• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I’m sorry to be dredging up the Shield Hero topic again, but I can’t help thinking there’s a misconception here.

thadec wrote:
1. Naofumi ... actually never went "woe is me" and more importantly never sought revenge against anyone. If he had at any point gone "woe is me" he wouldn't have had the mindset necessary to get stronger and survive.

This is a nonsensical point to me. Not the point about him seeking revenge for what happened, I mean, because he didn’t. But the show manages to frame revenge as something he’d have been justified in taking, and I don’t think he would have been, and I don’t think he needed to get stronger in order to survive, either.

He was accused and instantly convicted of a crime punishable by death, yet the king couldn’t give him a meaningful punishment at all, because he’s the Shield Hero. Which, logically, means that the king just declared that he’s above every single law. So why doesn’t Naofumi acknowledge that? Why does he act as if their laws affect/oppress him? Why is his reaction to abandon his morals to commit technically legal acts (slavery), when he would be free to commit technically illegal but morally justifiable acts (steal food)? Why does he choose to risk his life for people who are giving blatantly contradictory signals about whether they need him to or not? Wouldn’t it have made more sense for him to lay low and wait for authorities to come to him with an actually sane request?
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also hope early voters will pick Summer Time Rendering, which doesn't debut until tomorrow (?). Don't know if it'll be any good, but the premise looks interesting.

I agree completely, so I already voted for it! Very Happy

I remember seeing the promo back in the fall(?) and being really intrigued. I do love a good mystery.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
Not the point about him seeking revenge for what happened, I mean, because he didn’t. But the show manages to frame revenge as something he’d have been justified in taking, and I don’t think he would have been, and I don’t think he needed to get stronger in order to survive, either.

Naofumi was summoned to this world to be the Shield Hero and save the world from the Waves. If he and the other summoned heroes fail in that charge, the whole world dies, including the summoned heroes. If you want to live, sounds like a good reason to get stronger.

Naofumi was summoned to a country that hates him because he is the Shield Hero, and hates him because of the false accusation. He is 'persona non grata'. Only a few people are willing to help him, despite the rest of society hating him. How do you survive when even the merchants won't sell you food to eat. Naofumi has to terrorize and threaten the merchants to do what we can do easily.

This not a world of law and order, it is a world where might makes right. In such a world, only the strongest can effect change. Whether it is strength of arms or intelligence. A world where murder and death is easy, and nobles can get away with murdering, torturing and enslaving entire towns within their domains.

No matter how unpalatable it is in today's world, revenge is an option for those whom society, law, and justice fail. Otherwise you only have acceptance left, which can be a slow death for those whom the infraction was severe. No easy answer in today's world.

Naofumi doesn't live in our world, he lives in a world where the law supports those in power. They make the rules. There are no elections and there is no justice, except for what the powerful want. While the Queen has changed things, the monarchy still exists, and nobles are still powerful. In this world revenge does make more sense, but at the end of the day, revenge is still a powerful personal decision with far reaching effects.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:48 pm Reply with quote
blameitonStarBlazers wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also hope early voters will pick Summer Time Rendering, which doesn't debut until tomorrow (?). Don't know if it'll be any good, but the premise looks interesting.

I agree completely, so I already voted for it! Very Happy

I remember seeing the promo back in the fall(?) and being really intrigued. I do love a good mystery.

It is probably unlikely because sadly, it would appear that it will be stuck in Disney Jail like BRS.

https://summertime-anime.com/onair/

ディズニープラスにて見放題独占配信 (You can watch it as much as you want, exclusively on Disney Plus Streaming Service)

ディズニーを通じて全世界にお届け!(It will be delivered to the entire world via Disney!)

※ディズニーでの配信につきましては、中国本土は除きます (except in China)

I guess they could ask the Reviewer who lives in Japan to do it.

Last edited by minamikaze on Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:03 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Naofumi was summoned to this world to be the Shield Hero and save the world from the Waves. If he and the other summoned heroes fail in that charge, the whole world dies, including the summoned heroes. If you want to live, sounds like a good reason to get stronger.

Naofumi was summoned to a country that hates him because he is the Shield Hero, and hates him because of the false accusation. He is 'persona non grata'. Only a few people are willing to help him, despite the rest of society hating him. How do you survive when even the merchants won't sell you food to eat. Naofumi has to terrorize and threaten the merchants to do what we can do easily.

Right. This is what I meant when I said the people were giving him blatantly contradictory signals about whether they need him or not. So why does he play by their rules rather than call their bluff? Their lives are just as on the line as his.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:43 am Reply with quote
Probablytomorrow wrote:
Right. This is what I meant when I said the people were giving him blatantly contradictory signals about whether they need him or not. So why does he play by their rules rather than call their bluff? Their lives are just as on the line as his.

