• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ace of Diamond (TV) (All Seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordMaou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Not too sure it makes sense to put in Furuya at this point, but maybe he sees it as giving them extra motivation to wrap things up.

Well also from looking who's up at bat this is the third rotation that they'd have Sawamura, so they could be used to his pitches. Which is why Kataoka normally used a pitcher relay in order to not give the batters time to adjust to the pitcher that they then have to deal with a new style. Also I think Yakushi has seen Furuya's breaking ball right? Since I believe he learned it after the summer game with them.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 51:

I got some slight tears for the ending, mostly because at seeing how everyone came together and celebrated after all their hard work. And the amount of reflection with the theme song played really bought a solid ending.

Seido will be playing again for sure in the future so if they decide to announce season 3, I'll be excited to see it. Good show overall.

Proud of Eijun and their team this season!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Who said there's no crying in baseball?

Poor Miyuki was practically hallucinating after the game. Very Happy

I really liked the version of the piano theme they did during Kataoka's speech. Also glad to see Ochiai finally come around. Had he gotten a little grayer by Koshien? And Furuya's grandfather sitting with Sawamura's family at Koshien made me happy.

As for the episode itself, it was kinda weird to build up the last half inning only to zip through it like that (to faux Ride of the Valkyries to boot! Laughing) I guess they sort of had to though. I also didn't expect them to leap ahead to Koshien yet. Makes a 3rd season less likely somehow. Sad

Gonna miss this.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
^^
The anime seasons we just watched were an adaptation of 46 volumes of manga spanning almost 9 years. "Act II" hasn't even had a single volume published yet... I think that was an adequate stopping point. We have quite a wait for anything other than a special or two.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
^^
The anime seasons we just watched were an adaptation of 46 volumes of manga spanning almost 9 years. "Act II" hasn't even had a single volume published yet... I think that was an adequate stopping point. We have quite a wait for anything other than a special or two.

Actually, vol.3 of Act 2 comes out in May. But yes, it'll be a long wait before we get a third season.

The way they blazed through Furuya's pitching made it seem like they just ran out of episodes and put it in FF. ^^; That was a bit of a bummer since there was little to no emotion in it all. The aftermath was handled well though. I think the series needed at least one more episode.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Okay, the wiki I found must be behind on that.

It does list chapter titles though and looking at them I doubt very much that the manga spent any significant time on Furuya's frame either.

spoiler[ Chapter 407: ["Desire to Keep Pitching"]
Chapter 408: ["Failure as the Captain"]
Chapter 409: ["Curtain Falls"]
Chapter 410: ["Door"]
Chapter 411: ["Seek Diamonds"]]

I'm assuming a lot but it looks like those 5 chapters start with Sawamura being denied the 9th inning and figuring that most of the rest, like the episode, focus on the post game with only one or two chapters devoted to the last three outs.
It makes sense- they had spent time on those batters already and we basically knew everything Furuya and Miyuki were going through. So, just a flashy mow down was all that was needed.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Even though they zipped through it, Furuya was pretty awesome. In a way, it even strengthens his standing as a pitcher--he just goes in and destroys the opposition.

And we see a different side to Miyuki after the game~ I've come to appreciate Zono, Kuramochi, and Miyuki's relationship. It's been a rocky road, but they're in a good place now. MoreShirasuthoughplease. I'm also happy with the portrayal of Sawamura and Furuya's rivalry. Though they both obviously want the ace title and are frustrated when the other advances, they still genuinely respect each other. It's a healthy challenge that'll push both of them to succeed. Not to mention it shows how comfortable Furuya is in a team setting now.

Once the next manga has enough content, I hope they bring it back. It's been part of my routine for too long!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so miserable. Very Happy

RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:49 am Reply with quote
^
While I'm generally not a fan of anime filler, I think I honestly would've liked to see episodes taking place in winter.

I'm also sorta glad that Ochiai wound up being more than just the "adversarial coach."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they skipped over it in the manga too, but I'd like to see what they did about Jingu. If they let Miyuki sit it out, it would have been nice to see the other catcher, whose name I can't even remember, finally get a chance to shine. Maybe they could do that for an OVA.

I also felt kinda sad that the fans didn't even give Kawakami a nod for his pitching. Sad
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If they let Miyuki sit it out, it would have been nice to see the other catcher, whose name I can't even remember, finally get a chance to shine.

His name is Ono. =)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Ace of Diamond Act II is here! So I guess discussion should be here too.

1-3
I think it got off to less than a dynamic start, but seems to have nearly hit its stride by episode 3. I don't quite get why they chose to skip over the two runs scored and fill that in by exposition by Inashiro's guys, while wasting all that time on repeated stills after the midpoint (cool music though). I'm enjoying watching the Hokkaido boys face off with their respective bespectacled catchers (of course Miyuki has the cooler plexi-specs to Enjou's sports frames). Smile

Despite this franchise's reluctance to actually animate anything, and over-reliance on stills and speed lines, one thing they really don't skimp on is the crowd shots. Any crowd shot where faces can be made out has no cut-and-paste repeaters (you only see those when the crowd is out of focus, and even then it's sparing), and the faces are at least as good as main characters in some anime when they farm out work in a pinch (even the Inashiro guys were sometimes off-model in this episode!). Just look at this bunch:

(click for larger image)

(click for larger image)

The bemused kid with the brilliant blue jacket just leaps off the screen here. But there's so much going on in this brief crowd shot. There's the guy with the binoculars, the kid complaining or explaining to his mother or sister (she looks too old to be his gf), the really happy kid directly above him, the woman in the pale green beret apparently shocked by the man in the trenchcoat for some reason, the dad with a cold, the obstinate bald guy who unlike most of the other men, even those with hair, refuses to cover his head in the cold. Someone was having fun drawing these shots.

(click for larger image)

I suspect some of these people may be actual people the animators know. The fine gentleman with the moustache below in particular seems out of place, and the two dead center in the first crowd shot (w/ hat and glasses), as well as the craggy fellow front and center above, also feel like shout-outs to me. In fact, hat and glasses guy shows up several more times in crowd shots, sitting next to different people.

.. .. ..

I hope this seemingly random reporter makes additonal appearances - I'd take him over Fujio Mine and his idiot gal sidekick any day.

I won't be surprised to see any of these shots show up again in other episodes, but on the other hand, given how unique they all are, I won't be surprised if they don't.

(edited to replace pics after host bit the dust)

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote

I hope I don't end up carrying this whole thread alone... >.>

It feels like they're wasting a lot of time when they have so much to cover. Hopefully that means they're expecting to get 52 or 75 episodes like the first part. And that they're saving their animation for some great action, 'cause they sure haven't shown us anything moving yet except for hair, uniforms and the ball. But c'mon, 6 full minutes of replaying the end of episode 3? This early in the season? This isn't One Piece.

Anyway, I liked how they handled the end of the game, and the bullpen dirt scene was really nice. Somehow they still do manage to communicate the feels, even with mostly static shots. I felt bad for Furuya when Hongo wouldn't shake his hand. He really looked bewildered, like he'd done something wrong by offering it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote

Welp, looks like it's just you and me, Gina. Smile

All I have to say about this episode is...eyes!!! Omg, EYES!!!!!!

That, and the new crop of kids looks like they'll be fun. I especially like Yui. And I'm never happier than when evil Miyuki thinks he's having fun.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah finally seeing his eyes is amusing, but I do like his old look better.

Goatee coach is there because Kataoka decided to resign, right? Is that still a thing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 23