• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Titles' Fansubs Pulled on Behalf of Japan's d-rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well with that lot I just listed plus the fact funimation will be realeasing a load of boxsets around the same price I dont think anyone can use the excuse about expensive prices.

I tell you now $50 for an entire boxset is not expensive and some are cheaper than that.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Wow, where are you finding some of these prices? o.O -so glad I plan to buy my Naruto box sets at Wal-Mart-

THey look like manufacturer suggested price which no one should pay, but which also means they can be had for less
like Naruto for $27 per box at Right Stuf.

KinFreon wrote:
Every time you download a fansub, God kills a puppy. Rolling Eyes

No, God takes a day off the life of someone who makes anime.
Look at all the voice actors & people in anime who seem to die before they're 60.
Bet you feel bad now.
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Wow, where are you finding some of these prices? o.O -so glad I plan to buy my Naruto box sets at Wal-Mart-

THey look like manufacturer suggested price which no one should pay, but which also means they can be had for less

Hell im someone who wouldnt mind paying those manufacturer prices its still a lot cheaper than it used to be in buying it all over single volumes.

$27 for box set of naruto is more or less stealing Laughing
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
[Wow, where are you finding some of these prices? o.O -so glad I plan to buy my Naruto box sets at Wal-Mart-

xD it's not really that hard if you actually look for it. Even on ANN, If you click on a title of the anime that's currently licensed in the US, they will have a list of the stores online that sells them and comparable prices.

Sometimes I'll switch between RightStuf and Buy.com because I believe that they sell anime at the cheapest rate. Not to mention RightStuf ALWAYS have sales.

Though if you don't have a credit card, that doesn't meant that you many not find a good bargain. Anime smile;

WalMart does have a good deal on anime, too bad that they don't have much anime to sell, though. =/
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Hell im someone who wouldnt mind paying those manufacturer prices its still a lot cheaper than it used to be in buying it all over single volumes.

$27 for box set of naruto is more or less stealing Laughing

so I'm stealing if a watch a fansub and I'm also stealing if I get a boxset for just under $30 bucks Confused Kireek you're a hard one to please aren't you?

Here's my honest to god opinion concerning how much I'm willing to spend for a box set. A little over 2 years ago when I was still in high school, working a part time job, and had the only necessary expense of filling my tank (when gas was still around $2), and paying for my school lunch (about $10 a week), earning a little over $400 a month hearing I could get a 26 episode boxset for only $50 was a good deal to me.

However now, I'm a college student. Not only do I still have to pay to fill my tank I now also buy all my groceries, school supplies, and books (which are never cheap and horribly over priced). Now adays if I hear $50 a boxset I've got to look that title over backwards and front to see if its worth it. For instance does it have a lot of extras? Is it dual audio? I passed on buying the Emma boxsets for now because I can't justify buying a sub only release of a half season each for the nearly the same price other titles are sold as season boxsets of 26. Not to say I won't wait til it comes down to around 30 on amazon, which by the way I see as being more cheap to buy anime than rightstuf's "select" title discount list, I still haven't found a place besides amazon where I can get the chrono crusade boxset for under 50. But on the other hand I just blew $50 bidding on an out of print anime movie so call me crazy if you have to Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
[Wow, where are you finding some of these prices? o.O -so glad I plan to buy my Naruto box sets at Wal-Mart-

xD it's not really that hard if you actually look for it. Even on ANN, If you click on a title of the anime that's currently licensed in the US, they will have a list of the stores online that sells them and comparable prices.

Sometimes I'll switch between RightStuf and Buy.com because I believe that they sell anime at the cheapest rate. Not to mention RightStuf ALWAYS have sales.

Though if you don't have a credit card, that doesn't meant that you many not find a good bargain. Anime smile;

WalMart does have a good deal on anime, too bad that they don't have much anime to sell, though. =/
Quite true, unless you look online and try and get Site To Store, which is what I plan to do to try and get some of the stuff I want. They do tend to have more anime online than they do in the stores.

