• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Collect 'Em All

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Over the last two years, my collection has really exploeded after buying an Akira DVD in 2004.

Here is my shelves from a month ago.
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/001.jpg
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/002.jpg
cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/003.jpg
cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/004.jpg
cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/005.jpg
cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/006.jpg

And here is what I have so far gotten since these were taken.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/1010359o.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/1010363z.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/1010365i.jpg/

I have a running list going on what is OOP and what I want. I have started to knock stuff that list recently. If I can give a tip, if it is OOP, check local Anime store's websites around the US. You will be surprised on what they have.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't really own anything rare, mostly just run of the mill stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Berserk. I own part 1s of Gantz, DBZ and Bleach (back when I liked it). Other than that my bookshelf is actually dedicated to books.

I don't really spend all that much money on anime nowadays, most of it goes towards my video game habits Razz
DifferentD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and seeing what other people have been looking for as well as hearing about the rare items you have all been able to collect. ^^ I'm pretty new to collecting anime (only been collecting for about a year) and there are already things that I had no idea were going about of print that I wish I'd been able to buy.

There are plenty of series that I wish I could get that I either can't find or can't afford at this point such as... Hellsing Ultimate, Sailor Moon, You're Under Arrest.. and the list goes on ^^;

But I will say I'm proud of the few "rare" series that my fiance and I do have..

Karin, Please Teacher, Ergo Proxy (was very excited to find this for $30), Hand Maid May (w/ box and figure), Negima! complete (which I didn't think was rare but have seen the price going up for some reason) all 10 vols of GTO (which if it's not rare yet I'm sure it will be soon enough), Fate Stay Night (vols + art box w/ limited edition clock), When They Cry (grabbed the last one that Amazon was selling) and the complete xxxholic w/ art box (I realize the series may not be rare but the box sure is pricey)

Also for manga we've recently completed collecting the original Viz Graphic Novel versions of Battle Angel Alita and we have vol 3 of Shakugan No Shana (got it for $2 but apparently it's going for about $50 now)

Now I just wish I could find Strawberry 100% vol 4... not to mention various volumes of GTO and Gakuen Alice manga that I'm getting more and more concerned I won't be able to collect.
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Surprisingly, I don't think anybody's mentioned (or if they have, I missed it in this long thread) my personal holy grail: Gatchaman. I came late to this show, and have managed to collect volumes 1-11, but the next few volumes in sequence (12-14) are vanishingly rare and commanding the usual abusive scalpers' prices on eBay and elsewhere. The last few volumes of the series (15-18) can still be had at more reasonable rates, but I don't know if I'll ever get over that 12-14 hurdle.
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
I don't own much anime, and it's all pretty standard R2 stuff, but I do have the complete Banana Fish, including this little gem, and I collect Fumi Yoshinaga, so I picked up this bastard pretty soon after its release (I think it was a VERY short run). Oh, and I have this figure, which a good friend of mine won at, of all things, a Tokyopop industry event. I'm told she's pretty rare, although I've seen plenty of well-made knock-offs around.

- Pips
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
Over the last two years, my collection has really exploeded after buying an Akira DVD in 2004.

Here is my shelves from a month ago.
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/001.jpg
cdn01.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/002.jpg
cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/003.jpg
cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/004.jpg
cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/005.jpg
cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/shelf-life/42951/006.jpg

And here is what I have so far gotten since these were taken.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/1010359o.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/1010363z.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/1010365i.jpg/

I have a running list going on what is OOP and what I want. I have started to knock stuff that list recently. If I can give a tip, if it is OOP, check local Anime store's websites around the US. You will be surprised on what they have.

I must say there's an awful lot of stuff there I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole-but each person has their own preferences in anime. I do check store websites and you'd be surprised at what I can't find.

Last edited by zrdb on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, thanks to this article I became resolved to buy a copy of Night on the Galactic Railroad that I knew was languishing in a Half-Price Books and picked it up Monday. $7 seemed a good price, even though the outside case was damaged and had a small tear. The movie definitely needs a remastering job though, the majority of the movie is set at night or in other low-lit scenes but even with that it's a darker picture than it should be, it could definitely do with some better definition, even the credits are blurry.

Also just bought a pristine copy of the first ADV DVD release of Dragon Half for $3 at a different nearby store- Ebay seems to selling used copies of that little 50 minute classic for $17-$66 and a couple "new" copies for $100. So I figure that was a decent pick-up. And I'm not feeling all that bad that I didn't get it in the Poemy dual pack- I rented that one when it came out- such a disappointment..

