• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
Ha! Take that, Crowlia!

*pthhhhhhhbbbbbbbtttt* (<---my attempt at recreating, in letters, the sound of an oral "raspberry")
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Mega interpretive rant momentspoiler[Throughout the series, Akari is endlessly described as being "as bright as the sun" maybe it makes sense in universe and her association with the Sun card, but character wise I rarely felt that Akari was NEVER exceptionally more compassionate (outside of saying "spare the daemonia so we can listen to them") compared to say any of the other cast let alone "bright as the sun" (obviously trying to play tropes on say most female leads in a magical girl series),
Trying to show off that Seira was supposed to be "cold as ice" felt more like she was simply being the cool under pressure leader (and its funny more than a few reference BRS so late as her character design borrows a few motifs from said character) when supposedly Seira had an epiphany about not being a jerk I honestly couldn't read the supposed change in outlook according to her character actions without her pointing it out, at the time (when she was chasing the were wolf Luna) it could be interpreted (at least as far as Cereberum was concerned) that she is greedy/selfish and only wanted THE POWAH back, however that is a different negative trait from what the show outright tells out what her supposed negative trait is that she is a loner and doesn't let people get or be close due to her traumatic Spiderman has Failed past.

Ginka, even though she is supposed to be the most "well balanced" one acted more akin to the bubbly Magical girl lead than the actual lead, part of it might be the acting but there was directional choice with the character and the staffs interpretation of temperance ended up overshadowing the main group of girls, which is the REAL issue with Ginka garnering a bit too much screen time early on (and for me at least the best character establishment among ALL the cast), so they could play the "trauma inducing early death" card.

Luna, for what was done with her was probably played most efficiently, but the issue is that her part is that she was a support character even though she was acting prominently as a supposed 4th main lead.
If we assume Luna was only meant to be support, then there can be real problem found with Luna, but if we assume she is suppose to be a bit more then her character execution is flawed as simply being a brainwash target does not automatically mean you are automatically lead material.

And last but not least our "good" villain Cereberum, the thing with villains is that they get to openly manipulate the heros, but the problem is that for the most part Cereherum didn't understand the concept of failing in any sense, even when his main plan with trying to break Akari failed he effectively shrugged and roughly said "whatever, i'll kill you now" yet for all the set up before hand with backroom deals in the real world one would take from implication of the build up he was some sort of master planner.
Perhaps that is the real reveal for season 2, electric bugaloo, that Cereberum was just an overhyped lieutenant mook (I wonder where we have seen such a concept before) and that Akari's REAL father is some sort of interpretably grey morality thinking daemonia that just wants to change the status quo with the assist of Akari's power.]

That was my rant, and I am certain more than a few of you will disagree.

Animation wise, Day Break was undoubtedly interesting to watch, circumstantially I did not find my self caring enough for the main cast to be swept away as a number of responses have displayed.

For me it is average/above average show (which should have been a great show if I felt for the characters as some of the other viewers aparently had), I would not be surprised if there is another season.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
^ I think my previous response accounts for most of what I think in regard to your positions on the girls. However, you should also break up your spoiler paragraphs with multiple spoiler tags. When you tag a whole bunch of paragraphs with one massive spoiler tag, it becomes hard to read.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
^ I think my previous response accounts for most of what I think in regard to your positions on the girls. However, you should also break up your spoiler paragraphs with multiple spoiler tags. When you tag a whole bunch of paragraphs with one massive spoiler tag, it becomes hard to read.

If I were to go into detail about why my perspective has such contention with your noted post, I would easily end up with over a page in typed response referencing several other series just in attempt to clarify in detail why I have a disconnect with Day Break.

So we are simply going to have to agree that we disagree on how we view the series to save time and keep it civil.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I rated this show Good. It never blew me away or anything but I found it dependably entertaining. I liked the gals and invested in their BFF-ness.

Not sure if I'll eventually buy this or not. Having just watched it, the desire is low, but one never knows how one will feel years from now, does one?

yeah, this is exactly how I feel about the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
That is a really good post ChibiKangaroo, and I agree with many of your points. The idea that the show is predictable has really been rather ridiculous, most likely an attempt to give a word to something they disliked, it has arguably been less predictable than the average anime.

I think some might complain that Akari all of a sudden saying that there werespoiler[ things that Akari disliked about her cousin seemed to come out of nowhere, but I think this was slightly on purpose. It is human to have dislikes about other people, and up to now Akari had tried to ignore that she had this side], that is actually pretty BRS right there. Akari was not just spoiler[magically popular with everyone, if you paid attention you would notice that she tried to get into everyone's business, and that was the true divide between Fuyuna and her].

Something that fits very well into the tarot theme is whether we can if any of these girls were wrong, and the idea of tarot is that cards predict a different challenge, none of them really being truly less good than others: Was Akari wrong for getting into everyone's personal problems that might actually hurt the person? Was Seira wrong for believing in personal strength tht might look down on others weakness? Was Ginka wrong for having a somewhat balanced opinions that might have her ignore whether something is right or wrong? Was Luna wrong for holding onto dreams that eventually lead a split between her reason and desires? Was Fuyuna wrong for holding back and thinking, which lead to her overthinking the situation?

I just took a look at some tarot meanings, and there are some interesting things.
The Sun: Upright: Fun, warmth, success, positivity, vitality Reversed: Temporary depression, lack of success
The Temperance: Upright: Balance, moderation, patience, purpose, meaning Reversed: Imbalance, excess, lack of long-term vision
The Moon: Upright: Illusion, fear, anxiety, insecurity, subconscious Reversed: Release of fear, unhappiness, confusion
The Star: Upright: Hope, spirituality, renewal, inspiration, serenity Reversed: Lack of faith, despair, discouragement
looks a little like their character arcs.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
who else noticed the one person hammering in that screw?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
who else noticed the one person hammering in that screw?

