• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Lupus wrote:
Steve, then maybe that would be a perfect time to cater to a young teen audience, the age range old enough to be watching TV then, but young enough to not be going out.

Let's not assume that, they probably would do, because they seem to be animationphobes, but a later timeframe would be the best of both worlds.

We're not going to agree on this. FOX strugles with animation as it is, they aren't going to take a chance of showing kids shows at night.

Quote:
A doujin is drawn, written, printed etc. by a different group of people to those who made the original manga. Additional episodes made by the dub group or spinoff series are written, animated, directed etc. to a different group of people to those who made the original anime.

And that has nothing to do with the fact that 4Kids MADE those episodes. What are you trying to prove here? Just because they aren't the original creators doesn't mean they aren't the one's getting the work done here. You're not making a bit of sense comparing this to a doujin because the point is that they're creating these episodes, there's not other way around it, they're creating them.

Quote:
They'd rather leave it in Japan if it would save them however much they wanted. I'm unsure of exactly how much they pay for these things, but I'm willing to bet it'd be a fair amount, if you're not going to cut out an entire series, why pay for it?

It almost sounds like you'd rather they bought them and never shown them. Why don't we start accusing ADV, Bandai, Geneon, and every other distributer out there for cutting them too since they aren't showing them either. They're there for anyone to pick up, 4Kids had no obligation to pick them up, they don't even fit with the rest of the story, it's 26 episodes of fluff.

Quote:
¬_¬ Yeah. Right. Maybe my post was stupid, maybe you couldn't think of anything to say to it.

I already explained it to you once. Smoking isn't allowed and blood isn't allowed excessivly in children's shows. These are two things that can be easily edited without cutting out entire scenes. This is in no way an indication of how far they'll go with their edits because it's an industry standard. Wait until you've actually seen an episode before complaining about how bad the episodes are.

Quote:
Well, to be honest, I don't really care enough to check it up - it's an argument about bloody anime for Christ's sake! And one that's less civil than any real debate I have ever been in, I'm a local moderator on a largish forum for the board where political, religious and scientific debates take place - I have to check out every single topic to make sure it's civil, that means I go to most of them - I don't take the effort to check up stuff in those arguments, and you honestly expect me to do so in this argument, about anime, that is going to go nowhere, and that I'm only carrying on due to sheer bloodymindedness?

So if you don't care to look this stuff up then there's probably a good chance you're wrong about this? I mean, how can you honestly tell me I'm wrong when you don't even care enough to find out if I'm right. Or maybe you're just afraid you'll be proved wrong... I love how you'll look up all this stuff on Pokemon, but when there's a chance you'll be wrong you can't be bothered to look.

Quote:
I know that parents sometimes let children of 8 watch South Park or 10 year olds see Terminator 2 - but there are just as many people on the opposite end of the spectrum, who don't allow children under the age of 18 to play M rated games or watch R rated movies.

Some do, some don't. If 4Kids can bring in the one's who can they will. If the FCC allows it to be shown then parents will allow their kids to watch it.

Quote:
¬_¬ You seriously don't listen do you? 1) You're saying "it's not safe to assume OP DVDs will not be released if sales are crap" and "it's not safe to assume the dub will be crap" and you automatically assume there will be uncut DVDs? Yes, I know they're all Shounen Jump stuff, but the fact remains, that it's still one occasion this DVD thing, and probably testing the waters to see how these things sell, if they sell bad, no more will come.

What I'm saying is that those uncut DVDs that are coming might not have as much of an effect as you think they do. If the viewers are watching, the requests for uncuts are coming through, and merchandise is selling like crazy then there's a good chance they'll do uncut DVDs no matter how bad the other uncut DVDs sell. It's the flip side of you're argument and holds no less water unless 4Kids or FUNi come out and actually say "If the Shaman King and Yugioh DVDs don't sell well you can kiss all others goodbye." They could even announce uncut OP DVDs coming out tomorrow and that certainly would go against what you said too now wouldn't it? I'm not denying that the coming DVDs could effect other DVDs, I'm saying that there are other factors involved than that.

Quote:
2) You're also assuming that these people will be rich enough to buy a series that will probably have 300+ episodes, with probably 3 episodes a disc.

Ever heard of Dragon Ball? You just described it. The entire series, start to finish, all 3 parts, is 508 episodes, all on DVD here with only 2-3 episodes each. Dragonball Z alone is 291. And that doesn't count movies and specials.

Quote:
Also, if they're European, there's a good chance that the DVDs will not be released where they live, so they'd have to FIND out about it (another problem even for American ones, if you look on TV and see a TV show that looks crap to you (even if it was just a bad dub), you're not going to go out and buy the DVDs, are you?), then pay about £150 odd for a Region 0 DVD player (I know they COULD play it on their DVD ROM, but they may not have that either, and it's not quite the same, is it?) as well as an extra £10 or £20 for importing from a reliable source.

