• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Makes January Robot TV Anime Buddy Complex

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

You're not effectively illustrating the harmful effect for me.

I'd suggest looking in a mirror. That should be a pretty good illustration.

Yet another non-answer.

They are choosing not to tell stories about women. This reinforces and normalizes the idea of male as the default and women as secondary and less important. That you got so up in arms at the idea that this is old and maybe it would be nice to have something a little different is a symptom of that.

And in case it wasn't clear, that was two (separate, but related) points. The dearth of stories starring women, about and from their perspective, is a harmful effect itself.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to have something like Gunbuster, Blue Gender, or Stellvia where it's a female protagonist, but it's not just other women pilots whom she leads (Strain, Dina Giga, Rinne no Lagrange, Jinki Extend, Divergence Eve, Rayearth, Bubblegum Crisis). You got some shows that mix things like like Aquarion EVOL, Muv-Luv, Majestic Prince, Break Blade, Nadesico, Godannar, Gravion, Vandread, very few Gundams... mostly everything else will have maybe a token woman pilot or two, or none at all.

There's a lot of mecha I haven't gotten to yet, so I don't know the case for Zone of the Enders, Dual Parallel Trouble, Zegapain, or Fafner, and I barely remember what Betterman or Gunparade March did. Brain Powerd did have a mixed sex group and focused a lot on the orange-haired girl, but it's Brain Powerd. I think it'd be a fun exercise to start from Mazinger and list all of the female-protagonist mecha, including one-shots like Leda or OVAs like Iczer-1. Unfortunately, you'll also get stuff like Gundress and Project ICE.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd like to have something like Gunbuster, Blue Gender, or Stellvia where it's a female protagonist, but it's not just other women pilots whom she leads (Strain, Dina Giga, Rinne no Lagrange, Jinki Extend, Divergence Eve, Rayearth, Bubblegum Crisis). You got some shows that mix things like like Aquarion EVOL, Muv-Luv, Majestic Prince, Break Blade, Nadesico, Godannar, Gravion, Vandread, very few Gundams... mostly everything else will have maybe a token woman pilot or two, or none at all.

There's a lot of mecha I haven't gotten to yet, so I don't know the case for Zone of the Enders, Dual Parallel Trouble, Zegapain, or Fafner, and I barely remember what Betterman or Gunparade March did. Brain Powerd did have a mixed sex group and focused a lot on the orange-haired girl, but it's Brain Powerd. I think it'd be a fun exercise to start from Mazinger and list all of the female-protagonist mecha, including one-shots like Leda or OVAs like Iczer-1. Unfortunately, you'll also get stuff like Gundress and Project ICE.

I believe the majority of the pilots in Dual Parallel Trouble and Zegapain were woman. If my memory serves me, the person who was supposed to be the best pilot in Zegapain was a women. As for Betterman, it had a female and male pilot for each mecha.

I wonder where Dilandau would fall in to all of this? Laughing
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I thought Strain had a mix, but maybe that was only the initial group. But yeah, while some female only groups are good too, only that is not enough. While it's not mecha, Mouretsu Pirates is good example. There was the club that was just girls but her pirate group was mixed sex. Maaaan, that movie can't come soon enough.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
rederoin wrote:
Oh jesus christ, how did the Shonen Jump Weekly's find this thread?

What is a Shonen Jump Weekly?

A person who cares about social justice.

Thanks to a minority of them being incredibly dumb on Tumblr, the phrase is now a snarl word and pejorative used by not-so-nice-people to decry any attempt to fix prejudices in modern society.

Nowadays if you say even something simple like "there's too many male characters", some whiny fuck WILL come and say "OMG GTFO BACK TO TUMBLR YOU STUPID Shonen Jump Weekly"*

Ignore everyone who uses the word as a pejorative. Your life will be much better.

*: Speaking of, I have never seen a criticism of Tumblr that doesn't boil down to "There's wimmniz in it and that scares me"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
While it's not mecha, Mouretsu Pirates is good example. There was the club that was just girls but her pirate group was mixed sex. Maaaan, that movie can't come soon enough.

Eh, Mouretsu Pirates just became a chore and a snore of an anime to me. The lack of any kind of lasting tension or excitement just drained my enjoyment of the show.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
rederoin wrote:
Oh jesus christ, how did the Shonen Jump Weekly's find this thread?

What is a Shonen Jump Weekly?

A person who cares about social justice.

Thanks to a minority of them being incredibly dumb on Tumblr, the phrase is now a snarl word and pejorative used by not-so-nice-people to decry any attempt to fix prejudices in modern society.

Nowadays if you say even something simple like "there's too many male characters", some whiny fuck WILL come and say "OMG GTFO BACK TO TUMBLR YOU STUPID Shonen Jump Weekly"*

Ignore everyone who uses the word as a pejorative. Your life will be much better.