I know at the Wal-Mart I work at we have some anime, but it's very limited. But I can at least get most of the Naruto box sets there for like $25 to $30 (although I get like a small discount on them; yay for being an associate! ^^).
shogun22

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Well with that lot I just listed plus the fact funimation will be realeasing a load of boxsets around the same price I don't think anyone can use the excuse about expensive prices.

I tell you now $50 for an entire boxset is not expensive and some are cheaper than that.

This is more of a Problem for those who live outside the USA or North America. (Its either delayed, the Volumes are incomplete, or the title isn't released at all)

I said this before, but Gonzo is probably the only animation Studio smart enough to realize that the world outisde Japan is bigger than just the USA.
Streaming shows online the same day it airs in Japan gives viewers across the globe a chance to see these shows even if the DVDs won't be available in their countries.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Quite true, unless you look online and try and get Site To Store, which is what I plan to do to try and get some of the stuff I want. They do tend to have more anime online than they do in the stores.

I know at the Wal-Mart I work at we have some anime, but it's very limited. But I can at least get most of the Naruto box sets there for like $25 to $30 (although I get like a small discount on them; yay for being an associate! ^^).

Well, I can agree with the sentiments of working as an associate.

*__* Borders was my kingdom, that's for sure. Loved my discounts, of course I had to variate from either using the discount or using the coupons that were provided to me from the Borders Rewards card.

Anyway, I'm going to be a college student myself, however, and if I can't afford a show I don't think I can watch, I'm not going to go download a fansub.

xD I guess I don't care if I miss it. I think I waited a while to even buy SoulTaker when it came out on G4, because I didn't want to buy it at a full price, so I waited until there was a sale x.x ...that took forever. lol. In the meanwhile, i guess I looked for other things. Some shows I'd buy on impulse, but meh...I guess I don't get to watch anime too much when I have such more important things in life to worry about.

On a side note, I still hope that other countries can benefit in the long run as well. Gotta say, I'm grateful for living in the US, it's a lot easier. Americans are pretty damn spoiled. xD
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:

On a side note, I still hope that other countries can benefit in the long run as well. Gotta say, I'm grateful for living in the US, it's a lot easier. Americans are pretty damn spoiled. xD

Glad someone knows that... I hear Americans complaning about price of oil at the fule staitions (which is fair enuff) but u should see the prices over here in Britain.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Quote:

Glad someone knows that... I hear Americans complaning about price of oil at the fule staitions (which is fair enuff) but u should see the prices over here in Britain.

Sorry to go off-topic for a bit, but as I understand it, the higher gas prices in Europe are due to the various taxes applied to the purchase. When you factor out those additional fees, the cost per gallon/liter/hogshead is pretty much the same.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

so I'm stealing if a watch a fansub and I'm also stealing if I get a boxset for just under $30 bucks Confused Kireek you're a hard one to please aren't you?

Here's my honest to god opinion concerning how much I'm willing to spend for a box set. A little over 2 years ago when I was still in high school, working a part time job, and had the only necessary expense of filling my tank (when gas was still around $2), and paying for my school lunch (about $10 a week), earning a little over $400 a month hearing I could get a 26 episode boxset for only $50 was a good deal to me.

However now, I'm a college student. Not only do I still have to pay to fill my tank I now also buy all my groceries, school supplies, and books (which are never cheap and horribly over priced). Now adays if I hear $50 a boxset I've got to look that title over backwards and front to see if its worth it. For instance does it have a lot of extras? Is it dual audio? I passed on buying the Emma boxsets for now because I can't justify buying a sub only release of a half season each for the nearly the same price other titles are sold as season boxsets of 26. Not to say I won't wait til it comes down to around 30 on amazon, which by the way I see as being more cheap to buy anime than rightstuf's "select" title discount list, I still haven't found a place besides amazon where I can get the chrono crusade boxset for under 50. But on the other hand I just blew $50 bidding on an out of print anime movie so call me crazy if you have to Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Welcome to being an adult.
I told my daughter suck up being a kid because it so sucks as an adult. I hate Christmas. It's magical for kids but as an adult we get to pay for all of it-no Santa bringing us free gifts.