See my point?.

No offence, but that's your problem and another issue all together. Not to mention that they're not at fault for you're added expences. If they're making them available then it's your job to find ways of getting them. Yeah, it sucks if they don't release them over there, but then that wouldn't be any different than how any other company treats the UK market now is it?

Quote:
Eugh ... Jesus ... this is going to be a REAL waste of time ... oh well, nothing to do today anyway...

And I'm on vacation.

Quote:
Okay, I will use two more examples, two which I know are Japanese to begin with...

a) Kirby, Right Back At Ya!
b) Ultimate Muscle

Of course, to actually find out what was cut, I'd have to trawl around the internet to find a good fansite which details what is cut, then find a couple of other ones to confirm it. Therefore, I'll just post a thread on another board and just ask them for links confirming what they say. I'll update this later.

A) Cant imagine too much was cut from Kirby, and what was probably didn't impact the show much if at all.
B) Ultimate Muscle was a certified failure in Japan. It was actually more popular here than there. Anything they did to the series was most certainly for the better.

Quote:
Ah, a decent point, well, I'll need more info about later releases for that - and I'm not willing to go trawling around on google for it...

So I've read...

Quote:
Because ... GASP ... I like to watch good dubs more than I like to watch good subs! And ... GASP! I have friends who only watch dubbed anime.

Wont find me knocking you for that.

Quote:
Blood is minor, yes - but that's not to really say that htye're not going to edit out other things, what about that Whiskey Peak scene where Zoro kills about 100 odd people?

I guess we'll know when they get there.

Quote:
And I know it didn't take place, but the very fact that they even considered it doesn't reflect too well on them, and maybe they just couldn't work it, you know? I haven't seen TMM, but I'd assume by the name that it's based in Tokyo. Walk through Tokyo, and walk through Hollywood, you can tell the difference. They'd have to edit a HELL of a lot there, like, every background.

Maybe, but as others have pointed out, they could have switched it to Paris, but didn't. Again, we'll know what it's like when we get it.

Quote:
To me, it seems as if the only people in this topic are you, me and Stevetheeunuch, maybe this stupid, pointless argument keeps them away? And I assure you, that you really are like speaking to a brick wall yourself, you are STILL saying that I'm assuming a lot by thinking that the dub will be shit, but you're still assuming that the DVDs will be released, if the current ones do well, yes, they probably will, but still. And you are making mistakes, just as many as I am - at the least.

I'd think by now you'd figure out we aren't going to agree on much of this.

Quote:
... look back on your posts, how many times have you said "WHEN" the DVDs are released? My point isn't a very bold assumption, something loses two companies money, or doesn't gain them enough, they don't do it again. Your point is assuming that regardless of how much money they lose from these uncut DVDs, that they'll still make it company policy to get FUNi to make uncut DVDs of all their new shows.

Did I say "when" a lot? I'll have to go back and look. If I did then admit I should be saying "if". I will have to check. I know I said it once in the last reply followed by a " Wink " it was a joke.

Quote:
... and I think I missed a couple of replies there.

"If there were worth replying to I would" - I have the courtesy to reply to every single one of your points, no matter how stupid or laughable they are, and some of them really are - you should be polite enough to do the same.

Alright, repost them and I'll answer them.

Quote:
"You yourself said Yu-Gi-Oh's dub is getting better, right?" - No. I did not say that, if I did say that, then it was a misunderstanding on your part, if you mean I said that the cuts were more extreme earlier on, then I don't actually know that much about how the cuts are now.

Then my mistake (hey, I do admit it when it is).

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Lupus wrote:
Steve, then maybe that would be a perfect time to cater to a young teen audience, the age range old enough to be watching TV then, but young enough to not be going out.

Let's not assume that, they probably would do, because they seem to be animationphobes, but a later timeframe would be the best of both worlds.

We're not going to agree on this. FOX strugles with animation as it is, they aren't going to take a chance of showing kids shows at night.

To put it simply: anime, of any type, on an American broadcast network in prime time = ratings suicide.

Anime, with adults, is, relatively-speaking, a lot more popular now than it was a decade ago, but, still, in real terms, all it means is that, instead of being underground, now it's just "niche", and far too niche to get the kind of ratings they'd need to survive off of cable.

I'm sure FUNi and 4Kids would love to get their hands on some of that big network prime-time money if it were available to them, but the networks ain't selling those slots to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lupus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
This argument bores me, let's just say that you are a hopeless optimist and I am a hopeless pessimist, we both thing we're right and we both thing we're realists, and leave it that that.
Mr. Smee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:56 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Oh noes you wont be able to steals it no more how dare they!

