• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caramichael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Too bad you didn't mention one of my favorite things about Boros' fight: After Saitama comes back from the moon, the music and Boros slowly picking a run toward Saitama are a direct reference to the end of episode 1 when Saitama gets exited about fighting the Subterranean King.
Via_01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Caramichael wrote:
Too bad you didn't mention one of my favorite things about Boros' fight: After Saitama comes back from the moon, the music and Boros slowly picking a run toward Saitama are a direct reference to the end of episode 1 when Saitama gets exited about fighting the Subterranean King.

I was about to mention this. The last bit of the Boros' fight was definitely a throwback to the last bit of episode back: there's the music, but there's also the heartbeat sound at the exact same moment of the track, indicating the moment both individuals decide to go full-power. It's a fun way of showing that, for Boros, this fight is the same as the dream-fight Saitama wishes he could experience, which makes the conclussion pretty sad: Boros went all out, trying to have an evenly matched battle, but Saitama was just too strong, and in the end, he didn't TRULY go all-out against him. But hey, at least the space overlord got the exciting fight he wished.

What else can I say: an excellent finale for such a great series. I really hope we get to see a 2nd season in the future.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Sure, it's not the end-all-be-all of anime as a medium for deep artistic storytelling, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more perfectly realized pure action series in not only animation, but live-action as well.

I am one of the weird people who is not in love with One-Punch Man, and this quote sums up my reasons. Yes, OPM has fantastic action and animation, but I need a deeper story to really care.

That being said, I hope another season of OPM is made.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I think I mentally aged back by ten or so years watching that finale, I even sang the theme song as it as playing for pete's sake. I read the manga (Murata's version) so I knew exactly what was going to happen to HOLY CRAP! I couldn't have asked for a more glorious spectacle. It's everything I want in an over the top destructive animated fight (for the most part, Saitama wasn't taking it seriously til the end but whatever.) The first half is straight up the show stealer as I was kind of just surprised the show stopped after going over a bunch of aftermath cliffnotes but yea.

This is a great adaption. I already love the material as I think its a great example of having a few smart things to say without being piss boring or letting it bog you down into 'crawling in my skin' angst but since Murata's version is as good as you can get with both (ONE'S)writing and artwork, especially the artwork I was really skeptical if any animation team could pull this series off. But by God they did and it's great. It gives me hope for Bone's Upcoming My hero academia and Mob Psycho (for which if anyone's complaining about the OPM's lack of substance, while I disagree I think this series may have more of what you're looking for, since it is SUPER character driven.)

I'm definitely getting the blu-ray when this comes out and I'm glad Daisuki picked this up for legal streaming.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I am kind of ashamed of saying this despite enjoying everything OPM had to offer up until this point, but episode 12 just seemed a little bit underwhelming compared to the previous action scenes because the brawl in episode 12 just seemed way too simple. The imaginary fight at episode 1 seemed way more epic than the one presented here. Also, this fight had way too much time where they reduced Boros and Saitama to lasers dancing around a fighting arena and rarely showed small physical interaction between their fists and kicks. If it was me, I would have given episode 12 a B+.
Dai_Setsudan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Overall, it was a very pretty show and the humour works well IMO because it allows the genuinely epic moments to stand tall (unlike all the faux "serious business" moments that get mocked). However as things stand it feels somewhat incomplete.

At the end of episode 12 I feel like I've experienced a very good first chapter rather than a full story. Between Genos' quest, the way that Amai Mask seems to be set up as a future villain, the way characters like Sonic and Tornado get so much screen time despite really contributing nothing, it just feels like the beginning of something more.

Hopefully there will be a second season and it won't just be yet another show with a "go read the manga" ending.

Also, complete side note but was I the only one who thought the HQ rebuild was another example of them re-enforcing their existing system? The class A and S heroes get yet another perk.
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
you'd be hard-pressed to find a more perfectly realized pure action series in not only animation, but live-action as well.

You hit the nail right on the head, Hope. Said the exact same thing on my review on the B3 site. No superhero show -- be it Agents of SHIELD, The Flash, or Jessica Jones -- came close to what OPM accomplished in its 12-episode run. Seriously: this was the TV event of the year.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Gee whiz, a bishonen voiced by Miyano turns out be a total asshat? What are the odds. Really wish Pompadour Bat Man would smack the pretty off his face but, maybe in season 2 if Madhouse continues the series.