At first glance, that was what I was presuming that he was doing, but I didn't notice a spot for a screwdriver to poke. Was it a bolt? There are some nails with "threading/teeth/something" which are designed to make it harder for the nails to pull out of wood.
Bango

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
There are some nails with "threading/teeth/something" which are designed to make it harder for the nails to pull out of wood.

This is true. They're meant to bear much more weight and movement than a standard nail, so they get used in larger wooden structures. Nowadays most structures like that use steel but that wouldn't be very stylish now, would it? Personally I'd love a steel framed mansion that simply had the coating look of old wood.

Basically, large wooden structures move due to wind, gravity, age of the wood or even shifts in the ground. When the nails holding something is loosened to a certain point (about 2/3rds of the nail length) it won't hold it any longer. This is often the cause of collapsed roofing. Different types of threaded nails stay in the wood a lot tighter and don't get moved around as easily by natural forces, thus making the structure sturdier.

For more information consult the CRCA, or your nation's guild of roofing contractors.Very Happy

Also I forgot to mention about Akari's spoiler[prehensile hair move]. That was extremely cool and unexpected. I was a little let down by Seira's biggest attack but I guess it still fit her well enough. I guess I was expecting more of a spoiler[single strike massive shot, like a colossal ice missile]. Not that the actual one was bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting. +0 points, -0 points. But Akari's was totally +3 (for cool and unexpected while still fitting)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 (OVA)

So the OVA starts out from when Akari was taken in by her aunt and uncle, and they spoiler[are rather impressed that she can stay so bright]. But Fuyuna could spoiler[see that Akari was hurting and she helped get her feelings out]. This OVA I think is maybe a year or so before the main series, and follows Fuyuna and Luna, two of the spoiler[major characters of the series that are close to Akari and eventually turn into Daemonia].

Fuyuna actually spoiler[helped Akari, at this point it was Akari that needed the protecting], although as it goes along everyone spoiler[comments on how great Akari is, and Akari starts doing the protecting]. A story Fuyuna writes spoiler[does not quite get good from her friends who can not understand it, and they seem to start choosing Akari over her]. Meanwhile Luna has just been spoiler[brought into fighting Daemonia, but she just cannot overcome her fear and requires having the others protecting her]. Luna even spoiler[ends up locked up just like Akari was because she refused to fight], which I think was mention in the series at one point, which adds some thoughts of how spoiler[Luna visited Akari then].

Fuyuna and Luna actually spoiler[cross paths at one point, although somewhat indirectly]. Luna accidentally spoiler[stumbles upon Fuyuna's book that others found gloomy and could not understand], but Luna finds that it sounds spoiler[just like her, and maybe finds that she is not as alone]. Maybe both of them were quite similar, and both of their transformations were meant to be compared. Luna eventually feels that she is spoiler[in a situation where she has to act, she stops the Daemonia who was about to attack Akari, who she does not know at that point]. Fuyuna is angry at Akari spoiler[putting herself into the dangerous situation], but also depressed that spoiler[Akari is so strong to do what she did while she could not have]. The OVA finishes as Fuyuna spoiler[flicks through her newly purchased notebook] that Akari will later use to spoiler[try and understand her cousin, and the villain looks on, seeing his target].

I rather enjoyed this OVA, Fuyuna barely appeared in the series, but as a fellow introvert I can actually sympathise with her probably more so than Akari. Not saying that I think what she does later is right or that I don't understand what Akari goes through, but I get her character now, and actually like it. It was also good to get more of Luna character out, how she actually had an even harder time before, and how she has changed by the end of the season. I might note that all the young girls seemed to have a higher pitched voice to show that they were younger, which sounded a little off. I think they were also a little shorter too, but this fact seemed a little strange as they also seemed to wear slightly smaller version of what they wore in the series. I loved listening to the music again.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote
Is there any legal way to watch the OVA online? Or will I have to wait for AoA to release it and hope it's not insanely expensive?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Not insanely expensive? Wow, Dessa, you really are an optimist.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
Hey, I said I'm hoping. Not expecting.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I finally got to see this OVA. Or rather, I didn't know it'd come out. One drawback to not following anime news is being late to the party a lot of times. The show being under 3 damn names didn't help my search:(

So, Il Sole Extra Bobblehead Edition was actually pretty cool. It showed us more on pretty much all aspects of the show. I still think it could use an s2 though. I also appreciate how it has a token shower scene but no actual nudity. Everyone here knows I love T&A but I think this art style would be a bit weird with it on the more mature-bodied girls. Though I was half expecting them to include Etia and Ariel for completeness sake.

Speaking of mature-bodied it got really hard to tell how old people were supposed to be because of the art style. So I checked the website and noticed Ginka is older than Luna/Akari/Fuyuna (I forget if I already knew that or not). So I kind of stopped caring about sorting it all out at that point. But the shot of Luna in the office with her superiors looked really weird. Like the foreground characters and furniture were completely out of scale with the stuff in the back of the room. http://i.imgur.com/SDIHGu2.jpg

And in good ole Il Sole style we get a spoiler["These two will help you train." "I can't do it." DUNGEON TIME!!!] I couldn't stop laughing. Damnit, Etia you're supposed to be the good cop.

All in all though I'm glad this existed, it was nice to hear my favourite track from the OST again and I'm happy it didn't waste my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15