*ahem* you're not entitled to anything, so quit complaining (one piece wont be finished for a while anyway, and nabbing it while its in the middle increases chances of ti getting here quicker)

's not stealing if its not avalible to us....so there
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:19 am Reply with quote
Mr. Smee wrote:

Learn Japanese and get a Region 2 DVD player. It sure as hell is available to you, it's just a tad expensive.

Video piracy is video piracy. Video piracy is theft....so there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lupus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. Smee wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Oh noes you wont be able to steals it no more how dare they!

*ahem* you're not entitled to anything, so quit complaining (one piece wont be finished for a while anyway, and nabbing it while its in the middle increases chances of ti getting here quicker)

A few points.

1) Legally it is.
2) It's not that hard to find the fansubs anyway.
3) Pirate but buy the uncensored DVDs if they come out. (big if, no matter what anyone else says, bad sales current ones, no followups)
4) Ask on a forum that does not look down on fansubbing. These people seem just as mindlessly anti-fansubs of any kind as the stereotypical anime geek is mindlessly anti-anything but fansubs.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Lupus wrote:
4) Ask on a forum that does not look down on fansubbing. These people seem just as mindlessly anti-fansubs of any kind as the stereotypical anime geek is mindlessly anti-anything but fansubs.

Who's anti-fansubs? The only time I truely see people giving fansubs a hard time is when a show is licensed, and rightfully so. Hell, there's a lot of reviews here that are based on fansubs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, I can understand why ANN shies away from fansubs... It's not dissimilar to how our anime club is run. We want corporate support from the industry, and that means leaving our fansubs at home... so to speak. While we still show some unlicensed material at the club, we don't go into much detail (not that we get asked) on how to get them. Privately, I'm sure that most of the staff does get some fansubbed material here and there, but it doesn't mean they will discuss it publically even if they do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lupus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
Well, I can understand why ANN shies away from fansubs... It's not dissimilar to how our anime club is run. We want corporate support from the industry, and that means leaving our fansubs at home... so to speak. While we still show some unlicensed material at the club, we don't go into much detail (not that we get asked) on how to get them. Privately, I'm sure that most of the staff does get some fansubbed material here and there, but it doesn't mean they will discuss it publically even if they do.

I mean the userbase Smile

Any major anime site cannot actively support fansubbing any more than ... say, Gamespot, could support game piracy.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, you need to understand that the userbase shies away from fansubs primarily because the forum itself is regulated... and it's not that the forum is so much anti-fansub as that it is just not appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Satsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:56 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* This thread has just gotten ridiculous. I think there's a lot of misplaced anger here.

The way I see it is this:

1. Most of the fans (including myself) are just mad that 4Kids got it period. We know that they have to act under FCC rules and that they aim their shows to a younger audience, so they cut the show to shreds and try to make it "kid-friendly" if it wasn't already. It's not their fault for the regulations imposed on them, but they chose to target kids rather than adults. Talk to nearly any One Piece fan before this and asked them what company they wanted to license One Piece and they would say "Any company other than 4Kids." Because the other companies are more focused on aiming at the core fans rather than the children of America's households. However, now that 4Kids has gotten OP, we are bitter. We've cooled down a great deal since the news, but we are likely to be severly annoyed for the duration. There is nothing we can do except write letters begging for an uncut, japanese language track option on any pending DVD releases. But we certainly don't expect 4Kids to do anything spectacular with the series, they'll fuss with it to suit their needs. And that is aggravating.

2. Yes, One Piece is a kids show. There is no getting around that. (although I tend to think of it as a show for all ages). However, it is a kids show that originated in Japan, and the Japanese are a LOT less uptight about shielding their kids from the horrors of the world. To them sex and violence are parts of life that are no use hiding from. In America parents continually want to shield their children from anything "damaging" to their psyche. Thus the culture-clash. One Piece is a kids show, yes, but it is a different kind of kids show. Which is why it really doesn't belong on Saturday Morning cartoons. (it's actually shown at like 7:30pm on Sundays in Japan). I personally think One Piece would have been better suited to an evening slot on the Saturday Toonami line-up.
LuppyLuptonium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:21 am Reply with quote
Heh, heh.... A few of you may rember me, a few of you wont..... Anyway Im happy about this. Let me be straight with you all. I like BAD DUBS.... It is a guilty pleasure, I have most of the DBZ movies and a small portion of the tv series...... I like them Bad. But I also only watch a show when there is also the option of subtitles... I know One Piece will have subs...... Heres why.... A year ago Shonen Jump was released. It contained One Pieve Shaman King and Yu Gi Oh among others...... Shortly after, the rights to Shaman King went to 4kids..... The dub was horrible, but I didn't care, I already had fansubs.... Anyway something odd was in the opening credits to Shaman King..... In the poorly done opening sequence, 2 words appeared in the title.... "Shonen Jump's"..... This made me wonder, why would Shonen Jump have an ad at the beginning of the series? Why would 4kids bring attention to the one place where the product was uncut (well mostly) Why would they make people look a the real story of Shaman King??? It was Baffling..... Baffling until the announcement..... Funimation is releasing Shaman King and Yu Gi Oh subbewde.... It all made sence... the reason the "Shonen Jump's" a[pears in the title is because FUNIMATION IS PROBLY USING THAT OPENING...... After wretching at that fact for a few moments, I realised something.... 4 Kids has ONE PIECE..... OP is actually one of my absolute favs..... So here we have it... 4kids Is licincing anime, changing it for TV.... Then sublicinncing the sub rights toi Funi so that it is released to a TOTALLY NEW DEMOGRAPHIC FOR 4KIDS..... One Funimation knows well...... OTAKU!!!!!!!!!!

