• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Snow White with the Red Hair

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
I'm hoping they splice in Kiki's story

That would make me happy too!
Is it bad that I like Obi and Kiki far more than the MC's?
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:
mandisaw wrote:

That would make me happy too!

That's often the case in shows though, isn't it? That the fan favorites aren't the main characters? Side characters don't have to sustain a show, just be quirky or different or interesting for the few minutes they appear. But if show runners try to capitalize on that, like with Castiel in Supernatural or many characters on Dr. Who, the charm is lost and they become annoying or tedious.

Obi and Kiki are great characters- part of what I love about the series are the satellite characters- but without Zen and Shirayuki as their center they wouldn't have as much of an impact.
JadeDahlia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meanwhile, Shirayuki is blinded by the beauty of Kiki's nude body in the tub, another unusual moment that gives the characters some levity. It may be a tiny bit out of character, especially for Shirayuki, who usually takes a much more clinical approach to bodies, but it fits right in with the overall tone of the episode, which is friendly and much less serious than usual.

Honestly, between this and Shirayuki's comment regarding Trow being interested in anyone (something along the lines of "She didn't show interest in me!"), I'm pretty convinced now that Shirayuki is bisexual.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
^ I kind of took Shirayuki's comments about Trow being more in relation to how she's used to be gawked at or commented on (or kidnapped) thanks to her hair, so it felt unusual to Shirayuki for Trow's attention to skip over her.

Of course, she could still be bisexual either way.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
It's probably worth mentioning that Funimation's subs this week had a critical mistranslation of the final line. The subs had Izana saying "I will be you and Shirayuki's ally." However, he was actually saying, "Make me you and Shirayuki's ally." It's a pretty big difference - he still hasn't accepted Shirayuki, he's only accepted that Zen is serious about her, and he's challenging Zen to prove that he should be supporting their union.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I wrote:

The sound of my *squee* when they actually revealed the Kiki flashback made my hubby wonder if something happened *to* me. Then it was, "ah, she's just fangirling" Very Happy

Hell, they've ticked off every one of my S2 wishlist items, so if they can squeeze in one last amazing wish - spoiler[Izana's coronation] - I might go ultrasonic.

Go Mifune wrote:

All hail the Ensemble Darkhorse :heh: I like these sorts of chars in general, and these two in particular. I feel like Obi & Kiki help soften the starch in both Zen and Mitsuhide. They are all(*) nobles/courtiers, but where Zen & Mtsu tend to get a little too wrapped up in protocol and formality, Kiki & Obi are super comfortable in their status, and that rubs off on those around them.

[* Obi may not be noble outside of my headcanon, but he's definitely trained in courtly ways.]

HelloBucket wrote:
JadeDahlia wrote:
Honestly, between this [SY & Kiki in the baths] and Shirayuki's comment regarding Trow being interested in anyone (something along the lines of "She didn't show interest in me!"), I'm pretty convinced now that Shirayuki is bisexual.

^ I kind of took Shirayuki's comments about Trow being more in relation to how she's used to be gawked at or commented on (or kidnapped) thanks to her hair, so it felt unusual to Shirayuki for Trow's attention to skip over her.

Of course, she could still be bisexual either way.

The usual caveats about fan translations and faulty memory apply, but I could swear that in the manga version, Trow did hit on the girls too, basically saying that since she was frisky, and they were all beautiful/handsome, "anyone would do". SY was confused by this, and somebody (Zen?) told her not to think too hard about it (similar to the anime). Obi was the only one singled-out as NG, with that great "You Sir, are/look entirely too dangerous" line.

Interesting char development though it would be, I think Shirayuki seems to admire strong and/or beautiful women in general - there are a couple of later women who trigger similar "you're so pretty/accomplished" reactions. Not sure if its sexual, or just overload from her lack of female companionship/friendship before coming to the castle.

Totally possible that SY has a crush on Kiki though - I mean who wouldn't?!
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
^ But they only revealed a tiny bit of Kiki's flashbacks- she's got a whole arc they haven't done. Sad Still, at least we got the bare bones of their meeting.

I think rather than the show saying patience is a virtue, they were showing that trust is a big part of love (but it's by no means easy, nor should she have been put in that position).

I don't think they were suggesting Zen is illegitimate. He just hadn't been considered a prince because he was wild and irresponsible. The people had no reason to trust him to lead them. Shirayuki, it seems, has made more than one prince, because they want to be stand up guys in the face of her earnestness.

