescue one of their own titles, Kodocha? Please? I promise to buy all your single releases.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Mindless Watcher wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Funi is going to boxset and reap profit off of ADV's hard work.

Interesting point actually. Did ADV actually never own the rights on subs and dubs or did they sell them to save their necks?

And if they never owned them is that generally so?

Generally, from what I've heard, the rights to the dub/sub remain with the Japanese licensor, hence why Japanese re-releases (like the Utawarerumono abd FMP blu-ray discs) contain the English dub and why "license rescues" often come complete with the original dub,

Zin5ki wrote:
After one of the most emotionally exhausting 24 hours I've ever experienced on ANN we've finally got Kanon back. And by the looks of it they might be releasing it my side of the pond, along with Air!

I doubt it. There is no guarantee that ADV/Sojitz had the UK rights to begin with, and even if they did and were now transferred to FUNi, there's no guarantee they will release the series here. Popular opinion at time of airing was that AIR would never get an English release fullstop, so the smaller UK market still has a slim chance at best.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Yes but regardless of whether the Japanese owners want to allow a switch and/or allow bail outs of this nature, ADV/Sojitz were the clear owners of the dubs and translations. For those to be included in the license switch, would they not have to pay for them?

ADV/Sojitz are only the clear owners if the contract states so, and none of us has seen that contact. The article says that the "home video, broadcast, digital, and merchandising" were transferred from ADV to FUNimation. I would say neither of them "owns" the translation any more than a translator would if I paid them to translate something I'd written into another language, even it they retain the credit for it. If either Sojitz or the Japanese licensors retained ownership of the dubs, which is likely, then FUNimation will have access to these materials along with the video and Japanese audio.

Kireek wrote:
Hi i live in the UK and welcome to the NHK volume 1 has been listed for realease from ADV in august...........what now will it be realeased over here by funi or digital lace media??

We don't know. Since LDMS are distributors for ADV who no longer own the UK licence, then most likely the series will be cancelled and released through Revelation unless LDMS can negotiate a deal with FUNi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Akari-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed that ADV didn't get to finish series that they started like Kanon, Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, and The Wallflower. Since Kanon only had one volume left I was really hoping that they could finish it. However, I am really happy that Funimation will finish the series that ADV didn't get to. I just hope that I won't have to buy DVDs of episodes that I already have. If Kanon ends up getting released as a boxset I will buy it regardless as I love that series so much. I love ADV and Funimation both however ADV just wasn't getting the job done. All the delays on the Kanon DVDs were really frustrating. I hope Funimation gets Kanon out really quickly. I had just finally found Kanon volume 5 yesterday. Maybe, now Sgt. Keroro will finally get a DVD release in the R1 market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
ADV/Sojitz are only the clear owners if the contract states so, and none of us has seen that contact. The article says that the "home video, broadcast, digital, and merchandising" were transferred from ADV to FUNimation. I would say neither of them "owns" the translation any more than a translator would if I paid them to translate something I'd written into another language, even it they retain the credit for it. If either Sojitz or the Japanese licensors retained ownership of the dubs, which is likely, then FUNimation will have access to these materials along with the video and Japanese audio.

Interesting if true, though we've seen time and time again through the years that translation and dubs often become sticking points due to the required extra compensation in these types of situations. But like you said, no one really knows what the deal is. Though I can't say that makes me any less nervous, rightly or wrongly. To me what has happened in the last two days is too massive not to get a little nervous over.

I will say that is about as a horrible example as you could have used though. As we aren't talking about translators, but the people whom paid for the translators service. I mean your basically saying that if I pay someone to put a roof on my house, even if they put "roof by RickRolling Roofing" on the house, that the roofer doesn't own the roof. Well duh, of course they don't, I own the roof. I don't know what your point was with that, but it doesn't make any sense to me. I guess you were trying to say if that's in the contract, but like we have seen, often those things are in fact owned by the localizing company.

Either way I am glad things look better for my half empty artboxes. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
Crawly wrote:
Imperialkat wrote:

Well, I guess to be more correct, they took over the distribution of 50 titles in the past 2 days.

I'm sure it took much longer then that honestly. These are just public announcements mind you and them going public about it all. I;m quite positive this all did not happen in 2 days. I would say they're just choosing AX, the largest con in America, to let out all the News. I'm sure they'll announce new titles of their own before the weekend is out as well. Though all this happening in the span of a single year, or just several months, is a feat in itself.

I am worried about my precious Oh My Goddess's future. Now as things stand the OVA will be by AnimEigo, movie by Pioneer/Geneon (now Funi?), season 1 tv by Media Blasters, and season 2 will be home at Funi after being home at ADV. This poor show just can't find a damn stable home to save it's life. I sincerely hope if there is a 3rd tv season in the future Funi does what ADV did when they acquired season 2 initially and use the same dub cast. I also hope the show can finally have a stable home as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
Remember several years ago, how ADV hoarded titles and took them years to finally get around working on 'em? Laughing

Addendum:

Maybe ADV should go back to its roots........................... Back when they first started, remember how they earned to finance their mainstream releases? Razz

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Netstryke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Ladies and Gentlemen, Say hello and kindly bow down to the new Lord and Masters of the Anime World.
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh ho! Now Even Kanon is removed from ADV's hands. Wow, the voltron of ADV has deserted it. How fantastic.

