• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So-Ra-No-Wo-To (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this thread stopped after the original airing. But this is the official thread, so adding on over a year later. Please move this to another thread if need, admins.

I just finished watching my DVD box of this show from Nozomi/Rightstuf. I have to say, it is pretty righteous how well they did by the fans with the box, with it's episode count, extras, clarity and encode. They offered two subtitle tracks a standard and a 'with honorifics'. No english dub, and that would have been nice.

This, in my opinion, is one of the best shows that came out last year, and it leaves a lasting impression on my psyche, unlike a lot of shows. It kinda makes you think.

I read through this thread and saw the negative comments. This show isn't for everyone, but anyone could watch it. The drama, when it really hits, can be very intense, but for the most part it remains very gentle in it's approach. The end episode is well done, and you get both OVA extras on this disk set as well, set up in the order they occurred in the timeline of the show.

I'd like to address a few of the negative things said. Someone mentioned that they were sick of "Amazing Grace" and that it was overused. I'm sorry that person thought so, I thought it was a wonder central theme that made me smile when it was used. The song was very central to the story.

I thought the concept of the 'pink' and 'blue' squads was pretty neat, and it showed how despirate the army was that it took in new recruits as young as 13 years old, female ones at that. From the feel, it was not unusual for an orphan or someone very poor to join the military as an escape of their condition. From what I can gather or feel, when the war was heavy they risked the pink units as much as the blue... but I get the feeling that the reason the Colonel's force was all blue had a lot to do with risking men over women. Since they have the pink and blue designations, they can easily sort pink units to safer duties, and I think they did, it makes sense.

Someone had complained that they showed a lot of femaie soldiers up until the big battle scene, then it showed only maie ones, but that makes perfect sense in my opinion. I think they didn't want that Colonel to have command of women, I am sure higher command would have been hesitant to trust him with the true future of their country.

Anyway, I'd love to hear more feedback or friendly discussion on this series. I thought it was one of the better thought out pieces I have seen in a long time, one that brought tears to my eyes, and made me laugh, sometimes in the same episode.

Thank you Rightstuf /Nozomi for you well done US release of this title!
Song of the Skies.
thegoanna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote
Hi all fellow anime fanatics!

I read this forum before I watched this, I even had my own thread, as I was considering should I buy it. Most comments seemed positive about it.

some searching and I found it at animecentral.. and watched it there.

So K-on characters they are I suppose but not the personalities, A bit of laziness in designing new feature characters maybe?? or just some "lets use these they seemed popular"??

well that aside I watched it for the story's sake and I enjoyed it to the end, I will buy it because the streaming video quality was not so good I would like to see not quite so furry and blocky. There are some nice extras that go with it as well Smile

So my view is it has "Yes" it has its issues, but that aside its very good and enjoyable. PS and the spider tank was "bingo!"

Cheers
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:21 am Reply with quote
I found something interesting. Apparently "Boys, Be Ambitious" is a well known slogan in Hokkaido. It was 'coined' by William S Clark and is related to his founding of an agricultural college in Sapporo.

I wonder if the end theme might be somehow related to this slogan (Girls, Be Ambitious). What do you all think? I know a lot of thought and work went into this show, and that end theme has often made me go.. huh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19