Not sure I understand your point? The Waves get stronger each time. Failure makes things worse. The citizens and rulers of Melromarc are not bluffing, they simply believe they don't need the Shield Hero to save them. After all, who wants to be saved by those they hate. Rationality doesn't matter.

If Naofumi sits the Waves out, everyone will die, including Naofumi and the ones he cares about. This is not a poker game. Think you forgot that he was already threatened with death, (by a power higher than Melromarc) if he didn't fulfill his role. So a new Shield Hero could be summoned.
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
Why should Naofumi believe everything the people tell him if they’re already irrational? It seems to me that’s the right time to start doubting their story. And you’re right, I don’t remember him being threatened by “a power higher than Melromarc.” Was that before or after he’d already chosen to risk his life for them?

EDIT: I'm derailing the thread. I'll stop here.

Last edited by Probablytomorrow on Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:34 am Reply with quote
Estab-Life: Great Escape, you fooled me. Smile The last couple of eps are parodies of bang-bang adventure shows. And tolerably funny, if not outright hilarious.

Ep 5 takes dead aim at the anime fixation on underware and panty shots, and while it ain't a Voltaire satire, I got a few chuckles out of it, enough that now I'm going to keep watching. This ep takes place in a sub-society where every building has a hot springs/bath house built in to it. Everyone we see, except for a wannabe run-away priestess, dresses in bath towels or bath robes, evidently ready to jump in at a moments notice. And it is rigorously required that All Go Commando - no undies allowed. ( They can cause "itchies." ) To the point that everyone can sense ( psychically? ) when somebody doesn't follow the rules, like one of the escape team. Humorous complications do indeed follow, and a bit of bang-bang.

PS I think this is a good 3DCG show. Facial expressions worked for me. Be warned if you absolutely hate those.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I gave episode 2 of Skull Knight a shot, after numerous opinions informed me that it does in fact get much better. And...still not really impressed. Nothing bad, really, just dull. The story seems to be taking its sweet time to get anywhere interesting. Which is perhaps not the tactic I'd have preferred, since the show is already on thin ice with me.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:04 pm Reply with quote
ep 2 of skeleton- I'm not a d&d guy so maybe i'm easily impressed, but I thought it was ok. Not fantastic, but an ok set-up, good fight scene, tiny bit of plot development. And nothing offensive like the first ep. Warnings for this ep seem unnecessary.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:00 am Reply with quote
Summer Time Rendering episode 1 with English subs but at low resolution 360p has been available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2w3NVyZtvU (Wonderland Studio channel) for a few days.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:02 am Reply with quote
This doesn't look like an official YouTube channel? It has about 100 subscribers and isn't verified.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Summer Time Rendering ep1. Looks like a well made production, mostly slow moving Jp type mystery, and maybe horror?

TLDR Pet peeve of mine - I would be more impressed if it didn't switch from a waking dream abruptly into a face plant into a women's breasts, which could have come out of any poorly made rom-com. However - it immediately turns back into a well paced, interesting, "isolated place has spooky stuff happening' show. The contrast makes me think the creators want us off-balance, never knowing if something is serious or not. Which is a good trick for mystery show to achieve, for sure; I just think it didn't work well for me. Rolling Eyes

And it gets extremely serious for a bit towards the very end. ( possible violence trigger spoiler ) spoiler[ We see three people shot dead very realistically.] But then they ( style) spoiler[ yank us hard again.] Specific plot point spoiler[ Put us back to the boob plant, at the beginning, as though it was all a dream. ]

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good production. I am not offended by boob plants by themselves, where appropriate. Very Happy I just hate Satoshi Kon style "what is real what isn't" story telling. It is a personal pet peeve of mine. If that was what the creators were aiming for, they succeeded quite well.

I do want to see this show now, I hope it keeps streaming somewhere besides the house of mouse. And I hope it gets an official channel, so ANN can do some kind of write ups.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Summer Time Rendering seems quite promising from the first two episodes. Seems like they’re going for something similar to Higurashi but less ambiguous on the spoiler[supernatural/sci-fi] side and presented in a more realistic style. Technical quality is unusually high. The story is intriguing and since ratings for the manga look good hopefully it won’t implode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:42 am Reply with quote
So A Couple of Kooks finally debuted and it was awful. I was hoping for maybe an explanation of how they managed to mix up babies of different sexes and hair colors, but nope. Were the hospital staff afraid to look to note their apparent sex at birth? The girl's mother saw her at birth before they took her to the nursery, but she didn't notice that the baby she got back had black hair now? Presumably the same for the boy's mother?

Then we start off their meeting with a falling boob grope which leads to blackmail. :sigh: It really didn't get any better from there. The only nice moment was his little sister being worried that she was going to lose her brother to a new family.

I dunno, I'm not sure I've seen a less plausible set-up since Marmalade Boy's parent swap to get the main couple living together or otherwise entangled. I'm out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21