• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 15-25

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oroboro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Mechanical Horror wrote:

I wouldn't call it subtle. SAO has a very straight-forward plot. My gripe with Kirito as an anti-social loner is that I wanted to see a stronger before and after shot. Perhaps a bit closer to what was shown in Btoom.

While SAO's writing is pretty straightforward and downright heavy handed in a lot of places (See: Sugou), there are a few areas where things are handled subtlety, characterization being one of them.

Quote:

Kirito's reason for abandoning Klein in the first episode was that Klein would not abandon his friends. Kirito decides that more people would be simply cause problems and they would probably get less EXP as a larger group. So they went their separate ways.

I can see how you would interpret Kirito's actions as anti-social but I don't think that's what was intended. I thought that being anti-social would be a little more blatant and I was apparently wrong about that. My apologies.

Kirito abandoned Klein because he was selfish, and wanted to rush ahead of everyone to gain an advantage for himself, and because he was afraid of the responsibility of taking care of other people. There was absolutely nothing stopping him from taking it slowly and carefully in the beginning, even if the beginner fields would be overcrowded at first. In fact, that's exactly what Klein went and did with his friends, and they never lost a single person in their small guild.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

While SAO's writing is pretty straightforward and downright heavy handed in a lot of places (See: Sugou), there are a few areas where things are handled subtlety, characterization being one of them.

Indeed, SAO is so subtle in its characterization that it often seems as if there's no characterization at all.

Oh wait, there isn't any characterization at all.
Oroboro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Indeed, SAO is so subtle in its characterization that it often seems as if there's no characterization at all.

~Without love, it cannot be seen. ~
Mechanical Horror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mechanical Horror wrote:
pointlessly omitted

So him being so concerned about Asuna's welfare that he asks her to stay behind on the Level 75 floor raid - something he clearly did for love, and not because he thought Asuna had skills that weren't up to snuff - isn't a change, even though he hadn't done that (or at least with that motivation) in any previous case counts for nothing on the character development front, eh? Riiight.

It doesn't add anything new to Kirito's character. His primary concern is Asuna and that's it. Ideally, a character should constantly change and grow. Past a certain point nothing new is added to Kirito's character. He becomes static and uninteresting.

Quote:

[Yui is] Not a plot device. Once her personality gets established, though, there's no need to do anything with it.

Yui exists to save Kirito and Asuna from a certain enemy in the first arc and to act as a guide and to help Kirito in the battle with the Salamanders in the second arc. Yui's primary purpose is to advance the plot. To make sure Kirito can get out of a tight spot. Yui lacks what I look for in a character: goals and concerns. She blindly does what is in her, "parents," best interests or what is requested of her so she is more of an in-game item than a character.

Quote:
...there's a simple and very good reason why we don't know about these characters' stories beyond the game: because the unwritten rules established early on in the setting state that you don't bring outside matters (or even identities!) up and talk about them in-game. Thus any discussion about what any of these characters were like IRL would have been a violation of accepted standards...

I've seen other people asking for what you're asking for in the character development sense, but again, character development is not the focus of this series, and forcing it in when it isn't needed can throw off pacing and waste time.

All stories are character driven. I completely disagree with the very idea that additional character development (as long as it's properly executed) is a waste of time. Some extra character development can't hurt the series more than the second arc did and I've given reasons for why it might have helped the series. Also, why couldn't a character have an emotional break-down and start crying for their mother (especially the kids at the orphanage)? Yes, social norms are powerful and I suppose you could say that they've adjusted to their new way of life but simply leaving your previous life completely behind strikes me as unreasonable.

Quote:
Quote:
My point is that those 300 players are an afterthought to the characters and to the audience. They're barely touched upon. When Kirito finally rescues Asuna, she doesn't even bother to mention them. . .

Because Suguo had already told Kirito about them earlier in that same scene, and she was present and fully aware of that. Actually double-check your details first if you're going to lob these kind of complaints. Now, if you had just left it at, "the 300 are an afterthought to the audience" then I might not have protested.

I still don't recall any actions by Kirito to log them out. The focus was on Asuna, not anybody else. Am I overlooking an important detail yet again? Probably. I was rather irritated with SAO at this point which didn't help. I also have no desire to immediately return to a series that I've had this many issues with. Maybe later, but not now.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Mechanical Horror wrote:

I still don't recall any actions by Kirito to log them out. The focus was on Asuna, not anybody else. Am I overlooking an important detail yet again? Probably. I was rather irritated with SAO at this point which didn't help. I also have no desire to immediately return to a series that I've had this many issues with. Maybe later, but not now.

No, you are not.