]Of corse they probly wont announc anything on the series until after it is shown on TV for a bit (probly a season)..... and just to insure that OP does get the sub treatment, I hope everyone buys Yu Gi Oh and Shaman King...... Im buying Yu Gi Oh because I know how cool it really is, and i am buying Shaman king so i could watch the dub while having the subtitles up just so I could make fun of it....

I cant wait until OP gets released on DVD!!!
Lupus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
LuppyLuptonium wrote:
Heh, heh.... A few of you may rember me, a few of you wont..... Anyway Im happy about this. Let me be straight with you all. I like BAD DUBS.... It is a guilty pleasure, I have most of the DBZ movies and a small portion of the tv series...... I like them Bad. But I also only watch a show when there is also the option of subtitles... I know One Piece will have subs...... Heres why.... A year ago Shonen Jump was released. It contained One Pieve Shaman King and Yu Gi Oh among others...... Shortly after, the rights to Shaman King went to 4kids..... The dub was horrible, but I didn't care, I already had fansubs.... Anyway something odd was in the opening credits to Shaman King..... In the poorly done opening sequence, 2 words appeared in the title.... "Shonen Jump's"..... This made me wonder, why would Shonen Jump have an ad at the beginning of the series? Why would 4kids bring attention to the one place where the product was uncut (well mostly) Why would they make people look a the real story of Shaman King??? It was Baffling..... Baffling until the announcement..... Funimation is releasing Shaman King and Yu Gi Oh subbewde.... It all made sence... the reason the "Shonen Jump's" a[pears in the title is because FUNIMATION IS PROBLY USING THAT OPENING...... After wretching at that fact for a few moments, I realised something.... 4 Kids has ONE PIECE..... OP is actually one of my absolute favs..... So here we have it... 4kids Is licincing anime, changing it for TV.... Then sublicinncing the sub rights toi Funi so that it is released to a TOTALLY NEW DEMOGRAPHIC FOR 4KIDS..... One Funimation knows well...... OTAKU!!!!!!!!!!

]Of corse they probly wont announc anything on the series until after it is shown on TV for a bit (probly a season)..... and just to insure that OP does get the sub treatment, I hope everyone buys Yu Gi Oh and Shaman King...... Im buying Yu Gi Oh because I know how cool it really is, and i am buying Shaman king so i could watch the dub while having the subtitles up just so I could make fun of it....

I can't wait until OP gets released on DVD!!!

You like bad dubs and you are 100% sure that there are going to be uncut OP DVDs despite the fact that that has only ever happened once to date?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:20 am Reply with quote
For those of you who say one piece is aimed at teenagers or older, you might need to look at the encyclopedia. It says that one piece is aimed at older children which is probably 8-13 years old. If it was for teens or adults it would have said "Teenagers". Anyway, I think 4kids license anime that is popular with kids in japan. But before they license, they should remember that Japan and many countries in Asia are less strict about violence and blood before licensing it.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
monkeyDluffy4 wrote:
Everyone can see that I'm a huge One Piece fan from my name and avatar, but I'm kind of...*glances around hesitantly*...happy...*ducks and covers* that One Piece was lisenced by 4Kids. They did a pretty good job with Shaman King, and if the DVDs will eventually be released uncut by FUni, then it's all fine. And FUni with all of its projects wouldn't have got around to dubbing OP for a long time. Besides, I'll be able to watch Monkey D Luffy, and crew on TV in the morning! Very Happy Even though the Openings and Endings WILL be changed for the TV release and many names will be changed, and Sanji will take some Nicotene, One Piece was LISCENSED. I can now legitly buy and watch my favorite series whenever I want even if the dub is a horrrible hack-job. Is this what they mean by love being blind? And deaf? And a bad sense of taste? Wink

No,you're just more reasonable than most posters around here.For the record,I don't mind what 4kids does at all and I can't believe people actually get worked up over the removal of Sanji's cigarette,as if THAT were oh so important to the storyline.I don't if there'll be any name changes,so let's wait and see,huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15