• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 12:

That was pretty fun to watch until the second part when Haruno appeared with her intimidating talk. Well, it's not like it was unexpected. Felt bad for Yukino tbh as it ruined the mood.

As for the event itself, I thought it looked pretty fun. Everyone seemed to have a good time just making the chocolate and I bet they tasted delicious. Also nice to see Saki show up again. I feel like her role this season was very minor but it's always nice to see her pop up here and there; including bring her cute sister along too.

Also, yesterday was Yui's birthday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:15 am Reply with quote
Before this is over, I really want someone, anyone, to tell Haruno to just shut the fudge up and go get a life that doesn't revolve around high school kids. I am so beyond sick of her.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I am so beyond sick of her.

I have to agree. It just seems so outrageous that she always gets to appear so light-hearted and free while she and her mother do nothing for Yukino other than twisting her into a knot. With the excuse of being "concerned" for her.

Shizuka on the other hand. She seems like a really decent person.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 13 (finale):

Well, it was an emotional finale but also a fun one in a way with Hachiman, Yui, and Yukino going out on a "date" to the aquarium. First half felt slow though with Haruno although she isn't causing much as trouble as before.

Some of the ferry scenes were emotional as it continuously showed how much the three protagonists have grown this season.

It has a bit of a cliffhanger...so perhaps a third season may be possible in the future? Who knows though. I'd be happy to welcome it. Rating this as excellent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

This is like second season of Haganai (that is praise), although some is still a little hard to follow. But underneath it all it seems clear that pairing was a big part. The date was filled with the dating question, especially with the bit about penguin partnership. And dialogue like Yui saying they should do another round of the exhibits followed by Hachiman saying that there was no point looking at the same thing, totally called out the idea that new sights needed to come. That this was followed up with them riding the Ferris wheel where, where it is mentioned that though it is fun and moves, it does not make any progress, and eventually you have to get off.

I think I am a little confused about where the characters stand, Yukino seems to have come to some acceptance that she cares about Hachiman, and right now she is struggling to make the first step. Yui knows this, she too likes Hachiman, but rather than go after him with full force, she has "consideration" enough that she is also pulling Yukino with her to the finish line. Yui was saying that she was playing unfair and dirty, and she gives her gift to Hachiman, kind of culmination of why Yui got involved in the first place. I thought partially that her pressuring Yukino meant that Yui was "winning", but does not seem to fit quite right. Actually was it Yui saying Yui was letting all her feelings out so that she could then "give" Hachiman to her, so that Yukino could move forward without a problem? If so Hachiman rejected someone making Yukino's decision, that he won't take a non-authentic relationship, and they are going to have to do things the hard but authentic way.

The show finished with Yukino collecting herself and about to ask her friends for help, we don't know what but it must be Yukino is going to change. For those who have also seen the second season of Haganai, which I highly recommend as part of this "harem" genre, there are some parallels that fill me with hope for a sequel, for closure. Both actually end with spoiler[the cool beauty character who keeps a distance know that they have to change and grow]. Yozora spoiler[leaves on a journey where she has to get past her past one true friend mentality, and perhaps her other attributes that poison her relationships]. And Yukino I would say needs maybe open up with her friends, and make her own decision.

Also, Haruno is again a (not so nice word). Does she actually want Yukino to make her own decisions, or does she feel some strange ownership at being part of the group that will make them for her? At this time Hachiman and Yui made the effort to protect Yukino from her sister's acts, they are on her side, and that seems to have given her confidence. So what happens next?

So in conclusion, a good second season. The first season was not actually the type that really settled that much in generic teen rom-com style, there really was a distance between the characters, and it was tough. Hachiman has been a wounded young man, stuck in situations where he actually hurt himself to help the other people, at first it looked like he though others worthless, but he actually thought less of himself and isolated. This actually created what I have come to see as an unfortunate take with the audience, that they see him as some hero that is amazing because he selflessly sacrifices himself to help others. That is where this season started, with Hachiman hurt with making himself look bad to save the face of the girl who wanted to look good. And the major theme of the season was that this really was not okay, that selfless sacrifice also hurts the people that care about him, and care about him they did. We actually saw some enormous growth from Hachiman as came to want a good end, and not burden his friends. But even more than that, he found out that there is a good way to burden friends, that something is not real unless friends push something onto each other.

I also have to also throw in that chemistry was top notch this season, there really seemed to be a handle on doing things the SNAFU way. Things could be bleak or maybe mean, but there was meaning behind it, these social situations. Because she was not really I a big part in this finale, although we did get a new addition to the main group, I also have to call out Iroha, who was a surprisingly good character. Although we also got movements from a number of other characters to. Everything feels a few steps off from something big.

As a rating I go with Excellent, the same rating a gave for the first season, but it is because this season did things differently, but enough the same both seasons work together. I hope we get another season.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I have just watched the last episode. Overall, I enjoyed this series, though I had some issues with it. Firstly, it felt rushed. The beginning of this season is a series of events with little to no build up, which made the drama fell rather flat. I may be wrong, because I have not read light novels, but it seemed they were omitting stuff to give the latest volume, which came out on 24th June 2015, an advertisement. This, in my opinion, was not a good idea.

So while I like it that character are developed. I would have preferred a slower pacing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
I have just watched the last episode. Overall, I enjoyed this series, though I had some issues with it. Firstly, it felt rushed. The beginning of this season is a series of events with little to no build up, which made the drama fell rather flat. I may be wrong, because I have not read light novels, but it seemed they were omitting stuff to give the latest volume, which came out on 24th June 2015, an advertisement. This, in my opinion, was not a good idea.

So while I like it that character are developed. I would have preferred a slower pacing.

I wouldn't really say it was because of advertising the last volume, but yes, they rushed. Most volumes (including the last volume) got 2 episodes each, while volume 9 (the one about the joint event with the other high-school and something genuine had 4 and a half episodes dedicated to it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Zoku OVA:

Well this was an amusing episode. A date with Isshiki...a ping pong match, all the teasing, awkward lunch, etc.

I got some laughs from this considering how interactive Isshiki was during the date. I think she's trying to see a different side of Hachiman. Kinda funny at the memories they made during their date with that photo.

My favorite quote from the episode though:
"Girls are made of sugar, spice, and something nice". How poetic Laughing

I'm glad to see Yukino getting more screen time as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
My favorite quote from the episode though:
"Girls are made of sugar, spice, and something nice". How poetic Laughing

You've never heard that before? oO I guess I've always heard it as "sugar and spice and everything nice," while boys are made of "snips and snails and puppy dog tails."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
Zoku OVA

Iroha is the best girl. Well actually she is manipulative with a fake cutesy act, as well as selfish, but that is kind of why I have come to think she is kind of perfect Hachiman, she completes him or they complete each other. Hachiman points out some problems with shallow nature, and Iroha kind of makes him enjoy little things be a little more selfish. It made the date pretty fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19