Kirito did not even seem interested in cutting down Asuna and covering her before he beat up Sugou.

Honestly, that would have been even better. At that point, Sugou was so unthreatening to Kirito that he could take the time to get Asuna down and console up a shirt for her before finally delivering the finishing blow to Sugou.

(also the entire sequence of Kirito beating Sugou was completely gratuitous and unnecessary)
Oroboro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

No, you are not.

Kirito did not even seem interested in cutting down Asuna and covering her before he beat up Sugou.

Honestly, that would have been even better. At that point, Sugou was so unthreatening to Kirito that he could take the time to get Asuna down and console up a shirt for her before finally delivering the finishing blow to Sugou.

(also the entire sequence of Kirito beating Sugou was completely gratuitous and unnecessary)

I actually just re-watched episode 10, and what Kirito says to her there is pretty much a direct callback to what she says to him after rescuing him from Kuradeel.

"Just hold on a bit, okay? This won't take long."
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mechanical Horror wrote:
It doesn't add anything new to Kirito's character. His primary concern is Asuna and that's it.

He's showing behaviors that he didn't show before, feelings that he hadn't shown before, and "it doesn't add to his character?" Good god, what do you expect? What do you define as "character development?" I'm really starting to suspect a certain degree of prejudice here. Granted, Kirito isn't the best-developed character we've ever seen, but you won't even acknowledge the developments that he does have.

Quote:
Yui exists to save Kirito and Asuna from a certain enemy in the first arc and to act as a guide and to help Kirito in the battle with the Salamanders in the second arc. Yui's primary purpose is to advance the plot. To make sure Kirito can get out of a tight spot. Yui lacks what I look for in a character: goals and concerns. She blindly does what is in her, "parents," best interests or what is requested of her so she is more of an in-game item than a character.

No, she doesn't do it blindly; she does it because she regards Kirito and Asuna as her parents (something which is very clearly-established), loves them, and wants to help them out. That indicates more personality than just being a "plot device." Like it or not, she meets every requirement for being an actual character, not just a plot device.

And I can't believe that I even need to have a debate about something like this. . .

Quote:
All stories are character driven.

Totally and completely incorrect, and mounds of literature exists to contradict this point. By definition, character-driven stories are ones where the characters take center stage and drive the plot. Plot-driven stories are ones where the story is more important than the individual characters. Action-driven stories are ones where action takes precedence over plot or character development. This is one good article that I found online which clearly delineates the difference between characters and plot-driven stories.

Now, which one SAO qualifies as is, I'll admit, debatable.

Quote:
I completely disagree with the very idea that additional character development (as long as it's properly executed) is a waste of time.

When it bogs down a story that isn't a character-driven story, it's a waste of time no matter how well-executed it is.

Quote:
Also, why couldn't a character have an emotional break-down and start crying for their mother (especially the kids at the orphanage)?

Because then people who are complaining now would instead be complaining about it being trite and/or ham-fisted.

Quote:
I still don't recall any actions by Kirito to log them out. The focus was on Asuna, not anybody else. Am I overlooking an important detail yet again?

What you're overlooking is Kirito's state of mind at the time. The woman he regards as his wife has just been freed, so his first priority is - naturally - to put Yui at ease and then go out and meet her in the real world, make sure she really did get out this time. Is it really so inconsistent or incomprehensible that he wouldn't be giving the 300 a second thought at that point? Besides, that got dealt with in good time anyway.

Honestly, I have to wonder if some anime fans aren't getting so wrapped up in details like character development and such that they aren't paying attention to things like dramatic timing anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Oroboro wrote:

I actually just re-watched episode 10, and what Kirito says to her there is pretty much a direct callback to what she says to him after rescuing him from Kuradeel.

"Just hold on a bit, okay? This won't take long."

Yeah, and if he were strung up from the ceiling half-naked, that might mean something.

Oh yeah, and in that case, remind me again who got to land the finishing blow on Kuradeel?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
everyone is just just hung up on the strangest things.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

SEVERAL of us pointed out the characterization to you in DETAIL.
Right now, you are basically doing nothing more than trolling us.

=_=

Come on, aren't you better than that?

@MechanicalHorror: Kirito is indeed meant to be an anti-social character. Even if the anime doesn't rub it in your face, the novel is pretty blatant about it in this quote from his narrative:

From Chapter 2 of Volume 1 Aincrad:

Kirito:
Quote:
To tell the truth, I didn't get along with people in real life; in games, perhaps even less so. During beta testing, I got to know a couple of people, but I didn't get close enough to anyone to actually call them a friend.