ADV's dead. There's no way they're geting up after this one.

Meenwhile, expect Gunsou to show up on Toonami PDQ.

If you're the same Conan-san who I think you are, I can see why you have a bad rep on a certain anime board in the UK...

In any case, if you were a true anime fan, you'd be wanting ADV to survive instead of going under as they've given us a lot of great anime over the years like Puni Puni Poemi, Excel Saga, Nerima Daikon Brothers, St Seiya [until Toei took the licence away from them], the first two seasons of Sailor Moon, the Sonic Soldier Borgman OAV's [to which I'll always be grateful to those guys! Very Happy], both Gravion series and countless other series.

I don't know why you have such a rabid hatred of ADV but it definitely comes across as being unhealthy.

If there's anybody to blame for ADV's predicament, it would have to be Sojitz for the most part for stabbing them in the back and not giving them the chance to recover although at the same time, ADV are also to blame in a way as they expanded too much by buying too many licences especially in the manga division which is frustrating as there's a lot of good manga that they published that may not get a second chance in English.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
There's two mainly concentrated opinions I have seen while reading through this thread. One is that Funi will be monopolizing the anime market. Two is that they're getting two many titles and if not careful could end up like Geneon and ADV. I agree with one but disagree with the other. However there's other details I would have to add in to what and where on these opinions.

For one, Funi is not monopolizing the anime market. There are other anime companies that to me can hold the edge just as well as Funi. One of them being Bandai. Another thing probably worth mentioning is that Geneon technically is not dead. Hearing from Shawn Kleckner at the Rightstuf panel, Geneon still has its offices open. It's just that they don't have the ability to distribute anymore. And lastly, a Funi staff member told me that the next release of Hellsing Ultimate will have all of the original staff involved for the upcoming OVA IV. So, Funi is only slapping their label onto the title and distributing it. In my beliefs and what I've heard so far at this year's AX. The same then would go for ADV. They have the means to do everything necessary to dub the show and add on the subtitles and everything else for the DVD, they just aren't distributing it.

Now, when you look at what Funi's been doing for the past couple of days and seeing as how they've acquired 50 or titles from two other North American anime companies, it does have me a little worried. Worried that they might indeed have overextended themselves, which could put them in financial difficulties if the worst should happen. Like a lot of people have been saying in this thread though, ADV has finished a good majority of the titles that they let Funi have, so there's probably not an immediate cause to worry about Funi with that. Still, there's always that feeling that can get you worried about the anime market going downhill in North America.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:59 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
After one of the most emotionally exhausting 24 hours I've ever experienced on ANN we've finally got Kanon back. And by the looks of it they might be releasing it my side of the pond, along with Air!

I doubt it. There is no guarantee that ADV/Sojitz had the UK rights to begin with, and even if they did and were now transferred to FUNi, there's no guarantee they will release the series here. Popular opinion at time of airing was that AIR would never get an English release fullstop, so the smaller UK market still has a slim chance at best.

You're probably right. At least I can still hope for R1 thinpacks to import.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Definately interesting but just like with the geneon titles i have worries that they might twist up the Opening for devil may cry and guyver 2005. and there other things i'm concerned as well.Sure the're on a roll now but it might bite them where it hurts in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote
I might be a little late to the replying party, but this is surprising news indeed.

It's probably a little early to be calling it good or bad. If they can pick up all of these ADV titles you would also hope they had a idea, if not a plan, on how they are going to handle it.

Some of the readers might not like Funi seemingly poaching these titles away from ADV, but it is better than those titles completely disappearing.

We've had enough titles not getting finished from Geneon (which is actually getting addressed), but it would not be fun to have that happen again. (Yes, I'm looking at you Kanon, Volume 6)
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Another thing probably worth mentioning is that Geneon technically is not dead. Hearing from Shawn Kleckner at the Rightstuf panel, Geneon still has its offices open. It's just that they don't have the ability to distribute anymore. And lastly, a Funi staff member told me that the next release of Hellsing Ultimate will have all of the original staff involved for the upcoming OVA IV. So, Funi is only slapping their label onto the title and distributing it.

No one cares about that part regardless of how many times it's said. Even when it's Funimation saying it. It's like that on other boards, too.

Quote:
Now, when you look at what Funi's been doing for the past couple of days and seeing as how they've acquired 50 or titles from two other North American anime companies, it does have me a little worried. Worried that they might indeed have overextended themselves...

I don't see any issues here, though. The vast majority of the titles they acquired from ADV have already been released on dvd in their entirety. Funi isn't going to do anything with those titles in terms of production or single dvd releases (with the possible exception of making continuing stock available to retailers). At most, they'll produce box sets later down the line in small increments from already existing materials. There's no work to be done even on most of the incomplete titles since ADV did it already. Funi only has to slap stuff on discs and put stuff up for digital download as they see fit. They've actually saved themselves a lot of time and money doing it this way. And with Geneon, they don't have to do anything either, except get the stuff to retailers. Funi is in great shape with these deals, and it won't overtax the market since these are existing titles rather than new acquisitions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 16