*: Speaking of, I have never seen a criticism of Tumblr that doesn't boil down to "There's wimmniz in it and that scares me"

Yes, I'm familiar with the full words and how they get used an insult. It's one of those words that says a lot more about those who use it than those they insult with it.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
While it's not mecha, Mouretsu Pirates is good example. There was the club that was just girls but her pirate group was mixed sex. Maaaan, that movie can't come soon enough.

Eh, Mouretsu Pirates just became a chore and a snore of an anime to me. The lack of any kind of lasting tension or excitement just drained my enjoyment of the show.

No kidding. I kept waiting for the piracy to happen and it never came. Apparently by "privateers" they meant were just some sort of licensed, armed courier-minstrels. I stalled out at episode 21 and just couldn't bring myself to finish it. The universe and characters were remarkably well crafted, but it all just seemed like so much over-dramatized nothing. I'll finiah it eventually, I took it too far not to, but I doubt it'll alleviate my disappointment.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
musouka wrote:
By not reflecting those of other genders, races, or sexualities as viable leading characters.

You're not effectively illustrating the harmful effect for me.

This is outside the context of the discussion - and I debated even posting this - but this is getting ridiculous. (Yes, what I provide below is mainly in regards to Western media, but since the statement seemed to be a very general "how is this (lack of gender, races or sexualities) harmful for anyone?", I decided to go beyond the scope of Japanese media).

Perhaps to get a perspective from Persons of Color who are frustrated by the lack of PoC representation within fiction, entertainment, and media:

Open Letter: To Elizabeth Bear and A Conversation I WANT to Have
I Didn't Dream of Dragons

And in regards to women in media:

Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media - with research studies and reports on:
  • Gender Roles & Occupations: A Look at Character Attributes and Job-Related Aspirations in Film and Television (Dr. Stacy Smith, Stacy L. Smith, PhD, Marc Choueiti, Ashley Prescott, Katherine Pieper, PhD, Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, USC)
  • Equity or Eye Candy: Exploring the Nature of Sex-Rolesin Children’s Television Programming (Stacy L. Smith, PhD*, Amy D. Granados, Marc G. Choueiti, Katherine M. Pieper, Emma Lee)
  • Gender Disparity On Screen and Behind the Camera in Family Films (Stacy L. Smith, PhD, Marc Choueiti, Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, USC)

Key facts:
  • Males outnumber females 3 to 1 in family films. In contrast, females comprise just over 50% of the population in the United States. Even more staggering is the fact that this ratio, as seen in family films, is the same as it was in 1946.
  • Females are almost four times as likely as males to be shown in sexy attire. Further, females are nearly twice as likely as males to be shown with a diminutive waistline. Generally unrealistic figures are more likely to be seen on females than males.
  • Females are also underrepresented behind the camera. Across 1,565 content creators, only 7% of directors, 13% of writers, and 20% of producers are female. This translates to 4.8 males working behind-the-scenes to every one female.
  • From 2006 to 2009, not one female character was depicted in G-rated family films in the field of medical science, as a business leader, in law, or politics. In these films, 80.5% of all working characters are male and 19.5% are female, which is a contrast to real world statistics, where women comprise 50% of the workforce.

You've stated yourself that it makes sense for a medium that's mostly run by males to create stories with characters they would most identify with (i.e. males)? Well, then, by that same logic it stands to reason that females want to see more lead females. And it's frustrating when it doesn't happen and can lead to self-esteem issues for those growing up. Since male is the norm and female is the deviant, it's normal and okay for both genders to understand and relate to male leads. But only women can really understand female leads, or so the justification goes.

And if you're interested: Privilege 101
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThursdayErryday

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
Nah brah, I'm describing what the sociological concept of privilege is.
Your mindset is affected by your external characteristics, yo. Ain't no way it can't be.

Wait, I thought Calvinism and Puritanical beliefs in predestination died out in the 16th century cos everyone thought that it was a load of garbage.

There are still people out there that are paranoid enough to legitimately think that society is one big sexist conspiracy out to ruin teh wimenz ad forever bind them to the kitchen while bigging up a non-existant patriarchy because all cis, white, het males are the spawn of the devil?

Wow. We really do live in the modern version of the middle ages. Why can't we all just get along with each other and talk about the merits of the series instead of making false judgements about everyone based on their gender, sexual orientation and happiness with their life just because we need to make other people feel bad to make ourselves feel better?

tldr: social justice was a great idea, but people are taking this way too far. If you want to make an unpopular point, at least make an effort to be civil about it instead of throwing 'privilege' around like it's a thing that actually exists outside of people's heads.

EDIT: Uh-oh, I necro'd a thread that's months old. Sorry about that Anime cry
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17