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cosmic-evila

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Pippin4242 wrote:
I don't own much anime, and it's all pretty standard R2 stuff, but I do have the complete Banana Fish, including this little gem, and I collect Fumi Yoshinaga, so I picked up this bastard pretty soon after its release (I think it was a VERY short run). Oh, and I have this figure, which a good friend of mine won at, of all things, a Tokyopop industry event. I'm told she's pretty rare, although I've seen plenty of well-made knock-offs around.

- Pips

Wow, I guess I got lucky with Banana Fish vol. 9! I bought most of the volumes at cons, and was able to get the entire series for retail price, or a little below that. I'm very grateful for that now.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know that Ergo Proxy was so hard to find. I didn't have a lot of problems getting all the dvds, but then again, I have the R2 ones.
And am I glad that I managed to get my hands on all the Paradise Kiss dvds! I spent ages looking for the third dvd and one day I found it on ebay for a reasonable price from someone in Austria. I ended up paying $25 for it.

The only ones that I'm looking for at the moment are Strawberry Marshmallow, Blood+ (at one point I will most definitely cave and buy the boxsets on ebay), Black Lagoon and the first season of Sailor Moon.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Besides anime and manga, I'm also having trouble finding some How to Draw Manga books like:
How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 1: Sketching As Composition Planning It sells for $199.99 and that's the used price.

How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 3: Unforgettable Characteristics Sells for $299.99 used.

How To Draw Manga Costume Encyclopedia Volume 4: Kimono And Gowns Sells for $87 used

How To Draw Manga Volume 38: Ninja & Samurai Portrayal
Sells for $80 used

How To Draw Manga Volume 36: Animals sells for $49 used

How To Draw Manga Volume 39: Creating Stories sells for $65 used

I have How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 2 I got years ago in Barnes and Nobles for about $12 (thank goodness)
sailorsarah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Nemoide wrote:
sailorsarah wrote:
I'd also like Macross, Fancy LaLa, and the Patlabor OVA. I could probably afford Fancy LaLa, but the other three are too rich for my blood.

I only recently watched Fancy Lala and I *highly* recommend it. It's one of the most interesting magical girl series for kids that I've seen. And magical girl anime tends to just get more and more in demand and hard to find. Also, it pretty assuredly is going to never come back in print.

Thank you for the recommendation. I will probably go ahead and buy it then.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Besides anime and manga, I'm also having trouble finding some How to Draw Manga books like:
How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 1: Sketching As Composition Planning It sells for $199.99 and that's the used price.

How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 3: Unforgettable Characteristics Sells for $299.99 used.

How To Draw Manga Costume Encyclopedia Volume 4: Kimono And Gowns Sells for $87 used

How To Draw Manga Volume 38: Ninja & Samurai Portrayal
Sells for $80 used

How To Draw Manga Volume 36: Animals sells for $49 used

How To Draw Manga Volume 39: Creating Stories sells for $65 used

I have How To Draw Manga: Sketching Manga-Style Volume 2 I got years ago in Barnes and Nobles for about $12 (thank goodness)

Really? Thats strange I can't imagine how How to Draw books would be that valuable.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, for some reason, some of the How to Draw Manga are considered valuable. Even on ebay they're still too expensive. Another item I wish I could afford to collect are nyankos, but those adorable little kitties are always expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAN-X-JAPAN-PLUSH-NYAN-NYANKO-SHRIMP-TEMPURA-VERY-RARE-/350486685817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519aa26879#ht_988wt_698 Sad
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
BorgmanJayce wrote:
All I can say is: "fudge you Borders for going out of business and taking TokyoPop with it!" Evil or Very Mad

Don't accept the lies of Stu Levy. The company was in dire straights long before Borders decided to go bust. The bankruptcy of Borders was just a convenient scapegoat for the flake to wash himself of responsibility.

As for rarities....picked these up a week ago at a church rummage sale:

Yep, still wrapped together and the old Mixxzine Editions of Sailor Moon Books!!

Last edited by Sunday Silence on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
FaytLein

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and for people interested in buying Urusei Yatsura.......don't!

Currently, I've got a roundabout figure for the TV series, OVA and movies would be around 600 dollars. That includes everything EXCEPT Volumes 26, 27,43 and 44. Those four discs ONLY exist in ONE site. Which would be RACS. HOWEVER, they only exist as parts of a set of 10 DVDs, which go for the princely sum of 500 dollars a set. EACH!!!!!!

I might just buy the complete set for 850 bucks, minus Movie 2. Which I could get for hopefully less than 50. So 900 for the entire, complete set.

I am so screwed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18