OPM is what a real popcorn series should be: straight forward story with visuals that dazzle and crazy heroics that tells physics to take a vacation. I fell off my couch in the end where Saitama screams in agony "One punch again!? DAMN IT ALL!!" The battle was so tractably insane that the art work started looking like jagged crayon marks and squiggly neon pink energy lines. Fun is the both an understatement and best way to describe the show; perfect for new anime fans to pick up.

Looking forward to the OVAs and whatever plans Viz have to milk to heck out of OPM.
Punisherrr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Sure, it's not the end-all-be-all of anime as a medium for deep artistic storytelling, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a more perfectly realized pure action series in not only animation, but live-action as well.

I am one of the weird people who is not in love with One-Punch Man, and this quote sums up my reasons. Yes, OPM has fantastic action and animation, but I need a deeper story to really care.

That being said, I hope another season of OPM is made.

I know right! Im one of those people as well. I dont get the hype, at all. To me its another SAO and akame ga kill. It is good but doesnt even come close to the hype. The protaganist, villains and side characters are very sub-par bland characters or they are very generic. The only side character I like would be Genos. Im glad its over. Now people can return to sanity and return to loving other series. Because of opm I feel as if noragami, gundam and seraph of the end didn't get much love

Episode 12 was a huge disappointment for me.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the people who were not impressed by the main battle in the finale. I understand that Saitama is supposed to be overpowered, but he was practically a punching bag for the entire battle until he decided to hit back. His challenge never seemed to escalate.

That's not impressive to watch, especially when most of the battle is superspeed and lasers that are less impressive than actual hand-to-hand combat. At some point I would have liked to see Saitama have to strategize to win.

Last edited by Gasero on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At long last, Saitama no longer has to settle for one weak-willed punch in combat against an opponent. Sure, it's sad that his heart's not really into it because he's so disgusted by Boros's perspective as a rival, but at least the showdown forces him to get serious on a physical level if nothing else.

I think the reviewer is trying to read into Saitama a little too hard. Saitama doesn't care about the motivations of the people he fights, he just wants an exciting fight, and Boros still couldn't provide that. He says it was a good fight but Boros called him out on that, he's just too strong, and even his serious punch is the equivalent of a normal person throwing a strong punch, it's not like he had to push himself to his limit. The fact that Boros tells him that he's just too strong is depressing because he feels that he won't be able to find someone who can match him. The manga does a better job of portraying that, and later on when he meets someone who can actually put up more of a fight he's really excited.
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Okay, everything good and bad has already been said, so I'm just going to skip over that and jump straight to season 2 speculation:

So I know Mad House is infamous for NOT doing season 2's, but money talks, right? So if the O-P Man BDs sell well, I'm sure Mad House will consider it. I mean it's not impossible, since Mad House is the studio behind Ace of Diamond, and that's been airing for more than two years now. Granted, AoD ha sponsors, but maybe O-P Man can get sponsors too. Pizza Hut FTW.

Conclusion: I do not believe that there will not be a season 2.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least we've reached the end, I know people will have issues stating the good/bad, but I don't care, its awesome, and seeing it all the way through was an experience.

But yeah, if only ever a second season would appear! You never know...
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the show's bound to get a season 2 sooner or later.

Gasero wrote:
I agree with the people who were not impressed by the main battle in the finale. I understand that Saitama is supposed to be overpowered, but he was practically a punching bag for the entire battle until he decided to hit back. His challenge never seemed to escalate.

That's not impressive to watch, especially when most of the battle is superspeed and lasers that are less impressive than actual hand-to-hand combat. At some point I would have liked to see Saitama have to strategize to win.

For me, despite the fact that Boros wasn't a challenge for Saitama, just seeing Boros go nutso was something else. It was a pure, unadulterated spectacle. And if Saitama had to actually work for his win, it wouldn't be funny.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
And we cut off right before we start getting into King and Fubuki who are probably the most interesting characters in the series (the latter especially) due to their backstories and motivations. Still, a fun romp and no doubt Madhouse will do a second season when Murata finally gets around to finishing the current arc (which is being delayed due to ONE slipping on the web comic)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 21