@willag: Welcome to the insanity of the SAO fandom and anti-fandom. Please enjoy the ride. Anime hyper
(I too was able to pick up on that Kirito-kun was not a people-person just from those two episodes!)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Honestly, I have to wonder if some anime fans aren't getting so wrapped up in details like character development and such that they aren't paying attention to things like dramatic timing anymore.

The problem is that a big thing in SAO was the romance between Kirito and Asuna, and if you want me to care about a romance, you're gonna have to give me two characters I give a damn about. And a Romance story almost by definition is going to require heavy lifting on the character side of things.

Now, I have no issue with a show where characters aren't really the focus (Girls und Panzer, for a random example), but people are trying to have it both ways with SAO, and I'm not buying it.
Wesson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:25 am Reply with quote
I’m surprised this review was as generous as it was (although not surprised with the mediocre to poor review the first 7 episodes got. Popularity seems to be a death sentence when it comes to anime nowadays). I still can’t understand what was going through the writers mind when they came up with this arc, they took away the two parts that made the show intriguing: Asuna and the play-or-die video game aspect.

And because of this they had to scrap Kirito’s individual-against-the-masses disposition. I noticed this in the first arc, tensions were so high that Kirito was scorned just because he was a beta tester and you saw the effects it had on his character (perhaps wearing the black trench coat was a little too on the nose, though). You kind of saw similar character changes in Klein as well. But in the second arc they took away the possibility of in-game death which subsequently, eliminated all the pressure and tension the first arc had. It’s a cautionary tale I guess.
Mechanical Horror

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mechanical Horror wrote:
It doesn't add anything new to Kirito's character. His primary concern is Asuna and that's it.

He's showing behaviors that he didn't show before, feelings that he hadn't shown before, and "it doesn't add to his character?" Good god, what do you expect? What do you define as "character development?" I'm really starting to suspect a certain degree of prejudice here. Granted, Kirito isn't the best-developed character we've ever seen, but you won't even acknowledge the developments that he does have.

I have mentioned how they managed to use Sachi to give Kirito some drive that was not present in the first volume of the LN. So that's an improvement. I also think that some of the others are correct in characterizing Kirito as a loner, which I did not think of when I watched the show. So , Kirito learning to open up to someone is a big deal. As is Asuna being more open and finding something to care about. But going into the second arc, their is nothing new added to Kirito or Asuna's characters. Which is why I think that character development for the show, overall, isn't very good. 11 episodes is a good chunk of time. Yet the show squanders it bringing little of anything new or interesting to the table. If it had ended sooner, there would have been fewer problems and I might have complained less.

Quote:
Quote:
Also, why couldn't a character have an emotional break-down and start crying for their mother (especially the kids at the orphanage)?

Because then people who are complaining now would instead be complaining about it being trite and/or ham-fisted.

The show is already ham-fisted. Just look at Kirito and Suguha. Kirito breaking down and crying about Asuna is ham-fisted as is the scene were Suguha goes on about how they're not actually siblings. You'll probably disagree but to me, it certainly was.

Quote:
Quote:
I still don't recall any actions by Kirito to log them out. The focus was on Asuna, not anybody else. Am I overlooking an important detail yet again?

What you're overlooking is Kirito's state of mind at the time. The woman he regards as his wife has just been freed, so his first priority is - naturally - to put Yui at ease and then go out and meet her in the real world, make sure she really did get out this time. Is it really so inconsistent or incomprehensible that he wouldn't be giving the 300 a second thought at that point? Besides, that got dealt with in good time anyway.

Inconsistent with Kirito's character? Not in the slightest. But they matter so little that those 300 players might as well have been cut from the story altogether. They contribute less to the plot than the supporting cast and are clearly a poor attempt to give the second arc some punch. They're fat, not meat.

I've said my piece. I've given my reasons why I disliked the series. I was wrong in places and I was corrected (For the record, everyone saying that Kirito was a loner is correct, I just didn't see it). But this doesn't change my overall opinion of the show. Am I biased? Of course. It would be foolish to say that I wasn't. Regardless, the show failed to make me care about Kirito and Asuna, which makes the other problems more apparent. Strangely enough, I don't hate the show as much as when I first posted. But I'm tired of arguing at this point. Is it possible to agree to disagree and be done with it?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Oh yeah, and in that case, remind me again who got to land the finishing blow on Kuradeel?

Well, that does recall something he'd said earlier in the story - he's a solo player so losing his green icon for a while doesn't make much difference to him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Well, that does recall something he'd said earlier in the story - he's a solo player so losing his green icon for a while doesn't make much difference to him.

Which is why it would have been far more meaningful for Asuna to deliver the blow.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16