• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hyouka (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
infiltration.cru wrote:
phew. still on the fence about the series. if it weren't for great character designs and animation in general i might have dropped it after this episode.
spoiler[someone going to such lengths to cover up that he's been smoking in a classroom?! come on, that's plain ridiculous.]

Yeah, this one was a bit silly. I've forgiven the past two as necessary to convince Chitanda of Houtarou's abilities (and I thought they were decent mini-mysteries and "con") but this one was pretty bad. Even in uptight Japan you'd figure they could tell the guy spoiler["Hey, it's obvious, we're not narcs so just give us the books... and stop bogarting that sh!t, pass the spliff, dude!"]

i actually facepalmed myself very forcefully out of pure disbelief.spoiler[ i was expecting major drug-lab stuff]...it just constantly feels like the show is ripping you off by building up a quite engaging atmosphere and then simply jumping out of the closet going "wahaha, we got you, it's actually really boring."

Quote:
I was also taken aback at the original mystery as explained.spoiler[ "I asked my Uncle something... I don't remember what... and his answer really upset me... not that I can remember what he said... could you help me?"
So you don't remember the question or the answer? Sure, no problem. ]

I'm pretty forgiving but if they hadn't spoiler[explained at least a bit of the mystery the way they did at the end of the episode, ], I might have given up on the show as being unnecessarily obtuse.

yeah i guess it will basically be something along the lines ofspoiler[ her uncle] having done [insert story that is usually not noteworthy outside of bored every day conversations].

i really want to like this but it's just been really frustrating to watch sympathetic characters move through boring stories that pretend to be so much more than they really are. i guess fans might argue that it's a deconstruction of the mystery genre but i don't see that much debt so far or any hints of the show being "aware" of its being ridiculous in that aspect.
Norbie

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I definitely love this series; in fact it may be one of my favourite of the season. I can understand how somebody would find it dull, but I love the characters, art and animation so much that I'm enthralled. I could easily have immediately re-watched the episode. I absolutely adore Chitanda and watching her drag Hotaro into situations never fails to crack me up. I notice from the ANN Encyclopedia page that the subtitle for the show is You Can't Escape, which certainly encapsulates Hotaro's plight.

From a pure technical standpoint, this series really highlights that KyoAni + high budget = visual sex for the eyes.

Agree...... Totally.

To me the number one aspect to how I judge an anime is the art and this show is all beauty.

Certainly it could all fall apart but i don't see that happening since story wise it has a simple concept.

Looking forward to more episoded in HD Very Happy

Be nice
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:14 am Reply with quote
Norbie wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I definitely love this series; in fact it may be one of my favourite of the season. I can understand how somebody would find it dull, but I love the characters, art and animation so much that I'm enthralled. I could easily have immediately re-watched the episode. I absolutely adore Chitanda and watching her drag Hotaro into situations never fails to crack me up. I notice from the ANN Encyclopedia page that the subtitle for the show is You Can't Escape, which certainly encapsulates Hotaro's plight.

From a pure technical standpoint, this series really highlights that KyoAni + high budget = visual sex for the eyes.

Agree...... Totally.

To me the number one aspect to how I judge an anime is the art and this show is all beauty.

Certainly it could all fall apart but i don't see that happening since story wise it has a simple concept.

Looking forward to more episoded in HD Very Happy

Be nice

it certainly does not fall apart, no. it just tells you "oh there's this amazing thing that's gonna happen next" and then it just smacks you in the face and laughs at you. in a way, this series is the essence of nelson muntz.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
nothing on the last episode yet?
this one finally got me going, their spoiler[research meeting] was very interesting and it seemed to finally amount to more than boring everyday stuff.
and then came bored guy's explanation. i literally fell out of the sky.
fortunately enough, chitanda doesn't seem to believe it either and suspects that there's more to the whole story than spoiler[someone standing up to the teachers because of a culture fair.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:20 am Reply with quote
Some of it was a bit hard to follow that you had to rely on sumaries to get the points, but I did stay fairly interested through the little research thing.

I figured that it could not be all, there is still something more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:22 am Reply with quote
I actually found the episode pretty boring. Let's face it, the whole thing was basically four people sitting around, talking. Oh well.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I actually found the episode pretty boring. Let's face it, the whole thing was basically four people sitting around, talking. Oh well.

whereas the rest was...? Very Happy
don't hate, they basically just stopped walking while they talked.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not as if the first two episodes were heart-stopping slices of plot excitement, but unlike you, I actually found the mini-mysteries fun. There also seemed to be more humour involved as things about the characters were introduced. In this last episode, nothing new was introduced and it was basically just a dry recitation. There were fewer clever, interesting visual whirlygigs, too.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this uncle thing is amounting to something that's actually worth it, and not just a BS sob-story over pseudo-rape. Yes, I know rape is a serious subject, but anime tends to handle it offhanded and misguided ways to lessen any kind of impact, trauma, or emotion a real event would have caused. So, I just really hope her uncle didn't touch her, because that would make me roll my eyes and drop the show for wanting to preserve brain cells. This story had better be headed somewhere.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I really hope this uncle thing is amounting to something that's actually worth it, and not just a BS sob-story over pseudo-rape. Yes, I know rape is a serious subject, but anime tends to handle it offhanded and misguided ways to lessen any kind of impact, trauma, or emotion a real event would have caused. So, I just really hope her uncle didn't touch her, because that would make me roll my eyes and drop the show for wanting to preserve brain cells. This story had better be headed somewhere.
From the things presented this far, I think it is quite safe to say that nothing in the series has to do with rape. For me it is difficult to understand how did you even think about it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

If you ask me, it could have fell in the same trap a lot of anime adapted from light novels did by having long strings of info-dumping (I'm looking at you Horizon and Index). The peeps at KyoAni were smart by having each member say what they have to say (plus have accompanied visuals which REALLY boosts KyoAni's creativity) while having a small interlude in between. Then you have all these elements put together into a cohesive and natural flow, and thus you got yourself an engaging conversation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:52 am Reply with quote
I didn't find their conversation engaging. It gave me the info I "needed" I guess, but it didn't interest me. And I'm a fan of this show and these characters.
Otishio

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
After episode 5 I'm pretty much on the fence with this show. I'm tempted to just drop the show as it's doing nothing for me but I'm slightly engaged by just how spectacular the show looks. I really hope that the next arc they do is a good one and keeps me excited for more episodes as this just isn't doing it for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, we know what the mystery was, and I actually feel rather content with it, I don't really know how Hyouka translates to spoiler[ice cream], but I felt a good amount of accomplishment when after a few seconds that it meant spoiler["I scream".] It felt like a plausable answer to it all, that it is sad that spoiler[he was forced into be the publicly known figurehead, the revolting got out of hand, and he was blamed for school damage. The inclusion that he screamed for the others help, but no one listened to him, chances are he wrote something rather strong in the first issue.]

But the mysteries better get meatier, we need it, maybe it will be a point that this was just to get main character to want to put some effort in.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't really know how Hyouka translates to spoiler[ice cream]

spoiler[Hyouka is just a really dated term for ice cream or sherbet. In fact, the kanji 氷菓 (hyouka) also uses two of the same kanji found in the more common word 氷菓子 (koorigashi), which is the word used to refer to a frozen treat.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11