• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2008 Anime Preview Guide Part 1 (See note page 1)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
So someone being pissy justifies the expression uninformed opinions and fabricated plot summaries here?

I did not say that in the least. What I said boils down to "Someone being pissy explains a pissy attitude in the forums."

Quote:

Which something than an objective person would note in their review

Almost every statement in a review is debatable. You can't expect a reviewer to insert disclosures for everyone of them. The reviewer's job is to review an anime based on what he sees in the anime. No outside research is, or should ever need be necessary.

If the reviewer walks away with a different impression than what the creators' intended, that's not the reviewers fault, in fact, it might be the creators'.

In the case of a sequel, it certainly is preferable that the reviewer had seen the previous series in its entirety. Carlo had not, and he made a point of making this clear to the viewer, but rather than make it a statement, he included it as part of his editorial, which is a much better way of doing it.

The part about this series being ""YAY JAPAN! BANZAI FOR 10,000 YEARS" jingoism" is Carlo's opinion and I will not ask him to change it.

The part about "the Empire of Britannia (AMERICA) is currently oppressing the people of Region 11 (former nation of JAPAN)" may be misleading and therefore need clarification and I will ask him to consider whether or not it is necessary. There's no doubt that Britannia includes America from what I understand, but it might be necessary to amend the statement to point out that it is not the same as the United States. I don't know if Carlo meant America as in the current country "The United States of America" or the continental mass. Based on his statement in this thread, I think he equates Britannica as a stand-in for the real-world USA, and in the same post he explained why he equates it as such, and not something else.

But really, whether Britannia is the USA, the UK, or some completely non-representative fictional nation, Region 11 is indeed Japan, so the whole point is moot. It can still be seen as Jingoism. It's pro-Japanese regardless of whether it is anti-American or anti-Britannian.

What might make it non-Jingoism, is if Britannia is in fact a stand-in for Japan, and Region 11 a stand-in for Korea, as has been suggested. Unfortunately, as I stated above, it's not the reviewer's responsibility to do an academic study of the greater meanings of an anime and figure these things out. The reviewer should take the anime in and write his review based on what he perceived when watching the anime.

Anyways, as I said, I'll ask that Carlo figure out whether this statement "the Empire of Britannia (AMERICA) is currently oppressing the people of Region 11 (former nation of JAPAN)" requires any factual correction or clarification, and make said correction/clarification if necessary.

-t
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Carlo was making a tongue-in-cheek comment about how "Brittania" is obviously subtextual code for "America". He didn't mean it actually literally IS America in the show, it's not a "misleading incorrect plot summary".

I honestly think that's completely obvious unless you're reading it so literally that even an obvious sarcastic comment like that is too subtle.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm speaking as one of the Code Geass fans who probably started this debate when I ask that we please let go of it now. Really, babbo, I think you're taking this a little too far.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
I am really enjoying the new preview guide, the reviews are well written and you did do Chi's Sweet Home (TEH AWSUM0RZ THINGEH EVAR), no seriously it's a well animated series of shorts that are quite funny and which feature a convincing kitteh main character.

Will the preview guide be covering Blade of the Immortal, which airs on the 27th of April?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 17 of 17