How many more episodes? 2?
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
I don't think they were suggesting Zen is illegitimate.

It's an interesting idea, though! (I don't think they were saying that either. I just like the idea. ... *runs off to write own illegitimate prince story*)

Quote:
How many more episodes? 2?

That should be right, both assuming this season will have the same number of episodes as the first and going by the amount of time left in the winter season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 22

That was fun, what with the wealth of facial expressions and Obi teasing everyone, but wow, the music from the garden scene on through Zen's convo with Izana was just waaaay over the top. It sounded like something out of Disney circa 1950. Rolling Eyes

Watching it again, it did kinda sound like there was something more going on about Zen's background than just his not seeming prince-worthy. Accepting him "as a member of the royal family" is a bit different from "accepting him as a suitable prince." It would go a long way (though isn't required) to explain Izana's tough-love protectiveness of him. I agree with Darkmagick, canon or not, it's an interesting idea.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
^If that line gives that impression then it was poorly translated (and from another's comments, apparently it's not the only line that was translated badly in that scene). It does not follow what was said in the manga, where he is discussed as being accepted as a proper second prince. Zen is legitimate.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
^ But they only revealed a tiny bit of Kiki's flashbacks- she's got a whole arc they haven't done. Sad Still, at least we got the bare bones of their meeting.

It's just my assumption, but I'm guessing that we'll get a 2-part flashback/present-day arc for Kiki just like they did for Mitsuhide. They have the time, and why tease "remember that time when we met" unless they're going to show the whole thing?

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Watching it again, it did kinda sound like there was something more going on about Zen's background than just his not seeming prince-worthy. Accepting him "as a member of the royal family" is a bit different from "accepting him as a suitable prince." It would go a long way (though isn't required) to explain Izana's tough-love protectiveness of him. I agree with Darkmagick, canon or not, it's an interesting idea.

Given that these are "royals who actually do work", I think the idea of Zen being accepted as a legitimate ruler by both the populace and the lords/nobles is what's being discussed here. It seems that simply being born to the royal family doesn't guarantee that anyone will take you seriously (nor ensure that you won't be assassinated), so both Izana and Zen had to prove their mettle.

As has been noted, Izana takes his big-brother role to substitute father/ruler levels, so it's easy to see him as both Zen's greatest ally and his harshest critic. But I'm sure there are a lot of other folks watching with a critical eye.

Something else to keep in mind is that Izana has no children yet (at age 26ish), so Zen is his heir, and will be until/unless Izana's future kid(s) grow up. Zen has to prove definitively that he is a worthy heir, otherwise you could have "cousins" showing up to contest the succession. (Part of the reason royals historically marry among their cousins..)
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
sunflower wrote:

It's just my assumption, but I'm guessing that we'll get a 2-part flashback/present-day arc for Kiki just like they did for Mitsuhide. They have the time, and why tease "remember that time when we met" unless they're going to show the whole thing?

There are only 2 episodes left in the entire series. There's no way they're going to spend those episodes on a side character's backstory. I'm pretty sure the next two episodes will be Zen/Shirayuki-focused episodes, since their romance forms the main plot. There's some good Zen/Shirayuki material from directly after the Tanbarun arc that I'm assuming they skipped over specifically to use to wrap up the season...

I mean, we can all dream of more seasons, but let's be honest...As a shoujo series, we were already super lucky to get 2 cours to begin with. The anime sales have been unimpressive. The manga sales are looking pretty good, so it's not completely hopeless, but they're not impressive enough to definitively say, "there's no way there won't be more anime."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The look on Kiki's face when Mitsuhide started smooth-talking her vindicated this whole episode.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
The look on Kiki's face when Mitsuhide started smooth-talking her vindicated this whole episode.

Seriously. It was so funny I bit weirdly into the food I was eating when I saw that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
definitely gives the impression that the show is rushing towards next week's conclusion. Given all that has to happen for things to have a moderately satisfying, hopeful ending, I am concerned that giving this week's episode to fluff may come back to bite Snow White with the Red Hair in its finale.

I was thinking the same thing as it became clear that episode 23 was going to be filler this late in the game. The second half of the episode was a bit better, but I agree with you. I hope this episode does not come back to haunt them and that the creators manage to produce a satisfactory final episode with some closure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 18