Just because reality has smacked you in the face, it's ok to download? Sounds like my clients who steal from others because they don't have the money to get what they want. So their shoplifting means I have to pay more for stuff & that's ok?
You pick & choose. YOu may want 2 new shirts, but if you can only afford 1, you get one.

Quote:

I'm not talking about back east, but here in SoCal we are rather spaced out. It's 30 miles to downtown San Diego from the suburb I live in. And our public transportation reeks--a 30 minute drive to drop my daughter off at summer school would have been 3 buses, 2 hours & $8 one way. OTher cities have good transportation, but you're talking 50 different states-it's like UN relations dealing with laws between the states. You think States can agree on getting a workable public transportation system to connect this country when allowing a convict to move to another state takes 6 months?

So many people bought houses in the next county because they were like $100,000 cheaper, but now they have to deal with paying $4 per gallon to cover a daily commute of 50-100 miles.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Just because reality has smacked you in the face, it's ok to download? Sounds like my clients who steal from others because they don't have the money to get what they want. So their shoplifting means I have to pay more for stuff & that's ok?
You pick & choose. YOu may want 2 new shirts, but if you can only afford 1, you get one.

Okay, I'll bite. Why? Your analogy is flawed because if one was to steal a shirt the store would no longer have it to sell to somebody else. When one watches a fansub though, a physical item has not been lost. The thing that potentially has been lost is a sale. Now clearly that can be extremely damaging and even just as bad as taking an actual item. However, in the scenario you describe, that potential was never there to begin with. So, if someone wants to see an anime but genuinely* cannot afford it, why shouldn't they download it? Can you offer a fact based reason why someone should abstain from what they want even though taking it would have no adverse effects?

*I understand that where this argument falls apart is when people just convince themselves that they can not afford it. For now though, lets focus on the people who really can't.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Can you offer a fact based reason why someone should abstain from what they want even though taking it would have no adverse effects?

It's no more harmful than running a stop sign with no other cars near the intersection and no pedestrians in the vicinity at 1 in the morning, but that won't stop a traffic cop from pulling you over regardless if he sees you doing it. The law is the law, and just because we don't agree with it doesn't give us free license to ignore it.

(And for the love of cheese, no one throw "civil disobedience" back in my face, since we're talking about something roughly 1000 orders of magnitude more insignificant than the situations where that applies.)
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The only problem I have with this is the notion of "Oh hey, series X is licensed in America, everyone stop what you're doing because America is now the whole world."

Everyone is always BAW R1 REGION LICENSE.

News flash: NOT EVERYONE LIVES IN R1. America, even though most of us think we are the World Police/World whatever, we aren't.

Just because it may be some way in America, doesn't mean it's like that everywhere else.
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Can you offer a fact based reason why someone should abstain from what they want even though taking it would have no adverse effects?

It's no more harmful than running a stop sign with no other cars near the intersection and no pedestrians in the vicinity at 1 in the morning, but that won't stop a traffic cop from pulling you over regardless if he sees you doing it. The law is the law, and just because we don't agree with it doesn't give us free license to ignore it.

(And for the love of cheese, no one throw "civil disobedience" back in my face, since we're talking about something roughly 1000 orders of magnitude more insignificant than the situations where that applies.)

Basically I cant afford somthing like I dunno Naruto boxset at the moment and I want to watch it. But because I cant afford it I dont go an steal it off the net and save it onto my computer because well....I have no right to do so...........I just go without its not going to kill me.

I could very easily steal it because im hiding behind a keyboard and knowone is going to arrest me. But I point blank refuse to do so but thats just me. Im a big fan of anime but knowone can say that they are dependent on it.

(I also have to laugh at some people who say this is annoyong the videos out of sync...I feel like saying to them well damn you have stole it in the first place so why complain???? How low its all become
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 19